Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wow...REAL Air Conditioning!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 12:16 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the mod from DS last year, and was quite impressed with the results. I thought about a manual valve, but here in Missouri, it can be cool in the mornings and hot in the afternoon. I didn't want to have to pop my hood to turn a valve - call me lazy.

After install, I realized just how well it works. I had a vent pointing towards the window on one particular hot and humid day. I began to notice condensation on the outside of my window from the cold air blowing on it. Keeping the truck cool now is not a problem, even on 100 degree days.

I hooked mine up to work only on Max AC. If you hook it up to work on other settings too, you won't get any heat when the defroster is turned on - and that's one instance where you might want to pull moisture from the air while providing heat.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Craig64
Senior User
Thanks Neal.

Just did this mod last night in under an hour ---sweeeet. I'm also one of the guys in Houston and this time of year I'd love to be running with just the vent, but always end up running a/c cause the vent's too hot. This is really gonna help in July too.

Gonna test it today, but it's raninin' like a banchee here... we've probably had 4" of rain in 4 hours.

Craig

Old 03-31-2007, 09:54 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wassup Craig!

Raining like crazy here in Willis (just up I-45 from you) too. Thinking I will order the stuff to do this mod today while here at work.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:07 AM
pastormiketkd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Craig64, thanks for the PM. I tried to PM you back but you have your settings so that you don't accept PMs. All of us guys in the heat of Houston ought to get together for lunch or something somtime just so we know each other and can help each other out.

PS - sorry to hijack this a little bit but it is an easy and very helpful mod.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:26 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
I'm in for a lunch get together some time. Let's plan it and do it!

I too am sorry for the hijack but it's cool to see some folks from my area.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Craig64
Senior User
Mike, Scott,

I'm up for lunch too. I'll change my settings for PMs, just gotta figure out how to do it.

We could call it a monthly "PMS support group" -- my wife would get a kick outa that.

Craig

Old 04-24-2007, 05:42 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by John311t
Is this the reason why when im parked and i have the it on max ac the air goes cold then warm then cold then warm etc.

The next time your in need of AC service. Have them install a VOV. You'll be pleasantly suprised at the improvement.

http://aircondition.com/vov/

Old 04-24-2007, 06:54 AM
pastormiketkd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Craig64
Mike, Scott,

We could call it a monthly "PMS support group" -- my wife would get a kick outa that.
You know why they call it "PMS"? Cuz Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

OOPS, that's not the PMS you were talking about. Got my hands full right now, let's touch base in a week or two and get together.

Mike

Old 04-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
We need to set up a Houston area get together soon.

The Woodlands maybe?

Old 04-24-2007, 12:09 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
If you all get together, you need to left us know what the better halfs have to say.

My wife and a few buddies kept laughing about it. Doing the whole "how cute, your meeting your internet friends."

Old 04-24-2007, 01:24 PM
elvis81
Cross-Country
okay

...Quite a few options that all do about the same thing. My ? is which will make it so you get cooler temps when using vent only, and the a/c 's also, and will work on defrost also...guess what I am saying, if the wife drives truck and the need for defrost comes or heat she will have everything work ok. It would just have colder temps on vent, A/c Max A/c. No changes on seasons one stop shopping.... I am thinking this would be the diesel site kit??? I am in TX also and the vent thing just don't cut it, but I like using it in mornings...good for me. Lemme know which to get, thanks.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:31 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fonefiddy
The next time your in need of AC service. Have them install a VOV. You'll be pleasantly suprised at the improvement.

http://aircondition.com/vov/
Is this something i already has and needs replacing, or a add on part? If an add on part, do most places have it? I was planning on taking it and having the A/C discharged compleltly since i need to take the condensor out because i want to take a powerwasher and wash out anything that could be stuck in the radiator intercooler and condensor. Then i was going to put all new o-rings and replace all the parts needed to redo it myself then take it in for the recharge. I was thinking about having fords do the recharge.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:45 PM
fbilly420
Senior User
yes our a/c system do already have an orifice tube in them that is the restriction that causes a high side and a low side this is just a "smart" one. If you take somewhere ask them to recover the refrigerant and after you are done washing and making repairs (o-rings and such) take it back to the same place have them put new oil in ask for die injection so in the future if you have a leak it will be easy to spot and recharge the system.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:50 PM
fbilly420
Senior User
forgot-
you can replace the orifice tube yourself just need some line wrenches
it is in the line from the cond. to the evap. look for a kink in the hose and a couple of fittings so you can pull it apart.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:47 PM
John311t
Postmaster
I got line wrenchs, got anywhere i can buy that from?

Quick Reply: Wow...REAL Air Conditioning!!