2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Factory DVD Install Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:48 PM
chavelka
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Factory DVD Install Issues

I am trying to install a Factory 2005 Rear DVD Entertainment system in my 2005 F150 Super Crew (Without DVD Prep) and Audiophile System .

I got the two parts I thought I needed

DVD unit 5L3Z19G323BAB

Wire Harness (The harness that is needed extend to the roof as the pre package does) 5L3Z-14335-FA

The install went fine until I fired the DVD unit up. Can someone tell me if there is an issue with the DVD?

DVD starts , no AUX , no buttons work except eject.

DVD plays (no audio through Audiophile system) gets to the DVDs movie menu in about 15 seconds and shutdown. I have to eject the DVD and reinsert the DVD and it starts up again.

Press the Aux button (several times in rapid sessesion) the audiophile head unit says no DVD

When I disconnect the DVD player I get a check DVD message on the dash audiophile unit for about 4 seconds.

When the DVD player is connected the rear speakers work normally , when I disconnect the DVD unit the rears die (fronts and Sub woofer work)?

The parts are for a 2005 so I thought at first the issue was some incompatability but the installer and another dealer think it's a bad DVD.

Any opinions?

Old 08-01-2006, 07:44 PM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
I've went though the same process, and had the same trouble. Try a search on the topic and much will probably show up.

What's happening is Ford changed the Can-Buss (communication software) sometime in 2005. You have to make sure that the head unit that you have matches the DVD unit that you purchased.

I have all the info on the specifics; but it may take me awhile to dig it out. A search of the forums may get it to you quicker. There's a forum member, "Rambunctious", that provided a great deal of information on this topic ... he works for the company that manufactures the system.

Anyway, my truck had a production date of 7/2005. The DVD (Ford Entertainment System) that I got from the dealer had a production date of like 11/2004. The two would not communicate, and the functionality was as you described. I returned the DVD unit to the Dealer and re-ordered with a specific request for a later model DVD. The new one had a build date of 6/2005 and if worked with no problems at all.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:04 PM
chavelka
New User
I just taked to an engineer (Refered to me by Autovision a division of Johnson Controls) at Sybesmas Electronics in Holland, MI at 1-800-456-4265. They told me that the CD player , even though it was new it does not match the 2005 Audiophile head unit.

Ther remedy is to send it to them and they will re-flash the DVD player so that it will work.

My guess is that the DVD player was old stock and even though the part number and nomenclature in the box said it was for a 2004 and up F150. Ford never updated these units for 2005-2006 models when they changed the communications protocol.

I will post the results after I get the unit back and test it out.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:01 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
chav...
sounds like you will be in business with the reflash from sybesma's
my other option ( per my email) was royal radio to do something similar.
bottom line. when you hit the aux button, the radio needs ro recognize the dvd. it shoudl show a little headphone icon near the aux button when the proper dvd is installed.

keep up posted.

Ramb

Old 08-09-2006, 01:53 PM
chavelka
New User
I had the unit flashed and it works great! It costs about $50.00 plus freight so if you get a deal on an earlier model DVD player make sure you account for the extra service.

The unit is great and I got it to play my "backup DVDs" using a Dual Layer Burner.

Thank rambunctious for the help, I couldn't help but want such a well designed unit. Thanks to everyone at JC they were all helpful.

Ford should be be happy to have such a good partner/supplier!

Old 08-09-2006, 02:01 PM
rambunctious
Senior User
Great to hear !!
if you get the wireless headphones, you can have the "kids" in the back listen to movies, and you can listen to the radio or cd's through the speakers, or if so inclined, you can listen to the movie, and they can listen to the radio or CD's through the headphones, etc.......

the dvd player will also play mp3 recorded cd's

Ramb

Old 08-10-2006, 12:40 AM
scottps
New User
Just cereus, you got the wiring harness # 5L3Z-14335-FA and did you do the install yourself??? If so can you give a little detail of the install??

Old 08-10-2006, 03:22 PM
chavelka
New User
I had an installer do it. The Harness follows the rear left rear pillar (The pillar in the back by the bed) They charged my 2.5 hours , I probably could have gotten them down to 2 if they had not helped in trying to get the DVD player to work before it was flashed.

