Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

ford escape >> back door & glass wont open

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 08:10 PM
dng
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool ford escape >> back door & glass wont open

2001 ford escape. cannot open back door and glass. there is no kep option, only auto and they are not working. checked fuses, all other doors working fine,

does anyone have any suggestions?? i was hoping to move this weekend and
need to get in the back door. does anyone know if there is a safety latch? or possible child lock? any suggestions would be great and very welcomed.

thanks again,
dale

Old 07-27-2006, 06:09 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

See you on the boards. ….

Old 07-27-2006, 06:59 PM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
no saftey latch to my knowledge. heres a couple of guesses. one is that the actuator is not unlocking the liftgate. when this happend the glass and liftgate wont release. guess two is the plastic clips couls have broken on the latch itself. dont try to remove the panel without getting either glass or the door opened or you can damage the trim panel. try pressing the unlock button and see if you hear a noise coming from the door panel. you should hear something.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:02 AM
bananaboat
Senior User
Sounds like the actuator. Has this Escape had any service performed on the back hatch in the past? If so, you might have a rod problem. The rod issue is related to the hatch opening during a rear impact, don't know if it could have the opposite issue.

Recall 04V602000: Liftgate Latch Release Rod Replacement

Certain 2004-2005 sport utility vehicles and certain 2001-2003 sport utiity vehicles having rear liftgate components serviced with 2004 equivalent components fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 206, "Door Locks and Door Retention Components." The rear liftgate latching system does not meet the inertia load requirement in one direction.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:26 AM
dng
New User
there is no sound when i click the unlock button. usually i can hear this when i click the button on the keyless entry twice. there is no keyhole so i guess i may have to take it into the shop? i've nver had any issues with this nor has there been any rear hits.

d

Old 03-02-2008, 10:29 AM
86fxstc
New User
Did you ever figure out why your back door and galss wouldn't unlock? I have a '01 Escape and have experienced the same problem. It works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I want it to work all the time.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:41 AM
dehamma
Junior User
I have an '02 and I am having the same problem. It is very inconvenient. I noticed that there is an access "window" that accesses inside to the actual latch. I played around with it and was not successful. Does anyone have some knowledge of tripping this latch? At least if the liftgate can be opened, I can have better access to issue.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:06 AM
goingnorth
Junior User
I have an 08 xls and have the same problem, sometime it works, always works fine at the dealer.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:13 AM
2fords2
Senior User
I had this happen twice on my '01. Ended up taking it in to the dealer and had the module assembly (whatever that is) replaced first, and just three weeks later had the handle/lock mechanism replaced. Not having a key hole on the outside or a way to open the rear hatch from inside the vehicle is one of Ford's dumb and dumber ideas.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:05 PM
dehamma
Junior User
I had the same problem with my '02 Escape. Get in the back and pull the interior panel off from the top. It is held on by insert clips. After that, your problem (or mine was) the actuator that lacks the glass and door. Just move the actuator rod up to allow thw latch to work. My actuator is bad so I left it up to use the hatch and glass, but I can't lock it until I replace the actuator.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:44 PM
aliounis108
New User
Hey guys i listened to what you have to say and it worked only issue is before is my alarm used to work when i locked all the doors but now it will not work when someone goes and opens the back door.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:54 AM
tcesni
Elder User
Ironically, my 2002 Escape does have a key hole for the back hatch.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:07 PM
norrisjanie
New User
Escape Hatch won't work

My 2001 Escape hatch just stopped working today. I am not sure how to pull off the panel to look inside. Is there a tool to use? Thanks!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:44 PM
aj7885
Junior User
Old 08-17-2009, 06:52 PM
kaka123
New User
2001 Ford Escape back door hatch & rear window

OK, who was the brain behind no key entry for rear latch on hatchback or rear window??? Now from what I read in these posts it is not an uncommon problem, yet when I call Ford there is no recall. What gives???? Is it Ford's way to make more money? If something is wrong with so many cars they should step up & fix their error. I called Ford & explained the exact problem & I know their not stupid, yet all I got was the run around......you have to bring it in, we can't diaginosis it over the phone, etc., etc. When asked about how much this would run they were once agin giving me the run around by saying it depends how long it takes them to service it as the charge by the 1/2 hour, not to mention the actual cost of the part needed....it may be minor, it may be major....yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm so sick of the run around it isn't even funny!!!!!! Did Ford ever take into consideration that we have other expenses to worry about, and now with the economy the way it is....well when it's a choice between feeding my child or fixing my hatchback lock my child wins, but now here's the problem.....Not only am I a single mom struggling in this economy, I am also disabled & guess what I have in my hatch.....you guessed it, my wheelchair scooter. Ford never though of this did they, in a way they took my freedom & my legs from me by not having a back-up method as to accessing items stored in back. I have no way to get my wheelchair scooter out either because it is too heavy to fit through the back seat out the back doors. I can't afford to bring my Escape in for service because they can't even give me a quote, so basicially I was screwed by Ford.....a company I have been loyal to for many years. I am seriously considering finding a lawyer to resolve this, but his could take years & I need my wheelchair now! I think Ford really messed up with the no key entry.....at least have a keypad or other access. And here is something else I thought of.....even if you jump in the back (yes, I had my child do this), you still have no way of opening it from the inside. If a child or another person were abducted and thrown in the back, there would no way for them to escape from the ESCAPE.....how ironic is that???? Come on Ford your supposed to be one of the best...............

Quick Reply: ford escape >> back door & glass wont open