1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

88 F 150 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 09:33 PM
hammer440
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 88 F 150 Won't Start

Both fuel tanks were leaking. so I removed the rear and just replaced the side mount tank. I have a new fuel pump and tank, I wasn't getting any gas to the rail, so I changed the filter and checked all lines. I also Primed the booster pump and got it started. I shut if off and on a couple of times then waited about 20 min. went to start it again and it wouldn't start. I checked the rail and I am getting gas. I can also get it going with starting fluid but it will die in just a few seconds. Before I changed the tank and pump, I thought I had ran out of gas but as I am thinking maybe it was something else, The morning I was on my way to work it started right off but died it started again and was running but died as I backed out of the drive then died and it wouldn't start again that is why I suspected the fuel system. I have spark from the coil and number 1 cylinder but the only time it seems to want to fire is when I hit it with starting fluid.
It is a 302 EFI system. Any help with this would be so very very appreciated.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:28 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're definatly NOT getting enough fuel, or it's flodded. Try holding the pedal to the floor as this will shut off the injectors, then crank. IF it starts then start checking the obvious things. Have a buddy help and see if the IN tank pump is running. It may have a bad ground and not be-.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:17 PM
hammer440
New User
We can hear the pump running in the tank. I am starting to wonder since I am using the lines from the back tank, if maybe the front tank pump might be a lower volume pump than the back tank and with the lines being so much longer it isn't big enough to push the gas through that long of line, or the new pump is faulty.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:07 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by hammer440
We can hear the pump running in the tank. I am starting to wonder since I am using the lines from the back tank, if maybe the front tank pump might be a lower volume pump than the back tank and with the lines being so much longer it isn't big enough to push the gas through that long of line, or the new pump is faulty.
What did you do with the front pump lines?
What did you do about the Fuel selector valve/reservoir on the frame?
You should have lines running from the tank to a reservoir (no valve) and then to the Hi-Pressure Pump. The check valve for this system is in the Hi-Pressure Pump. The front and rear pumps pump the same.

Here is two diagrams of the fuel systems, before and after.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:26 PM
hammer440
New User
The front tank lines had a bad kink in them so that is why I swapped them out I have ordered new ones from LMC. I took the lines I wasn't using off the reservior and capped them off. I borrowed a friends pressure tester today and just checked it and there was only about 10lbs of pressure, So I guessing I have a bad fuel pump in the tank. Unless you or someone might have another reason. Because I am all out of idea's.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:37 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
First I would take off the Selector Valve reservoir and replace it with one with no Valves in it. The non-valve reservoir should be an easy find, all of the Bronco IIs had them and any single tank F series truck of that era.
The one on there now may not be lined up right inside, but if it is then you are right and the Hi-Pressure Pump may be bad.

Last edited by subford; 07-20-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:19 PM
hammer440
New User
Well thats another thing, I can put gas in a jar and use the high pressure pump and it runs, as soon as I take it out of the jar and hook it back in-line it will start a couple of times then you wait and it won't start again, I was thinking it was the new pump in the tank, but if you think its the high pressure pump.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:53 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
I was trying to say I think you need to make sure the selector valve is OK before you do any thing else.
If the valve gets lined up and the high pressure pump is primed then I am told that you do not even need to pump in the tank and it will run OK.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:57 PM
hammer440
New User
Oh ok I appreciate that, I will see what I can do tomorrow I will let you know what happens I appreciate your help!!!

Old 07-21-2006, 05:25 PM
hammer440
New User
Smile Got it going

Well I found my problem this morning the fuel line was kinked. But now after I let it run I the fuel pressure drops to nothing and I have to turn the key on and off about 15 times to get the pressure up where it will start. Does anyone have an idea on what is causing that I have looked in all my books and it says very little or nothing about that.

And I want to thank everyone who answered my post for the wisdom and help!!!!

Old 07-21-2006, 06:31 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
More than likely it is the Frame mounted Hi-Pressure Fuel Pump that is bad now. It sounds like it is not pumping up very well and when it does the check valve inside of it will not hold the pressure. But you could still have some other restriction to the fuel flow.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:37 AM
hammer440
New User
Well I have changed the high pressure pump the pump in the tank and it runs but as soon as I take off and pick up speed it starts to lose power backfire a little then it stops running. Now I am at a complete lose of what is going on. I hope someone might have an idea on what is going on.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:52 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
If your fuel pressure is OK now, you might want to change the TFI Module on the side of the Distributor.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:41 PM
hammer440
New User
Well here we go. I put a new TFI moduel on it started right up I checked the timing put the spout in and it died. Everytime I put the spout in it dies. So I left it out and went up the road not to 40mph and it died and would not start again.
I am going to go ahead and replace the fuel regulator (and god help the S.O.B.who ever designed it to screw from the bottom, let me in a room with this idiot for just 5 min.) But I am at the end of my rope. I never ever had this sort of problem with all the fords i have had in the past.

Old 07-30-2006, 06:40 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Did you ever do this..........

"First I would take off the Selector Valve reservoir and replace it with one with no Valves in it. The non-valve reservoir should be an easy find, all of the Bronco IIs had them and any single tank F series truck of that era.
The one on there now may not be lined up right inside."

Quick Reply: 88 F 150 Won't Start