Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2006, 04:26 PM
Postmaster

mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
danny jones
New diesel owner w/ alt fuel question

Hi ya'll. I'm a US Marine helo mechanic, and we pull fuel samples (a quart) on up to 30 aircraft a day to check for water contamination. We run JP-5 and I was wondering if I can safely run it in my 99 7.3L Powerstroke. We usually dump the samples in our support gear that have diesels. ALSO, we pull hydraulic fluid samples, and use a petro based dry cleaing fluid called "PD-680" to thin it out so it'll go through a 5 micron filter. Can that be burned safely too? I know it'll be clean of anything up to 5 mic, so it should be ok. I'm looking for any advice to save money on my 100 mile a day commute! Semper FI.
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
E99 F-350 Dually Van turbo 4x4 CC LB 7.3L, AFE intake, 3 gauge pillar, 4" Magnaflow SS str8-pipe, DP Tuner, Swamps 175/146 SS inj, ARP head and bottom studs, Comp 910 springs, ITP Ovrbst, CCV mod, SS HPX, home made Reg-return, Foil Del, ZooDad, Air Horns 320hp/704tq
Old 07-31-2006, 05:48 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
From my USAF days I remember jet fuel (JP-4 back then) as being hi quality kerosene.

If JP-5 is essentially the same it should work.
Kerosene is essentially a 12 to 15 carbon long chain whereas Diesel is a 10 to 15 carbon lenght chain so kerosene is esentially a component of diesel.

I am not so sure about the hydraulic fluid and the dry cleaning fluid additive could cause problems with seals, gaskets, and fuel lines.

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 07-31-2006 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:52 PM
Postmaster

mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
danny jones
Then is it possible to run straight kerosene in a diesel? I don't know the dangers to my system or what bad might happen, but I do know that kerosene is 40 cents cheaper LOL.
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
E99 F-350 Dually Van turbo 4x4 CC LB 7.3L, AFE intake, 3 gauge pillar, 4" Magnaflow SS str8-pipe, DP Tuner, Swamps 175/146 SS inj, ARP head and bottom studs, Comp 910 springs, ITP Ovrbst, CCV mod, SS HPX, home made Reg-return, Foil Del, ZooDad, Air Horns 320hp/704tq
Old 07-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You should have no problem running kerosene, not sure of the lubricating qualities so you might want to use an additive or mix some Bio with it to boost lubricity.
Just don't get caught not paying road taxes, which interestingly enough run about $.40 per gal depending on what state you are in.

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 07-31-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:52 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo75
Then is it possible to run straight kerosene in a diesel? I don't know the dangers to my system or what bad might happen, but I do know that kerosene is 40 cents cheaper LOL.

Yes you can use Kerosene, but it MUST be mixed with D-1 or D-2. Kerosene has LESS lubericity than pure diesel, and will cause excessive IP wear. Up to about 75 percent Kerosene to 25 percent D-2 should be ok.

Used Hyd oil is a no no! If you did a chemical analysis on it you would find LOTS of heavy metals including Chromium, and acids. Not something you want to put in your IP or injectors!

FABMANDELUX.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE

Last edited by fabmandelux; 07-31-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Postmaster

danny jones
See now ya'll got me tempted to run 50/50 kero deisel mix, just to be cheap hehe. I gotta drive from NY to CA in about a week, so I can't afford to break anything, especially on my pay. I didn't join the USMC for the pay
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
Old 07-31-2006, 09:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
73, 99, fuel, heads, sample