6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Ford Techs opinion please....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 09:15 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Techs opinion please....

Seems we have more 6.0l techs in here as of late. With all the ULSD and bio-diesel questions continuing to surface, figure I would ask again. Have any seen B99 or any ammounts above Ford/International B5 limit actually cause injectors to fail? It was mentioned here a year or so ago about the Bio plasticizing the injectors if B99 was used. Any truth to this? Aftermarket injector to look at installing? I have asked this question several times in several different sections here on the FTE, and have never recieved an answer one way or the other. Personally I have the 100K extended warranty on my truck, and obviously don't want to void the warranty by running Bio, however when she does reach 100K I figure all the problems will have occurred and be fixed. With Fabman's expertise on Bio, I feel it would be well worth while to pursue this. If a fella could make bio for under a $1 per gallon a set of injectors could be paid for in fuel savings rather quickly. I suspect after the engine is no longer being produced, aftermarket will run rampant with offerings for the engine everyone loves to hate, the 6.0L.

Ryan

Old 07-15-2006, 09:34 PM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ford still does not recommend running bio diesel. if you choose to while under your warranty ford can reject the claim. does biodiesel work, yes , does ford feel comfortable with it no. there are to many possibilities to screw up a batch of bio diesel and i believe that is why ford is worried.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:47 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
In Louisiana, Ford/International won't be able to hide behind that stance much longer. Signed into State law a couple weeks ago was the biofuels act. Mandating the use of ethanol and biodiesel. The mandate scares the heck out me, as I believe free enterprise should be driving this, not the state Agricultural Secretary. However the one thing it does do is it will now have a regulated standard. The auto industry and the oil and gas industry would be wise to embrace it, as the age old Major Oil/Major Automaker alliance is just about come to a head.

Ryan

Old 07-15-2006, 11:15 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I'm not a tech.....your state can mandate all they want. Your injectors are not Bio-fuel friendly. Ford excepts a percentage of Bio and the USLD is no problem for the 6.0L. No after market Bio injectors are offered as far as I know, Beans Diesel and a few others are offering performance injectors.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:24 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it state in the warranty that biodiesel should not be used. With a bunch off biodiesel pumps around me. Lots off people are using it. So what does it do to the injectors making it bio fuel unfriendly? There must have been some problems already. Lot off people will be in for a big surprise if they have problems.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:20 AM
CanadaGuy
Elder User
I've never read through the warranty guide, but I'm pretty sure it allows up to 5% biodiesel. I do recall being shown pieces of an injector that had been used with biodiesel in a training course, and the plates were all gummed up. Mind you, I've never seen the internals of a used injector that hadn't used biodiesel to compare it to.

Last edited by CanadaGuy; 07-16-2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:15 AM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
I'm not a tech.....your state can mandate all they want. Your injectors are not Bio-fuel friendly. Ford excepts a percentage of Bio and the USLD is no problem for the 6.0L. No after market Bio injectors are offered as far as I know, Beans Diesel and a few others are offering performance injectors.
The direction I am going with this is,

1. Is Ford/Internationals standpoint due to lack of consistancy?

Mandates, considering standards that meet or exceed petro diesel, especially with the advent of ULSD would seem to me pretty easy to achieve.

2. Is it an unholy alliance with the Major Oil companies to keep us addicted to petro diesel?

Remember, when oil companies run out of diesel, or it cuts into their profit margin they will be looking for something else to sell us.

3. Or does it actually cause harm to the injectors? (most important, yet not much data seems to exist one way or the other)

If so, seems someone will jump on this bandwagon and make some that will, and make a fortune off of it.

In short, as I said in the original post, it seems as of late we have many more 6.0l techs here. With the numerous injector failures of the 6.0l, (by now, not all injectors that have failed are just the defective ones) coupled with the fact that more and more bio diesel is available and being used, if they are actually seeing hard data supporting the 5% guideline. I understand the cleaning effect of the bio on the entire fuel system, and that in itself is probably enough to scare Ford/International to death. Just wondering if their company lawyers wrote that portion of the warranty guide.

