Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wow...REAL Air Conditioning!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Yeah, It looks like a real PIA!! but from what everyone says it makes a big difference!! I guess I'll try it again soon!!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:24 AM
mshostek
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drilled a hole the same size as the vacuum tube through the existing grommet. Worked really well. I can try to get a picture if you would like?

Old 05-05-2008, 09:58 AM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Personally, I like the plain ol'water cut-off. If you're running with the a/c off and you turn it on you already have hot coolant in the heater core if you're running the dieselsite mod(not trying to dog any ones mods). But with hot coolant already in the core it has to cool down before the improvement is felt. Its true if you want heat with the water cut-off you have to get out and cut it on, but for me, its an a/c mod so I dont cut my water off till its hot outside. And about once a month ill open it to circulate the coolant from the core. Just my .02 cents worth
Schlepprock

Old 05-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mshostek
I drilled a hole the same size as the vacuum tube through the existing grommet. Worked really well. I can try to get a picture if you would like?
This is the pic I posted several pages back -- there is a grommet right next to and down from the silver canister.

I just drilled a small hole in it and ran the vacuum line through it. From there, just run it up to where the vacuum solenoid is. I used a piece of fishing line to pull that line up -- you can't reach down there or push it up from the bottom. A piece of string makes it simple. I think I was done installing it in less than an hour, maybe 45 mins. Can't remember.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by schlepprock379
Personally, I like the plain ol'water cut-off. If you're running with the a/c off and you turn it on you already have hot coolant in the heater core if you're running the dieselsite mod(not trying to dog any ones mods). But with hot coolant already in the core it has to cool down before the improvement is felt. Its true if you want heat with the water cut-off you have to get out and cut it on, but for me, its an a/c mod so I dont cut my water off till its hot outside. And about once a month ill open it to circulate the coolant from the core. Just my .02 cents worth
Schlepprock
With the AC on, it takes like 5 seconds to cool off. That's not a reason to not do this. I like it because my Ranger worked like this, and it's completely mindless. Besides, my wife drives the truck sometimes -- I would end up with phone calls to me, her all pissed because the heater doesn't work....

That alone makes it worth the $40. lol.....

Old 05-05-2008, 11:36 AM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Besides, my wife drives the truck sometimes -- I would end up with phone calls to me, her all pissed because the heater doesn't work....

That alone makes it worth the $40. lol.....[/quote]

He He,I cant argue with that one.LOL

Old 05-05-2008, 12:03 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
With the AC on, it takes like 5 seconds to cool off. That's not a reason to not do this. I like it because my Ranger worked like this, and it's completely mindless. Besides, my wife drives the truck sometimes -- I would end up with phone calls to me, her all pissed because the heater doesn't work....

That alone makes it worth the $40. lol.....
Dont pay the $40. Go to Orielleys(or other favorite bigbox auto parts house) and ask for a heater core shut off for an 02 4.0 Ranger. $18, and another $1.50 for the vacuum line.

<TABLE class=base-table><TBODY><TR><TD style="WIDTH: 10px"></TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; WIDTH: 610px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE class=base-table><TBODY><TR height=1><TD width=175></TD><TD width=10></TD><TD width=410></TD><TD width=5></TD></TR><TR style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TD class=genericHeader colSpan=3>Product Detail </TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=top align=left>

View Fullsize

</TD><TD></TD><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 5px" vAlign=top><TABLE class=base-table><TBODY><TR style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px" height=0><TD width=260></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD width=140></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE class=base-table style="FONT-SIZE: 11px"><TBODY><TR height=1><TD width="50%"></TD><TD width="50%"></TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 14px" colSpan=2>O'REILLY/MURRAY - Heater Valve </TD></TR><TR><TD style="COLOR: #777777" colSpan=2>Item No: 74809 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD></TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 10px" vAlign=top align=middle>
$17.99 Each

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 3px" vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE class=base-table style="FONT-SIZE: 12px" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=10> </TD><TD width=250>1 Per Vehicle </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=10> </TD><TD width=250>1 year limited warranty </TD></TR><TR style="FONT-SIZE: 10px"><TD vAlign=top width=10> </TD><TD width=250>w/4-PORT VALVE </TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 5px" colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; COLOR: #00843a"><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle><TABLE class=base-table width="100%"><TBODY><TR height=0><TD width=70></TD><TD width=70></TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; BOTTOM: -2px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; POSITION: relative" vAlign=bottom colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=redLink style="BORDER-RIGHT: #757575 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top align=middle> </TD><TD class=redLink style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=2>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 05-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
Dont pay the $40. Go to Orielleys(or other favorite bigbox auto parts house) and ask for a heater core shut off for an 02 4.0 Ranger. $18, and another $1.50 for the vacuum line.

