Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Senior User

nhswrld is starting off with a positive reputation.
2.3 turbo fuel pump issues...

ok so i have swapped a 2.3 turbo from an 88 turbo coupe to my 86 ranger...keeping it all stock for now for simplicity...i bought a fuel pump that was supposed to be rated at 85psi max...turns out its rated at 125 psi max...so stupid me i bought a regulator for it and it just irritated me so much not working right and what not, so what i am wondering is what exactly is the psi that the stock pump pushes?...and where can i find an aftermarket inline fuel pump of that psi rating?..

i dont want to put one in the tank because of the different plugs and floats used i think it would be a hassle compared to just puttin in an inline pump with the stock fuel rail mounted regulator...
Old 08-02-2006, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

TigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputation
I'm not sure of the exact rating of the stock pump, but if you're running a carb instead of EFI (I assume so because of the reference to floats in your post) you only want about 5-7 PSI max. 85 and 125 psi are way high for a carbed engine, and even a bit high for a stock street-driven EFI engine. The important figure here is the GPM rating, of which I would guess you'd be good with about 70 GPM. This is easily doable with an aftermarket inline pump, but the good ones aren't cheap. Take a look at someplace like Summit for a good variety of pumps and their specifications.

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Senior User

to clarify what i meant by "floats" was the fuel guage in the tank...it is EFI
Old 08-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

TigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputation
Ah ha...now it's slightly less clear than mud! Anyways, EFI is still in the range of 35-45 PSI stock so your 85 and 125 PSI figures are still higher than needed. I take it then that your Ranger was originally carbed, so there is no stock in-tank pump?

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Senior User

you got it....i drilled and hole and added in a return line to the top of the tank but i wasnt sure if the stock pump pushed 45psi ...or something smaller or bigger....so i figured there was a good deal on an 85psi inline pump and thought the regulator would be able to tone it down, but i was wrong...so before i spend some big bucks on another pump...i found a 55psi pump for about 150 bucks...a 45 psi pump i found was like 200+ ...seems the closer ya go in that 35-45 psi range the more money they want...

would the 55psi pump work?...or still be too much?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

I would think the 55 PSI would work and that your regulator could handle it better. But I'd hate to see you drop 150 bucks on it and we find out I was wrong...

Another thought occurs to me: there were some inline pumps on earlier FI Fords, they used a two-pump system with the inline pump being high pressure and the in-tank pump being a low pressure booster pump. If you scrounged one of those inline pumps from a boneyard, like off an F-series truck with a V8 it might put out enough by itself to run that turbo motor for a whole lot less money. Might be worth doing a little online research to see just what those pumps did put out.

Last edited by TigerDan; 08-02-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Posting Guru

jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.
Smile

Did your truck have a 2.0 engine in the 86 as you said you had to add a return line. The stock Ranger pump will deliver enough fuel, but most change to the Walbro 225gph pump. Click the image to open in full size. jd
Old 08-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Senior User

yea i didnt want to put a mechanical pump on the new efi motor tho...i thought about it but decided against it...ill check into the walbro 225gph pump tho...that would work good with the efi turbo??
Old 08-03-2006, 03:02 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines

Tags
23, 45, 85, aftermarket, ford, fuel, inline, psi, pump, pumps, regulator, stock, turbo, turbocoupe, working