Ryan

Last edited by mrxlh; 07-16-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not a Tech, but here's a link to Ford Doctors site:

www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-03.php

Near the bottom of the page under "Other issues related to fuel" there is info about using Bio-Diesel in PSD's which addresses question 3.

Also, my Ford manual states 5% Bio-Diesel is OK to use. It's just not available anywhere close to where I live, work or vacation so I haven't tried it yet.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:32 AM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Good, this is what I am after, new injectors, and new fuel tank. Still a very worthy trade off from $3 diesel to less than a $1 diesel.

Ryan

Old 07-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
I guess my point is I would rather see you screw up a Diesel Rabbit than using high rates of Bio or home brewed in your 6.0L

On the tech side of seeing a trend who knows. Ford states 5% Keep it clean and lubricated....pretty straight forward.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:43 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You dont have to be a ford tech to know this, you also have fuel lines that arent compatible with bio---fuel pumps not compatible---fuel filters not compatible---regulators not compatible, we havent even got to the injectors or tank problems yet. With the problem the 6.0 faces every day with inconsistent fuel quality(no other motor is more sensitive in my opinion) do you really want to try it? I understand saving money, but this is too much of a crap shoot to me.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
As far as the techs are concerned, people are stupid and the jury pool is tainted. You could only find a final answer in a closed testing session. I know of a guy who is introducing his old engine oil back into the fuel system. With talk of $4 diesel prices the tech is going to see a rash of fuel problems.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:00 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Originally Posted by vloney
You dont have to be a ford tech to know this, you also have fuel lines that arent compatible with bio---fuel pumps not compatible---fuel filters not compatible---regulators not compatible, we havent even got to the injectors or tank problems yet. With the problem the 6.0 faces every day with inconsistent fuel quality(no other motor is more sensitive in my opinion) do you really want to try it? I understand saving money, but this is too much of a crap shoot to me.
Yeah and someone said we would never land on the moon too. Like it or not its coming. I cannot and will not roll over and play dead. Someone, somewhere has to see the opportunity in all of this. After all its not rocket science. I have a very hard time believing that their is not a material known to man that will withstand Bio Diesel. After all if it was that damaging what does everyone keep it in and how does it not destroy it?

Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
As far as the techs are concerned, people are stupid and the jury pool is tainted. You could only find a final answer in a closed testing session. I know of a guy who is introducing his old engine oil back into the fuel system. With talk of $4 diesel prices the tech is going to see a rash of fuel problems.
It is a sad sad day when techs slant this type of discussion. Pretty closed minded if you ask me. Remember it was not us the consumer that did not know how to fix these trucks. So while I appreciate the sarchasm, anyone can quote the owners warranty guide. I was hoping that we may have something more than parts changers here. What is very baffling to me is everyone acts like the injector was just invented last week. Oh well, same answers I have gotten the last couple times I have asked. No problem.

Ryan

Old 07-16-2006, 05:40 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That right, attack the tech. messages when you don't like the experts' opinion

Ryan sounds like the kind of new truck owner that would run cheap oil, cheap fuel, cheap filters and cheap parts
Maybe the money he saves will pay for his non warranty repairs at the Ford diesel shop if he can get in.

Who even tests bio-diesel fryer grease? Washington state does not. EPA does not. Joe Smuck in his lab behind the alcohol/fryer fat still cranking out methdiesel, NOT?

Last edited by 96_4wdr; 07-16-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:03 PM
CanadaGuy
Elder User
I've been looking on the PowerStroke Central website, and can't find anything to support or condemn bio-diesel with HEUI injectors. But what I think is that Ford and/or International have designed these injectors to run on a particular grade of fuel. If they are going to warranty these rather expensive parts, they should have to be used in the way they were designed. Luckily bio-diesel hasn't made it into my neck of the continent yet!

Quick Reply: Ford Techs opinion please....