<table class="base-table"><tbody><tr><td style="width: 10px;">
</td><td style="padding: 0px; width: 610px;"><table class="base-table"><tbody><tr height="1"><td width="175">
</td><td width="10">
</td><td width="410">
</td><td width="5">
</td></tr><tr style="padding: 0px;"><td class="genericHeader" colspan="3">Product Detail </td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td style="padding: 0px;" align="left" valign="top">

View Fullsize

</td><td>
</td><td style="padding-top: 5px;" valign="top"><table class="base-table"><tbody><tr style="padding: 3px;" height="0"><td width="260">
</td><td width="5">
</td><td width="140">
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top"><table class="base-table" style="font-size: 11px;"><tbody><tr height="1"><td width="50%">
</td><td width="50%">
</td></tr><tr><td style="font-size: 14px;" colspan="2">O'REILLY/MURRAY - Heater Valve </td></tr><tr><td style="color: rgb(119, 119, 119);" colspan="2">Item No: 74809 </td></tr></tbody></table></td><td>
</td><td style="font-size: 10px;" align="center" valign="top">
$17.99 Each

</td></tr><tr><td style="padding-top: 3px;" colspan="2" valign="top"><table class="base-table" style="font-size: 12px;" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="10"> </td><td width="250">1 Per Vehicle </td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="10"> </td><td width="250">1 year limited warranty </td></tr><tr style="font-size: 10px;"><td valign="top" width="10"> </td><td width="250">w/4-PORT VALVE </td></tr><tr><td style="padding-top: 5px;" colspan="2"></td></tr><tr style="font-size: 11px; color: rgb(0, 132, 58);"><td colspan="2">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td align="center" valign="top"><table class="base-table" width="100%"><tbody><tr height="0"><td width="70">
</td><td width="70">
</td></tr><tr><td style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 6px; bottom: -2px; position: relative;" colspan="2" valign="bottom"> </td></tr><tr><td class="redLink" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(117, 117, 117); padding-top: 4px;" align="center" valign="top"> </td><td class="redLink" style="padding-top: 4px;" align="center" valign="top"></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" align="center">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
Don't forget the vacuum line tee if you go this way...

Old 05-05-2008, 04:02 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Who would have thought that some bozo would post this thread and over 13,000+ people have viewed it and 247 replies...just amazes me.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Wink

The fact that someone took the time to write up the instructions 2 years ago is absolutely GREAT!!! and I think that everyone is very appreciative!!

So if I were to cut or drill a hole in the grommet and tie a piece of string to my vacuum line and push it all through then I could grab it from the bottom and pull it up to where I need to hook it to my heater cut-off valve????

Old 05-05-2008, 04:37 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Supercab
The fact that someone took the time to write up the instructions 2 years ago is absolutely GREAT!!! and I think that everyone is very appreciative!!

So if I were to cut or drill a hole in the grommet and tie a piece of string to my vacuum line and push it all through then I could grab it from the bottom and pull it up to where I need to hook it to my heater cut-off valve????
I'm living off the royalties...That approach to connecting up the vacuum line would work! If I remember correctly, I taped (with duct tape) the vacuum hose onto an ice pick and just pushed it through the grommet until I could see the hose come through...then I untaped it and pulled the ice pick out. Don't ask what I am doing with an ice pick in the middle of nowhere, Nevada

Old 06-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Wink

OK, Heres anouther reply to the 2 year old posting!!!!
I just did most of the mod this morning in less than an hour, all went well execpt the running of the vacuum line through the grommet in the firewall.
I found the grommet no problem, but it already has a vacuum line going through it and being a little pressed for time I stopped there.
I am wondering how to get the new line through without the fear of damaging the original one thats there?? any thoughts?? (BTW:LATE 1999 F350 CC Dually 7.3) THANKS!!!!

Old 06-15-2008, 04:11 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Posts #244 and #251 give you two different ways to "skin the cat".

Old 06-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

IZZY351: My LATE 1999 F350 already has a vacuum line going through the grommet, not sure where it goes, but my truck did not have this mod done already for sure, so may be I can go to one side of the grommet, as the original line goes right through the center???

Old 06-15-2008, 10:41 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Supercab
IZZY351: My LATE 1999 F350 already has a vacuum line going through the grommet, not sure where it goes, but my truck did not have this mod done already for sure, so may be I can go to one side of the grommet, as the original line goes right through the center???
YES ...you can...that is what we have all done (one way or the other).

Quick Reply: Wow...REAL Air Conditioning!!