Sponsored by: DP Tuner

to do banks big hoss or not

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:03 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
to do banks big hoss or not

As some of you may have seen in a different post, I am unhappy with my edge juice with attitude. I am thinking of replacing it with a banks big hoss bundle. I currently have a magnaflow 4in exhaust, mac cold air intake and the edge juice, along with egt,trans, and boost gauges. I guess Iam thinking of going with the banks kit because it is a complete package, I assume is designed to work together. Is it worth the money? or do you guys think I should save my money and try somthing different. I hate to waste the exhaust and other things I have already bought. Let me know oyur opinions.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:34 PM
ponch37300
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think just about everyone on this site will tell you that a chip from jody will out perform any other chio or programmer out there. I will find out next week when i recieve mine that i ordered from him. Then your other mods won't go to waste. If his chip is anything like his customer service i won't be dissapointed at all. Just my opinion since i don't have the chip yet but from what i read on this site, which has always been wise advice, jody's chip is the best.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Lance_I
Senior User
Fordboy the Big Hoss bundle is a good setup but, if you already have and exhaust and intake you don't need it. Look at my sig I've got most of the setup still on my truck. I bought all of mine seperately though. The intercooler issomething you need but, at the time I got mine there weren't many others making them. From the looks of the spearco intercooler I would say it's just as good or better than the Banks. The bighead wastegate is woth the money if you plan on keeping your stock turbo awhile. The compressor wheel is exactly the same as any other aftermarket comp wheel. As for the chip, I like mine but, I'm gonna get a Dp after I upgrade my fuel, and turbo systems. Don't get me wrong the chip has loads of power but, it's either off or 120hp with mine. Save your money and shop around. The Banks kit is good but most of the price is in the name.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:17 PM
cemeflybyu
Junior User
What are you looking to get out of your truck? What do you use it for? The Edge on a 7.3L does leave room for improvement if it is the only tuning piece you are using. I can personally GUARANTEE you that all you need to do to wake that 7.3L is keep exactley what you have and stack the Edge evolution on top of it. The Juice w/ is only designed to add fuel, monitor whats going on and back things down to a safe level if things get out of hand. It does not offer any additional tuning enhancement to the transmission, be it shift points or firmness (line pressure) That is the realm of a tuner. These 2 products are designed to work TOGETHER complementing each other not work against each other. What makes me so sure of this? I have 123946 miles on this same setup on my 2001 Excursion and my truck outruns 6.0L's, Duramax trucks and even the 600 series Dodge truck on a regular basis both on the road and at the strip. You do not need to drop a ton of cash on a banks set up. Just get what you need to finish off what you have. The Evolution, a Bighead wastegate, and at somepoint down the road you can either add a banks cooler or save a ton of money and keep your cooler and add a methanol kit. I run my Evo on level 2 and my juice on level 5, I get 21.9-22.1 running empty and 14.5-16.8 loaded dependng on the state/terrain I am running in, and loaded or empty I NEVER turn it down. My normal load is a 24ft trailer with my Mustang, 3 craftsman tool chests, 10 NO2 bottles, 4 wheeler, tent etc etc and I have a 2 mile long mountain to pull whenever I go to the track. I hit the bottom at 75-80 and top out dead on 75 everytime. I have my max EGT set at 1350 and once the Juice gets there on the climb it defuels 100% and drops me back to my "stock" tune up which again is the 80hp setting on my evo. You will swaer you are in a different truck. Why swap out to a different programmer when a programmer cant think for it self, adjust itself, keep from melting something down. You have a very reliable base in place, dont throw in the towel on it now, just finish it off.

If you have anymore questions feel free to call me at your earliest convieniance!

Thanks!
Daniel
www.DieselUp.com
877-402.9320

Old 08-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Mark at DPPI
Elder User
fordboy2,

SAVE what you already have. The cheapest and easiest way for you to get waaay more HP is to stack the Edge Evolution with the Juice/Attitude you already have. They are designed to work together and the change is a ton!! If you want call us and we'll be glad to help you on it.

