1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Wiring Diagram needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:24 PM
idealtrucks
Laughing Gas
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Wiring Diagram needed

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1971 model? I'm trying to diagnose my brake light and turn signals not working.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I know FTE would you prefer support its sponsors that sell Manuals so they will continue to make them. I will mention www.autozone.com for diagrams but please purchase one from someone asa they reall are a mechanic best friend.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:34 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't care if you purchase one or not, I just don't want FTE used for illegal diagrams. Autozone's are legal, but there is at least one renegade site full of illegal scans, violating copyright, and Ford's licensing legal team is fully aware of them (when the ax falls on things like that, the results aren't pretty). If I were you, I'd stick with either Autozone's, a borrowed manual from a library or a legally purchased copy.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:52 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have one for a 72. I think they're pretty much the same. I only have it in hard copy and am more than happy to send you a copy. It's only 2 pages. email or PM me your address.

Here's another idea. Our local library has an Alldata subscription and any library member can go down there and get on their intranet and access all of the Alldata info. I was able to get just about anything I've needed that way. Check with the library.

Last edited by qman; 08-02-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:52 PM
tonpartain
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does alldatay have information on our trucks? I didn't think they went back that far.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Autozone and alldata don't go back that far, alldata and mitchells only go back to the 80's, if that anymore, and autobone only has to 74.
What's not working? All power from the brake light switch goes through the turn signal switch, so if that's bad, then you won't have turn or brake lights. Generally, if the front lights come on when the brake pedal is pushed, then there is a short in the turn signal switch.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:40 AM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
I don't have a copy here, it's at the shop. Got it at the public library out of an old repair manual and made a copy of it on their copier. Sure hope Ford doesn't sue me and the library for making a copy of a wiring diagram from a 25 year old book of a 35 year old truck!!! I doubt that Ford considers it such proprietary information or such a closely guarded technological secret that they would bother getting me!!!!! They might though, GM could sure use a decent electrical system in their stuff!!!!!

Old 08-03-2006, 08:01 AM
idealtrucks
Laughing Gas
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I have park lights, but no brake lights or turn signals anywhere. I can hold down the brake pedal and turn the turn signal switch on and that side light will light up the brake, but not flash.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:32 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Dave Severson
I don't have a copy here, it's at the shop. Got it at the public library out of an old repair manual and made a copy of it on their copier. Sure hope Ford doesn't sue me and the library for making a copy of a wiring diagram from a 25 year old book of a 35 year old truck!!! I doubt that Ford considers it such proprietary information or such a closely guarded technological secret that they would bother getting me!!!!! They might though, GM could sure use a decent electrical system in their stuff!!!!!
That's not infringement. Republication is. Borrowing a book from the library and making a copy of a diagram isn't infringement. Taking that copy and publishing it on the internet would be.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:40 AM
workingdog
Senior User
Check:

Brake switch - remove and short across the connector and see what happens.
turn signal switch - remove the steering wheel and take a look at the turn signal switch. As stated the brake lights run through the turn signal switch - and they run through the hazard flasher as well.
Is your flasher working?
Are you hazards working?

Go to BlueOval and order the wiring manual - it's not that much and for a problem like this it is invaluable becuase nothing under the dash is wired like you might think.

Peter

Edit: Site TOS

Old 08-03-2006, 12:25 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your problem is most likely your turn signal switch. My turn signals, tail lights, and brake lights were all intermittent. Sometimes they'd work and sometimes they wouldn't. I put in a new switch and everything works perfectly now.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:18 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 851 Likes on 769 Posts
I do think there is a fuse fore the T/S brake light circuit. Just got through trouble-shooting son's 66 (prev owner cut a lot of wires) Where in SW VA I'm near Stuart when not in NY.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't recall a difference in the circuitry from 1967 to 1976.

The 77 TS is apparently different.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by webmaster
That's not infringement. Republication is. Borrowing a book from the library and making a copy of a diagram isn't infringement. Taking that copy and publishing it on the internet would be.
Wow, great!!! At least I don't have to worry about Ford coming after me for giving away some of their secrets...... Really doubt it would matter on a 35 year old electrical schematic.. But hey, in our great big wonderful world you can sue anybody for anything!!!!

Old 08-03-2006, 05:37 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Its not a matter of "secrets" or proprietary information. That's completely different from copyright, and it doesn't matter how old it is. Ford has companies that pay them to lots of money for the rights reproduce the originals and the people who pay get very upset when they see free scans on the Internet. I know of at 3 reproduction companies who have lodged complaints with Ford for scans of items much older than 35 years old.

Put it this way... if you wrote a book 35 years ago and you were still making a living selling copies today how would you react if you found a web site scanning the book and giving it away from free?

Don't mean to go off on a tangent, but I was addressing Dennis's misrepresentation of FTE's position on this (FTE doesn't have a position on it) as if we really care who you get it from (I don't). The staff has better things to do with our time.

Quick Reply: Wiring Diagram needed