Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Dam Modifications (Lightning)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 05:32 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Arrow Air Dam Modifications (Lightning)

I did a search for this, but didn't see anything too much about it. I did see that someone else was thinking about doing this. I am thinking about installing a factory Lightning air dam on my F150. Has anyone done this? I would really like to see pictures if anyone has them. If some one has done this I would like to know what fog lights they used. The factory ones are too expensive. I did see that from NAPD I can get a L air dam for about 60 bucks. I really think this would be a sweet mod.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:49 PM
max harris
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have the air dam on both my trucks. Total cost of about $110.00 a piece including lights from PepBoys.

Max

Old 07-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Just got my new LMC catalog today and they're 50 bucks.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:00 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Thats cool, I'll try to get one from LMC then.

That is a great looking mod. I also have the eddie bauer bumper, so that even gives me a better idea of what it will look like. If you look in my gallery you will see what my truck looks like. Do you think it would look just as good on mine? I just wanted to see it on a F150 before I decided to do it. What brand etc fog lights did you get from pep boys? What did you use to mount the lights? Would it be possible to see a picture of the back side of the air dam at the lights? I'm hoping the air dam comes black like that. Did you have to paint it? Thanks

Last edited by TexasGuy001; 07-28-2006 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:17 AM
max harris
Freshman User
I got the air dams from Parts Train, they come with a satin black paint on them. I had to strip the one on the red truck due to some of the paint coming off. I just left that one as is. The one on the white truck is still painted satin black. The lights are the Ralley driving lights from Pep Boys I forget the part numbers. There is a post in the Lightning section that has the part number in it. As far as bracket I just took some bar stock steel cut and hammered it into shape on the trailer hitch. I'll try and get some pictures of the underside tonight. The $110.00 per vechicle was total cost for everything including shipping, bolts, drill bits and beer for the project.

Max

Old 07-29-2006, 06:54 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
I am definitely going to do this mod to mine, but I might not be able to right away.

I have never heard of Parts Train, but maybe I'll check them out as well as LMC and NAPD. Were you able to get any pictures of the mounting brackets you made? If not, I'm sure I can come up with something suitable.

Last edited by TexasGuy001; 07-29-2006 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:04 AM
max harris
Freshman User
Didn't get a chance yesterday. I'll try today after I get some work done on the boat.

Max

Old 07-29-2006, 10:15 PM
max harris
Freshman User
Here's shot of the bracket that I made, it may not look the best but it works.

Max

Old 07-30-2006, 06:25 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

I bought a dam a while back and can't remember where I got it but it was alot more than they are now (I think I paid $125.00 for just the spoiler) and then had it painted to match my truck!
Anyway....back then I was told to get fog lights from a Nissan Pathfinder of 'early 90s vintage and that they were exactly the same lights-I got the lights and then part of the factory Ford brackets and still have to get the others--I also bought the factory Lightning switch for the dash so I am getting close to installing my spoiler--is there any trick to holding/keeping it up to the bottom of the bumper to mark and drill the holes??

Old 07-30-2006, 06:28 AM
fmr9
Elder User
That air dam and lights really looks nice. Wonder if I could do that on my '90? How much ground clearance do you loose? I don't want to make it a snow plow.
Thanks Frank

Old 07-30-2006, 07:49 PM
max harris
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Supercab
is there any trick to holding/keeping it up to the bottom of the bumper to mark and drill the holes??
All I did was drill out the 2 rivets closest to the wheel well. These are put on fron the underside of the bumper. I removed the rest of the original air dam with a hammer and old beat up wood chisel cutting through the plastic. Once the original is off use the 2 open hole where the rivets where to bolt up the corners of the new air dam. Have somebody hold the center section in place. I marked the other 6 holes with a little black primer and drilled the holes. After the holes are drilled if you got a lillte over spray it can be removed with acetone or your favorite paint remover. If you going to leave the liceanse plate frame on just trim some of the plastic on the underside that forms the channel on the U shape.

Max

Old 07-30-2006, 07:57 PM
max harris
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fmr9
That air dam and lights really looks nice. Wonder if I could do that on my '90? How much ground clearance do you loose? I don't want to make it a snow plow.
Thanks Frank
Frank

I don't know if it would work on a pre '92 truck, I believe that the '87-'91 front bumper is straighter. The Lightning air dam sits about an 1.5 inches lower than the standard air dam. Haven't plowed any snow with it yet, and if we get that much here in Pensacola I'm going back to Australia.

Max

Old 07-30-2006, 09:21 PM
fmr9
Elder User
Wonder if one could be modified to fit the 90 bumper. If I get time I'll take a look at the local upull and see how much difference there is.
Was at the upull this morning and found a like new replacement drivers door hinge. $3
Ran home and cancelled the Ebay bid I had set to go in a few hours. Was going to bid $40 for same thing as new old stock. This one is very close to new.
In any case the pictures of the dam and lights,look really nice. Been thinking about this most of the day.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:35 PM
max harris
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fmr9
Wonder if one could be modified to fit the 90 bumper. If I get time I'll take a look at the local upull and see how much difference there is.
Was at the upull this morning and found a like new replacement drivers door hinge. $3
Ran home and cancelled the Ebay bid I had set to go in a few hours. Was going to bid $40 for same thing as new old stock. This one is very close to new.
In any case the pictures of the dam and lights,look really nice. Been thinking about this most of the day.
Frank

You may be able do some reshaping with a heat gun, I've never tried a heat gun on ABS before. Years ago before I joined the Navy the U-pull it's were my primary parts source. I rebuilt my old Buick Skyhawk after a truck hit it from junk yard parts.

Both trucks turned out looking better than I thought they would. Originally Jennifer wanted the bumper and air dam painted white on hers, but I was able to talk her out of it. My main reason being after one love bug season down here it would look bad. Plus I wasn't truely looking to make the trucks look like lightning clones since Ford never made these in Supercabs. Really just liked the style of the air dam compared to some of the aftermarket alternatives, plus I didn't want a fiberglass air dam on mine for the woods.

Max

Old 08-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
I thought i would add a pic

LMC, Air Dam

Pep Boys, Lights

Quick Reply: Air Dam Modifications (Lightning)