1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Starter Solenoid Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 09:01 PM
FOSE88
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starter Solenoid Problem?

Finally got the new plugs in my 1987, E350 with a 460. Only 8,000 original miles on the vehicle, and hadn't been started in 13 years. Turned the engine over by hand several rev's, put in a new battery, and crossed my fingers. Turn the key - nothing. Jumpered around the starter solenoid and turns over fine. Got a new starter solenoid. Still nothing. Is there any way to tell if it's the starter-neutral switch, or could it be something else?

Old 07-22-2006, 10:08 PM
racinrob
Senior User
hiya, i just learned these motorhomes are a year or two off on the regi.

takes them awhile to build them. shouldn't make a difference for a soleniod but be warned your 88 is a 87 or 86.

are u carbed? then its based on a 86, i think that was the last year for the 460 carbed. they dont get a build year until they finish the vehicle.

good luck

Old 07-24-2006, 08:25 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
If the vehicle has not been started in 13 years, do a LOF!. Then put MMO into each cyl, and turn the engine by hand without spark plugs. I might go as far as priming the oil pump. Then crank it with the starter relay. Then add new plugs. Then replace the fuel pump.

Then, move the transmission level, with your foot on the brake, back and forth multiple times from P to D1. Say, 20 times.

Then see if it starts.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:18 AM
FOSE88
Junior User
Still Won't Turn Over

Took off the engine cover and the trans and shifter mecahnism is right there. Moved the gear shift lever back and forth multiple times and observed the mechanism - everything sees to be functioning mecahnically. Turned the key and still nothing. Jumpered across the new starter solenoid and the engine turns over fine. Thought about maybe an after market "kill" switch having been installed so contacted the previous owners wife (he passed away 13 years ago and that's basically why the unit has set in storage that long). She didn't remember him having done anything like that. What next?