1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Who Knew "THE DUKE"

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:29 PM
MrF-1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Who Knew "THE DUKE"

Hello group,
This question may seem a little off the subject but I sware it will come back to it in the end. My questions is, does any one know a great deal about the personal life of John Wayne. I have some questions that may relate to the original owner of my old truck. I have good reason to believe that my 1948's oringal owner was "THE REAL" John Wayne. It may sound a little out of this world, but I have the pink with his name. I am the second legal owner.

To further intrust my suspitions, I also had a friend of his contact me when he recognised it on my website. He was a movie studio crew man in the late 1940's - 1950's that was hired durring the summers to work on his ranch. He remembered this truck with great detail.

I would like to know if I can find anyone else that may have some info that I can use to further the proof that this was Mr. Wayne's Ranch truck.

The truck: At this point I have proof that the truck was build in the long beach California plant and sent to a dealer in Hollywood. It was a show room truck and built in late 1947. The truck was registered to John Wayne. The truck was used on Mr. Wayne's ranch for many years and commonly used to drive to town. It was considered his sunday truck. ( A low mileage truck that was used for non-ranch hand work.)
Note: I was also told that his yacht was also registered to John Wayne. For those thinking he may have only used his birth name.

The truck was sold to, what I believe, many had been someone at his estate sale. It was held for a few years. Then turned over to another owner that lived in Stanton California. Who had the truck for 3-5 months. He had just finished a 65-Mustange and was burnt on resto's, so I then got it. I have had the truck for about 8 years. That bring us about up to date.

Much of the information I have is solid, but I would still like to proove without a shadow of a doubt that this was infact owned by John Wayne.

Any comment or feedback would be great!!

Old 07-21-2006, 01:37 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I can tell you he had a home here in Kent Washington for what it's worth.

Rod 51F1

Old 07-21-2006, 05:27 AM
sancochojoe
Senior User
Where are the pics???

Old 07-21-2006, 09:24 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
would it have been registered to John Wayne or under his real name?

Last edited by fatfenders56; 07-21-2006 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:59 AM
MrF-1
Junior User
Talking The Duke

I explored this with much vigger. I too thought the same thing. But I was told that he had his name legaly changed before this truck would have been purchiced. It was not just his stage name, but his legal name. I also talked with the owner of his yacht. A nice man that at the time had it birthed at the port in long beach California. He too said the yacht was titled under John Wayne. After explaining what I had, he too was very sure that it was more then likely his old ranch truck.

Again I would like to disproove it as much as proove it. But I keep getting little snips that lead me closer and closer to thinking this may be true. Now I am starting to get first hand accounts of people seeing the truck on his ranch. So I can not be too far from the trueth.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:47 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You should be able to do a title history search through the CA DMV. Call them at 916-657-8035 and explain to them what you have. They should be able to help you or direct you to someone who can.

Ilya

Old 07-21-2006, 11:56 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pics would be awesome, talk about an amazing peice of history.

RP
Zach

Old 07-21-2006, 11:57 AM
MrF-1
Junior User
I am not to sure what they would be able to help me do. I already have the orignal pink stating his name. Other then that would they be able to really offer more info?? Let me know if you think they can!

Old 07-21-2006, 12:11 PM
sancochojoe
Senior User
How about the previous address of the owner. Can that be squeezed from DMV?

Old 07-21-2006, 12:20 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MrF-1
I am not to sure what they would be able to help me do. I already have the orignal pink stating his name. Other then that would they be able to really offer more info?? Let me know if you think they can!
I would suggest locating a John Wayne historian to see if they can shed some light onto your situation. Perhaps there are photos of the truck and John Wayne...???? But, then how can you verify it?? I would think that if you search hard enough and follow every lead, someone would be able to verify it.

I don't this, but did John Wayne have any kids or family left that could perhaps confirm your suspicion?

Ilya

Old 07-21-2006, 12:22 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by sancochojoe
How about the previous address of the owner. Can that be squeezed from DMV?
With the strictest privacy laws in the nation, the CA DMV won't release any information, but a name. You'd have to request a search as stated in my prior post.

Mr F-1, how recently has the truck been registered in CA and do you have its CA license plate #? I might be able to help.

Ilya

Old 07-21-2006, 12:29 PM
sancochojoe
Senior User
I found this site

https://www.abika.com/forms/vehiclehistory.asp

The redirect kills the above link so you might have to cut and paste.

Quote:
"Fill this Section only for Trace Classic Cars, Pleasure Craft and Aircraft Registrations:
(If the VIN for your Classic Auto is 17 characters we can do a nationwide search if it is less than 17 characters then search is done by state)"

That searches classic vehicle VIN numbers that are less than 17 digits. There is a whopping fee like:

Search Vehicle Registrations & Ownership $89
Vehicle Title History $99
Name & Address from Drivers License Number $39 etc etc

Last edited by sancochojoe; 07-21-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:48 PM
MrF-1
Junior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
With the strictest privacy laws in the nation, the CA DMV won't release any information, but a name. You'd have to request a search as stated in my prior post.

Mr F-1, how recently has the truck been registered in CA and do you have its CA license plate #? I might be able to help.

Ilya
I do have the plates but the truck has not been registered since 99 or so. It is now in storage at my father in laws ranch in New Mexico awaiting a new wiring system. I plan to bring it to Scottsdale Arizona and show it once it is running again. But wouldn't it change my plans if this info was 100%. I planned to make the truck a vintage gas station or speed shop logoed truck. But I am now thinking of bringing it back to its orignal color with the old ranchs name on the doors.

Would anyone know the name of his california ranch. I know his 60's Ranch in arizona was the "MILKY WAY" - So I would assume he named his California ranch.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:53 PM
MrF-1
Junior User
I also got rumor that Mr Wayne never got a Drivers lincense. I had a buddy at a car show introduce me to a retired cop. He said he worked in L.A. and pulled him over once. After getting handed Mr. Waynes fishing license as proof of his ID. He could not produce his drivers licence. The guy was a massive fan and let him go with a warning and a John Hancock. Not sure if this story is true, but the guy seemed really excited to tell it.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:49 PM
MrF-1
Junior User
I do know that his widow / X-wife is still alive and an artist in Laguna / Irvine area. I wonder if he was married to her around this time!? Here is shot of the truck just before the resto started.

Quick Reply: Who Knew "THE DUKE"