1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Now this is how to sell something on uPay

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 04:42 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Now this is how to sell something on uPay

Little Dearborn, like a few other reproduction vendors, sell a lot on uPay and I always thought their ad were a bit abrasive but the reply he posted to a correction some one sent to them I thought went way overboard.

Q: Q: Hi: Those wont fit a half ton truck. you may wanna fix that. Thanks Brad
Jul-21-06
A: Hello: If you read the description I spelled it out....one and one half ton. That is all one sentence. If this item whould fit one ton, and 1/2 ton, there would have been commas. Selective reading is what may be confusing you. No where in the listing does it say half ton pickup. How do you read 1 1/2 ton???????? and 11/2 ton?????? by deleting the space you will get 11/2 ton or 5 1/2 ton. Big truck does not refer to half ton pickup. The 1 in 1 1/2 does not refer to F1. I suppose I could list these as 3/2 ton, but if you ditched school on the day they taught fractions, then we still have the smae problem. These are for Big Truck Big Truck -------------not little f1 pickups.
Check it out for yourself: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEBI%3AIT

Now I call this real business like aditude. I run my own small business and I would never give this kind of reaction to one of my customers. The guy from Little Dearborn needs to get a hold of himself and not be such a jerk. That's a real good way to built a customer base.

I have read posts on other boards about bad customer relations with parts dealers and this is a prime example for all to see. You would think this jerk would have been smart enough not to post such a stupid responce.

Nice job Little Dearborn.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:50 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think that we should let this post stew for more comments and then email Little Dearborn a link to it.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:56 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There sure is alot of abrasive people in the world. This sure moved to the top of the idiot list. I guess he likes to shoot himself in the foot! I always thought his prices to start with on his auctions were high. If he's going to treat people like that, he'll never get my business!!

Barry

50 F-1

Old 07-21-2006, 07:32 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although it was a stupid question being asked, the seller could have handled it a little better. With a little finesse, he could have actually insulted the customer without being so rude.
I also own a small business and wouldn't have responded this way, for sure. Even if he was having a bad day, you'd think he'd later post some sort of apology for his speech.

Paul

Old 07-21-2006, 08:00 PM
jeff5683
Senior User
He must have had his ***** caught in a bear trap or something.

What an a$$

Old 07-21-2006, 08:48 PM
fiddysixF
Senior User
Thankfully, there are a few parts vendors around for my project. Note to self, no money for "Little Dearborn".

Old 07-21-2006, 09:35 PM
MrF-1
Junior User
Thumbs down Time To Move On!!

I sold on ebay for over 3 years and sold ford truck parts. I can understand why this guy blew up. Many bidders are stupid and do not read. But I would never let the customer know he was a dip-SH@#$ as this guy did. I would smile and do the right thing. It is a fact that customer that do not buy from you today may come back or tell there friends. Don't burn a bridge.

YES - I understand that this guy is sick of people that bid by thumb nail but customer service is customer service and should not reflect the troubles from the customer prior to the one you are currently dealing with.

I SAY BAD FORM!!
I UNDERSTAND THAT PEOPLE ARE STUPID AND CAN NOT READ BUT .......

Side note:
This goes for customers as well as business providers. Just because you are not dealing face to face with your counter part, does not give you the right to leave your manners at the door. I have had problems with not only customers but customer service providers. They feel that because you are letters on a screen you are a target to be taken advantage of. I am 28 and even I know that the way you treat people no matter the format should be polite and respectful.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:35 PM
jeff5683
Senior User
I too can understand why one would get mad.. its one thing to rip the idiot a new one, but its another thing to POST IT FOR THE WHOLE WORLD TO SEE.
What a dousche bag.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
That is rough it would have been easier to have just ignored the email and moved on. I am actually going to send an email to the company with a link to this post so they can read it also. I am from Minnesota and that is just not Minnesota nice.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:56 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
I am a technical writer and understand the vender's flustration - it is amazing how often people do not read descriptions or directions -

However, I did a project for Intel, and have never forgot the discussion on this problem in their style guide - they take the position that it is the job of the writer to communicate his ideas to the reader. If the reader does not read and understand the fault is with the writer. It is up to the writer to write technical information such that not only will the reader understand, but also will keep his interest.

If you fail to communicate it is your problem - period. You don't blame the problem on the customer!

Old 07-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by WillyB
...If the reader does not read and understand the fault is with the writer. It is up to the writer to write technical information such that not only will the reader understand, but also will keep his interest.

If you fail to communicate it is your problem - period. You don't blame the problem on the customer!
No, I can't agree, all too many people simply can't or will not read. Some can read, but can not understand anything.

I can understand the guy's frustration but at the same time a simple reply would have been sufficient. Check out some of the sellers forums on Ebay. Just be warned that there is language and flaming going on there that would never be tolerated here. There are sellers in there that I have on my "blacklist" to never deal with. Many with attitudes many times worse than Little Dearborn's.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:39 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Torque1st
No, I can't agree, all too many people simply can't or will not read. Some can read, but can not understand anything.

. . . .
Then you draw them a picture, or do a table. You are selling to them, and it is your job to make them understand.

But you are correct, there are several people I don't email or post to because of their lack of reading/understanding skills - however, I am not selling to those people.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:51 AM
Code3
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fiddysixF
Note to self, no money for "Little Dearborn".
Yep, and I also agree with 51PanelMan. We should let this thread grow awhile and email it to the company so they can see what an ******** that guy is! Even better, we all could hit him with a barrage of even more asinine questions than the one he originally got so pissed about.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:20 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Some people just can not understand even with tables and drawings. Been there done that. "If you fail to communicate it is your problem - period." -Is just plain wrong. Some people can not be communicated with in any manner.

Old 07-22-2006, 06:30 AM
John2Thomas
Senior User
Personally I had no issues with this reply. The seller has 99.9% feedback on 2000+ items, he must be doing something right!

Quick Reply: Now this is how to sell something on uPay