Mark @ DPPI

Old 08-07-2006, 08:54 PM
cemeflybyu
Junior User
Hey, thats what I said, just without any details.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:12 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im not in business to sell you anything, so i wont try to. however i will give you firsthand experience and an unbiased opinion.

i had the juice/attitude setup and hated how it made the transmission shift. even with the sonnax/springs installed you literally could not FEEL it shift. sure it billowed out the black smoke. that was about it. it didnt send much power to the tires. i then stacked the EVO to try and get some shifting to be felt. $300 later, i had even more smoke and higher EGT's. i could feel a power difference, however it wasn't much. the transmission now shifted, and it shifted hard. even with the 60hp tune in for easier shifting and defuel on WOT shifts for the attitude, it shifted amazingly hard. too hard in fact. then i sold the juice/attitude and ran the evo with 3 autometers while i got some $$ saved for a chip. then i pulled the evo out and sold it, and got the chip installed. i could not believe the difference. the chip claims to add less power, but it is a hell of a lot more power if you ask the back of my seat. the touchiness from the excessive ICP with the fueling box/tuner stacked is gone too, its all smooth power now. plus i get options such as no start, hi idle, and other custom tunes that you dont get off the shelf with a generic fueling box.

looking back i was a rookie, going through the phases. i didnt know better, but i do now. i got the Edge products, because they market really well, and that is all you need to sell products nowadays. word of mouth is working for the more educated people, as you see them going from generic things such as Banks and Edge to DPtuner and BTS.

i will never leave a chip, in fact im getting a custom DP chip after a few other mods. never going back to flash tuners or fueling boxes again!

Old 08-07-2006, 10:28 PM
nikates
Senior User
you know before you go out and spend any money i would go in to ther mi chapter and see if anyone close to you has a edge evo and stack it i promise you that you wont be disappointed. if you lived closer to me id let you.

good luck

Old 08-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Ditto Kris. Was looking hard at a tuner but found out here that a flip chip was the way to go. Don't have the DP but my TS is absolutely satisfying. If that DP is that much better, then I will eventually get one, but for now my TS is a smoker. I won't abandon it until I find a good reason. That means a DP test drive. Watch that marketing and allure of a tuner and gauges all in one. You may end up fixing all of that in the end.

All of this learned right here. Not to mention what a bargain I got on my TS 6pos chip.

Last edited by Tenn01PSD350; 08-07-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:15 PM
cemeflybyu
Junior User
True, I am in business to sell parts. Also true I run this same setup EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY DAY, both empty and towing. If there is a way to break something you can rest assured I will find it quicker than most any other person on the face of the earth. I would be more than happy to extend the invitation to come down and visit on this issue while making the pulls I make to the track and back and would readily put this combo up against any other chip/tuner setup on a 7.3L. This setup will easily out pull SAFELY any other tuner/module either individually or stacked at a higher power level on the road.

Steady runs with a switch chip through mountainous terrain while towing will leave a driver with only a few different scenarios:

1.) Turned down to "tow safe" leaving power and mileage on the table
2.) Cranked up and flirting with dangerous EGT's b/c the chip only knows to add what you told it to add and nothing more, nothing less.
3.) A driver that it unsafe because he is trying to make an old maually adjusted system work like an automated one by staring at an EGT gauge and then working the **** back and forth like grandpa floyd turning the tuner **** on the am radio in his 57 buick instead of watching the road in front of him.
4.) Of course there is always the more expensive route of going to a switch chip and then investing in a bigger intercooler, and or methanol in order to "try" to run the chip on a higher setting in an attempt to stretch the $3+ per gallon diesel to a better avg MPG/improved performance, but how long would it take to offset the cost of the intercooler as well as the countless jugs a washer fluid.

Why worry with all that nonsense when all you have to do is point and shoot?

Based on what he has, dollar for dollar the best solution is keeping what he has and maximizing it.

Last edited by cemeflybyu; 08-07-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:25 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
true, you have a good point. you are a good salesman.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:36 PM
cemeflybyu
Junior User
Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment....?

Old 08-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
No argument here. Matter of choice.

Edit: A matter of choice. Nobody else drives my truck. I have those gauges so I can watch what's happening. I can back out of it or get on it. My call. I have yet to see something that tells me you're done. So I look and hammer it when I feel like it. Isn't that what we're talking about? Sans dyno #s, we'll skip all that, but my rig moves out for a 4 ton beast.

Last edited by Tenn01PSD350; 08-14-2006 at 12:16 AM.