Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2006, 01:44 PM
New User

FordCrusier is starting off with a positive reputation.
Arrow Manual Transmission: Checking Oil Level

I have a 2006 with a 5-speed manual transmission. Trying to check the fluid level is somewhat difficult because the filler hole port is so small it is hard to even get your little finger in to feel the oil level.

I know the level is supposed to be even with the filler hole so I guess I should add 75W-90 gear lube until it runs out.

It is also difficult to get to the plug without the vehicle being on a lift (that is, I'm using the shade tree mechanic style of crawling under the vehicle) because the SUV sits so close to the ground.

The transmission plug IS on the right side of the vehicle, isn't it? I doubt I could have removed the wrong plug because it is the only fill plug I could find.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Elder User

MazdaRangerGuy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Try adding fluid to the hole until it dribbles out, that will prove it's full.

Also check to make sure it takes gear lube, alot of newer fords use MERCON/DEXRON for the manual transmission fluid.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:07 AM
New User

The owner's manual calls for 75W-90 gear lube and yes I was surprised it did not state Mercon/Dexron.

I am also surprised fluid needs to be added after just 7,000 miles on a new vehicle and there are no visible leaks. I should have checked the fluid when the vehicle was brand new, which I usually do for a baseline reference point.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Senior User

EBTDM is starting off with a positive reputation.
If your finger is too big for the hole then fabricate a dip stick of sorts. A strip of white paper works fine for me most of the time. That way you can also see the true color of the fluid your checking. Believe me that is nice to know.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:24 AM
New User

Good idea EBTDM.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Posting Guru

99F150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do not put GL5 lube in. The spec calls for a GL4 lube. I have a 2005 with 26000 miles and am planning on changing the lube next week. I have not had mine in the air yet so I have not located the plug for fill or drain. Do you know if there is a drain plug?
I plan on using Amsoil MTG fluid, as the Ford fluid is not synthetic costing $11.00 a quart. The amsoil is under $10 and is full synthetic. None of the local auto parts stores hear stock the GL4 fluid either.
Dan
Old 10-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Posting Guru

99F150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Up date.

I raised mine up today and got it level. There is a drain plug visible by the left front tire. You need to remove the black plastic shroud that covers the bottom of the transaxle by removing the 10mm bolts. Very easy, once you have the shroud removed you can see the fill plug. Both the fill plug and the drain plug need a 10mm Allen wrench to remove them. The book says capacity is 2.4 quarts, that looks about what I drained and is about what it took before fluid ran out the fill hole.

Overall very easy job took less than a half hour.
Dan
Old 10-02-2006, 06:45 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid

Tags
1999, 2003, 450, check, escape, f150, fluid, ford, hybrid, level, manual, mazda, oil, transaxle, transmission, tribute