IP and injector rebuild, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 12:02 AM
roadbike21
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IP and injector rebuild, HELP!!!

I have a 1986 F-250 with a 6.9L International engine. I have just begun my biodiesel project and have made a couple of batches. I have yet to run any through my truck because I have not changed the gas lines on my truck just yet. I have also heard that for these older model trucks you must also rebuild the IP and the injectors with new o-rings and gaskets. is this really true?? has anyone tried running biodiesel and it actually wear down the o-rings and gaskets. if this is all true where does one go in order to get the IP and injectors rebuilt or can someone with limited mechanic skills do something of this nature. thanks in advance to all who reply. i greatly appreciate these forums. i couldnt make it with you guys.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:25 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by roadbike21
I have a 1986 F-250 with a 6.9L International engine. I have just begun my biodiesel project and have made a couple of batches. I have yet to run any through my truck because I have not changed the gas lines on my truck just yet. I have also heard that for these older model trucks you must also rebuild the IP and the injectors with new o-rings and gaskets. is this really true?? has anyone tried running biodiesel and it actually wear down the o-rings and gaskets. if this is all true where does one go in order to get the IP and injectors rebuilt or can someone with limited mechanic skills do something of this nature. thanks in advance to all who reply. i greatly appreciate these forums. i couldnt make it with you guys.
Never heard of having to rebuild the IP or injectors! Just change the rubber fuel lines and go!

I've been using B-100 for almost 3 years and haven't had any problems yet. I even use it in a 1952 HD-6 dozer with no problems.

I use clear poly hose from Ace Hardware, with a cheep clear filter before my main filter, so I can see any crud before it gets to the main filter.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:11 AM
roadbike21
Junior User
awesome fabman, thanks for the reply. i was scared i was about to begin a HUGE amount of work to rebuild the IP and injectors. I had heard some guys say they had talked to Ford about this and they were saying you had to rebuild it all. I was sure Ford was just trying to cover their butts though. So I can just go and ask for clear poly hose at Ace hardware and use that to run for all of my fuel lines on my truck???

Old 08-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=roadbike21I was sure Ford was just trying to cover their butts though.[/QUOTE]

Do ya really think they would do that

Old 08-03-2006, 05:52 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by roadbike21
awesome fabman, thanks for the reply. i was scared i was about to begin a HUGE amount of work to rebuild the IP and injectors. I had heard some guys say they had talked to Ford about this and they were saying you had to rebuild it all. I was sure Ford was just trying to cover their butts though. So I can just go and ask for clear poly hose at Ace hardware and use that to run for all of my fuel lines on my truck???
Yep, that's all there is to it! Mine have been on there for three years............

FABMANDELUX.

Old 08-05-2006, 12:43 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the Injection pump does not have any rubber? To rebuild that is only about 100 or so bucks.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:53 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
With a 86 I would have some extra fuel filters and wrenches with me because the crud in the tank will be in the filter with the high biodiesel blend cleaning the tank.