The 5L3Z-14335-FA harness worked great in my 2005. I would have done it myself but I always break the little clips and retainers when I get impatiant :-)

Routing of the harnes is pretty straight forward. There are templetes that come with the DVD player (If you buy it as a kit) to cut the holes in the headliner.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:28 AM
CATranger
New User
fellas, I am having similar trouble. My head unit was manufactured Sep27,2004. (5F2T-18C869-BA) The DVD I got on ebay was made Jun14,2005. It has the following long number on it: 6L7T10E947AB35B8. After buying harness, mount, etc, and hooking it all up (I even check continuity of EVERY wire from the DVD plug to the Radio plug, and all are good) The unit will power on, buttons light up, and then...Nothing. The only button that works is eject. Head unit says "no aux audio" Is this a simple reflash? One of the previous posters said his unit would at least play for 15 seconds. Mine won't do squat. Can a dealer do a reflash?

Old 09-10-2006, 11:34 AM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
Originally Posted by CATranger
fellas, I am having similar trouble. My head unit was manufactured Sep27,2004. (5F2T-18C869-BA) The DVD I got on ebay was made Jun14,2005. It has the following long number on it: 6L7T10E947AB35B8. After buying harness, mount, etc, and hooking it all up (I even check continuity of EVERY wire from the DVD plug to the Radio plug, and all are good) The unit will power on, buttons light up, and then...Nothing. The only button that works is eject. Head unit says "no aux audio" Is this a simple reflash? One of the previous posters said his unit would at least play for 15 seconds. Mine won't do squat. Can a dealer do a reflash?
Yes ... all you need is a reflash of your 2004 head unit (assuming it is a compatible head unit to begin with). Get with Rambunctious on where to send it for the work; I'm pretty sure the dealer can not do it, you'll have to mail it off for a few days to the location that Ram tells you.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:37 PM
chavelka
New User
DVD Flash

I contacted Sybesmas Electronics in Holland, MI at 1-800-456-4265. They can look up your unit and see if it needs flashing. I sent it to them , it will cost you shipping and the flash fee.

They are very helpful. I was refered to them by Johnson Controls.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:15 AM
CATranger
New User
What a disaster. I called sybesmas, they said they don't do that anymore. They gave me "DB Electronics" in one of the Chicago suburbs. They told me that my DVD player is a "6L7T" which is ONLY for the Navigator. Since the DVD was built in Jun14,2005, I guess I need to get a pinout for the DVD for a 05-06 Navigator and see what the differences are in the pins (any one have this?) Also, he (the helpful guy at DB 630-909-0205) said that my DVD will only work with the LINCOLN head unit, which, like my DVD, is made by Delphi. I checked a 2003 wiring diagram and it's different, but I need a newer schematic. If it's different I'm going to swap the pins around and see if it will work then. If not, I'd either have to gamble on a lincoln radio, or, sell my "navigator-only" DVD and buy a different one. It'll have to be factory at this point, now that I bought the bracket, harness, etc, and have like 20 hours in it.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:48 PM
CATranger
New User
Well, if anyone is still looking at this, here's the latest. I double checked the '05 Navigator Service Manual, and EVERY pin at the DVD and at the Radio are identical across the Navigator, Freestar, Monterey etc. So I don't have a wiring issue. It must be a software issue. I'll try sybesmas again. I don't know the fine points of difference in hardware/software between the 6L7T-10E947 in the navigator vs. the 6F2T-10E947 in the Freestar/Monterey.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:49 PM
asand211
New User
Crap

After reading the initial posts I was feeling good and only needed a reflash but after reading the last couple I'm worried.

I have a 2005 F150 with 6 disc head unit. I bought the wiring harness for an f150 part # 4L3Z14335FA or at least that is what I was told it was for. The plugs all match perfectly. The buttons on the player light up but nothing appears on the screen. I see headphones on the head unit display and I can hear DVD over sound system but no picture. Is my unit faulty or am I experiencing a communication issue?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:53 PM
jgwade99
New User
similar issues with 2007 Limited Edition Expedition

Just purchased a used 2007 Expedition. It's equipped with an overhead DVD system. My problem is that it works fine with headphones, but I cannot figure out how to listen to the DVD over the speakers. Any ideas on why this is?

Thanks in advance,

Greg Wade

Quick Reply: 2005 Factory DVD Install Issues