6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 vs. 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:45 PM
bajadiesel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 6.4 vs. 6.0

Whats the call?

Wait for the 6.4 in 2008 or buy a 6.0 now. No hurry on purchase, but which on is the best truck. Least maintance, best MPG. Going to buy a crew cab short bed at 2wd xlt.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:48 PM
elemint
Elder User
Well, given that the 6.0 is already an proven lemon, i suppose your best bet is to get the 6.4 and hope for the best.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:01 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one knows anything about the 6.4 yet. So I'd wait and see how the 6.4 turns out and make your decision then, you could always get a used 6.0 if the 6.4 turns out bad.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:04 PM
duffman77
Elder User
Here's a thought wait until the 6.4s show up on the lots, wait a couple weeks longer so people can generate some feedback. if you decide its not for you, you can probably get some killer incentives on the 6.0s the dealers want to offload because of all the marketing hype associated with the new model.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:05 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
The EARLY 6.0's had their fair share of problems. The newer ones like the ones in the 05's and 06's seem to have had minimal problems and are doing just fine. On the other hand, the 6.4 from what we know has gone through countless testing to make damn sure that Ford doesn't have any problems with these new engines. It's your call.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:35 PM
wildcat421
Senior User
I know a lot of people are buying the 06's because of all the restrictions the epa has on this new motor. I wanted an 06. I can't imagine these 6.4's getting better milage with all this EPA BS on them. I'm happy with my decision. And if the 6.4 is that much better I can upgrade then.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:07 PM
jusaford
New User
From what information I have gathered here and other places, the extra .4l is for emmisions... this is what I have been told on other truck forums as well. All diesel engine size increases are pretty much for emmision control reasons. So no reason to get excited about a bigger engine I suppose.

Understand that the 6.0 had lots of problems...I dont hear lots of complaints anymore about the current ones. Perhaps they have fixed the problems or gotten them more manageable...who knows...the last person I would believe is the sales man trying to sell you a $45,000 truck. For sure get the extended warrenttee if your going to keep the truck longer than the time/mileage they give you with the truck... On the other hand, one local Ford truck dealer told me he would never buy the 6.4l until it was a year old and the bugs were worked out of it... he still drives a 7.3L. Oh for the old days!

no doubt Ford does not want another sick-o....but they eventually have to put something on the lots and sell them. Personally, I want a new truck. I guess it will be a year from now before I spend my money...as for geting a new 6.0 when the new 08's come out...well I have been told there will not be as many available as one will think....is that because everyone is going to ****** them up in fear of the newer engine...or is it because there simply will not be a lot put on the lot for us to chose from. I have no idea....I dont think there will be great deals either way though. Just my thoughts.

what I would like to know is what is the perks of getting a new truck at all, (if you dont need to that is)....more up front cost, more operating costs, higher maintainance, higher fuel costs. Someone please tell me why I want one of these!!!! I suppose I should see what gas engines are available and how they stack up over the life of the truck. As for other manufacturers, I dont want a part aluminum engine and I would like the rest of the truck to hold up as well as the engine....so Ford still seems to be the least of all evils. Good Luck on your decision.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:04 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jusaford
From what information I have gathered here and other places, the extra .4l is for emmisions... this is what I have been told on other truck forums as well. All diesel engine size increases are pretty much for emmision control reasons. So no reason to get excited about a bigger engine I suppose.
Kinda, the extra 0.4 allows them to replace (and likely add a little more) power that is lost due to the new emissions equipment.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:51 PM
Biwanylo
Senior User
Well that is what CAT. had to do. A C12 CAT can be set at 430 hp and now with all the smog and twin turbos you need to get a C13 to make the same power and they still lack off idle pull.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:06 PM
juniorf350
Senior User
Originally Posted by Biwanylo
Well that is what CAT. had to do. A C12 CAT can be set at 430 hp and now with all the smog and twin turbos you need to get a C13 to make the same power and they still lack off idle pull.
totaly off topic but here i go
ok tell me of another brand that can give you the torque that a cat can?
theres alot more then turbos change with that motor.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Ry_Trapp0
Junior User
mack. i heard that volvos new engines might be able to too.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:36 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Heres food for thought--- below the heads on a 6.4 is, you guessed it. a 6.0.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:16 PM
jusaford
New User
well...i am thinking the same thing...

the law required new emission standards...so along comes a more complicated exhaust system and bigger engine to support the exhaust....and while they were at it....they changed what may have been the biggest problem they had with the engine...the injection system and related components.

the trade off....you have to remove the cab to service the engine....and have a pocket full of money for the honor.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:49 PM
jusaford
New User
off the subject perhaps

what really has me curious is ..... what are the european's driving? they have been burning LSDF for a long time, the enviromental requirments are tighter than ours and has been for a while. Because of the differences in the enviromental requirements the european engines/trucks were not competitive here in the states. That may have changed!

now that the playing field has been leveled by the enviromental requirements, might we start seeing their trucks here in the states. has any of the major manufacturers of our home grown trucks been talking to "them" on the other side of the pond. i heard rumors that dodge is going to the mercedes in 2010.... freightline already has. something to think about...anyone have any info on this??

Old 08-01-2006, 09:25 PM
ExcursionPSD
Senior User
The 2007 (engine production year) diesel emission requirements from the EPA are stricter than what they have in Europe. That is the reason that the Europeans are taking a break from selling diesels in 2007, while the market sorts out and they have more time to work on the technology before selling it.

European diesel is not only lower in sulphur than what we have been using here, but it is also a higher quality fuel in several respects. The fact that diesel and gasoline are almost twice as expensive as in the United States, is a major point that puts more pressure on them to sell diesels there with the 30% fuel efficiency factor taken into account.

Quick Reply: 6.4 vs. 6.0