Dished Pistons effect on quench?

Old 08-01-2006, 12:46 PM
broncman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dished Pistons effect on quench?

DOVE heads on a 460. I have the DOVES from a 429 and they are ready to run but my 78 460 heads need rebuilding. I was thinking about running dished pistons to lower crompression but what effect will they have on quench if I use around .045 quench height? Will their be enough of the flat top on the piston left with dished pistons to still offer the needed quench?? Just to many decissions??
Thanks
Ken

Old 08-02-2006, 12:59 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dished pistons can infact affect quench in a negative way, best thing to do is look for an inverse dome, or a piston that the dish mirrors the combustion chamber rather than just bieng an open dish. You have hit on the second major reason I don't advocate putting DOVE heads on everything, gettting the compression down to a level compatable with todays gas for street drving requires the use of dished pistons, and the ones that will work best are hard to find and more expensive, so for that trouble you gain nothing for flow. Now with that said, I do believe that Diamond Racing makes an inverse dome piston that will work so you might give them a call. Just do a google search using "diamond racing pistons" call them up and talk to Eric he is a good guy to work with and even if they hve to build you a set they will be cheaper than things like JE, and much, much better quality than TRW or some of the other cheap made pistons.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:25 AM
broncman
Senior User
Thanks monsterbaby. I have 2 sets of D3VE heads as well but both need rebuilding. I believe I will just pony up and get a set of those done. This will be a dedicated tow rig, so I need a little lower compression.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:47 AM
carsbycarl
New User
Monster is on the money. I've never liked the full dish pistons that are all too common with most of today's aftermarket.

That being said, I do like a reverse dome style dish. Kieth Black is a big believer in quench and designs most of thier pistons with a large quench pad.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:57 AM
broncman
Senior User
Their you go! throwing out more stuff!!! I was actually looking at the Kieth Black pistons. They were a 15 and a 20(?) cc dish that was on only half the piston and the rest was flat! Would these still give me the quench I need? I will find a link and post it. KB138 is the part number for the 22cc d shape dish. http://kb-silvolite.com/performance....tails&P_id=188

Old 08-02-2006, 10:15 AM
carsbycarl
New User
[QUOTE=broncman]Their you go! throwing out more stuff!!! I was actually looking at the Kieth Black pistons. They were a 15 and a 20(?) cc dish that was on only half the piston and the rest was flat! Would these still give me the quench I need? I will find a link and post it. KB138 is the part number for the 22cc d shape dish. http://kb-silvolite.com/performance.php?action=details&P_id=188[/QUOTE]

That's what I was talking about. They'll give you all the quench you need if you run them near zero deck. Be sure to follow the KB instructions for piston/bore clearance as well as ring gaps if you use them. They're different than stock and you WILL have problems if you don't. That site has a great deal of info about quench and other topics. It's well worth reading though everything.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:09 PM
bronco521
Elder User
be careful with hypereutectic pistons,if you spark knock it the pistons will end up in your oil pan.if your going to run it hard or put a bottle on it spend the extra for good forged pistons.i won't use hypers cause i've seen a couple engines trashed because the pistons broke.if you do use kb's make sure you gap the rings to their specs.if you do some checking,there are alot of shops that won't use hypers even in a low perf application.they are an ashtray.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:09 PM
carsbycarl
New User
Originally Posted by bronco521
be careful with hypereutectic pistons,if you spark knock it the pistons will end up in your oil pan.if your going to run it hard or put a bottle on it spend the extra for good forged pistons.i won't use hypers cause i've seen a couple engines trashed because the pistons broke.if you do use kb's make sure you gap the rings to their specs.if you do some checking,there are alot of shops that won't use hypers even in a low perf application.they are an ashtray.
There's nothing wrong with hyper pistons, and they are not just ashtrays. If they were junk, Ford wouldn't be using them in their 460 crate engines. I use them without any problems, and so do plenty of others.

Shop's won't use them? I would speculate that the ones that won't are trying to sell more expensive pistons in thier place.

No, they won't take the abuse that a forged piece will, but if you fit them properly and you don't mis-treat them they are a great product....in my opinion.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:44 AM
bronco521
Elder User
well,just trying to help this guy stay away from potential problems.it's not a pretty site when pistons shatter.and i've seen two engines scrapped because the hyper pistons broke.we can only go on personal experience,and when that experience is bad with a certain thing you are going to stay away from it and you're going to tell your friends to stay away too.for what little more forged pistons cost,i think you're crazy to not put them in.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:05 AM
carsbycarl
New User
Originally Posted by bronco521
well,just trying to help this guy stay away from potential problems.it's not a pretty site when pistons shatter.and i've seen two engines scrapped because the hyper pistons broke.we can only go on personal experience,and when that experience is bad with a certain thing you are going to stay away from it and you're going to tell your friends to stay away too.for what little more forged pistons cost,i think you're crazy to not put them in.
Hey, no problem. We're just offering our opinions right? In this case he said "This will be a dedicated tow rig". For the application, I think hypers will be fine. I'll agree with you that in a dedicated race car that gets sprayed, I would go with forged too.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:57 PM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You must follow the KB information concerning top ring end gap! Fail to set this gap properly and the top will come off your pistons. Zero deck and 0.041 quench by using the FRPP gaskets will be fine with the KB206 and D3's. Use their calculator and get the static and dynamic compression set. By the way you can get a set of "budget ported D3's" for about what a set of noname rebuilds will cost. I can't post the web site here but if you PM me I'll give it to you.