General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Lake Powell Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 03:00 PM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lake Powell Experiences?

I would like to hear from anyone who has rented a houseboat at Lake Powell. We are planning an October trip and I find it strange there are so few reviews about this place. We have a four day rental, leaving from Bullfrog Marina. If the lake is 186 miles long and the houseboat averages 8-10 mph…… we need to concentrate on just few specific areas Any tips or experiences appreciated

Old 07-24-2006, 05:00 PM
blueiron
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro: Scenery
Wildlife

Con: Overcrowded
Drunk and unsafe boaters, jetskiers, drivers, and passengers
Lack of solitude
Expensive [as in everything]
Bad service at concessions / marina
Loud music [rap, hip-hop, rock, country, whatever annoys you] at all hours of the day/night.
Trash and pollution [dirty diapers and human waste included]
Broken stuff on the boats that don't get fixed
People that act like unrestrained 13 year olds on crack

Old 07-24-2006, 05:13 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those cons can be found everywhere,

My cousins and family rented a boat for a week and loved it, this was 10 years ago however.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:14 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't see the really great places on Lake Powell with a houseboat. With only 4 days to do site seeing, you will be hard pressed to get to worthwhile places. Best way is to have about a 20-21 ft boat along also.

Rainbow bridge is about 50 miles from Bullfrog. Nice to see but long travel time in a houseboat. There are canyons closer with Mokie indian ruins that have been restored. Get yourself one of the laminated maps and make sure you get your bearings before leaving the marina.

I've been going to Lake Powell for over 30 years. Lots of people get lost on that lake. With over 2200 miles of shoreline and many, many side canyons, it is easy to get turned around. Watch the skyline for storms rolling in. Storms can come in real fast, high winds along with. DO NOT stay parked by any deep crevice or small, dry side canyon. In a hard rain these places get full of water from way back on the plateu and come rushing out up to 20ft high.

Pay attention, be careful and be aware at all times and you will have a great trip. You can also find a lot of good stuff where you park if you are into snorkeling or diving.