Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Cooling, Heating, Ventilation & A/C
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2006, 01:35 PM
New User

michael71 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A/C Spring Lock Coupling-Cannot get Apart-Help !

I am changing out my A/Compressor, etc on my Ford Truck. I cannot get one of the A/Cl lines loose at the "spring lock coupling". I have the proper spring lock coupling tool and all but this one came loose fairly easy. I have sprayed the area with WD 40 and penetrating oil but cannot get the lines loose. Anybody got any ideas? I have never had this happen before. The coupling does not look damaged.

Thanks...
Old 07-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

See you on the boards. ….
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 07-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud of
Twisting while pulling usually is the answer. Make certain you have one of the OEM type tools. They fully enclose the coupler plus give you something to hold onto while you push the sleeve portion into the springlock.

PB Blaster helps to loosen it up first. WD40 is pretty worthless.

Steve
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 07-15-2006, 08:39 PM

lsrx101 has a very good reputation on FTE.lsrx101 has a very good reputation on FTE.lsrx101 has a very good reputation on FTE.
These are the ones Steve is talking about:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?A11C2596D

May I ask why you are replacing the compressor?
Old 07-15-2006, 09:50 PM
New User

Yes, this is the type of spring lock tools I use. I have 2 sets. I have worked all day at trying to get this one coupling loose. All the others came apart. This one is not corroded nor beat up. I have taken the low pressure line loose at one end so I can twist it at the other end at the coupling while trying to get it apart. The spring inside the coupling looks ok. Not bent or corroded. If I took a hooked awl and pulled the spring out, would that release the coupling?
I am replacing the compressor as the clutch burnt up and new clutch was almost as much as a complete compressor. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Post Fiend

rusty70f100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rusty70f100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I got a metal Napa one that works very well. I have not had good luck with the plastic ones.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:15 PM
New User

Thanks to all for the info. I finally went and found a metal spring lock tool and the coupling came right loose. I do not know why the plastic would not work on this coupling. The plastic worked fine on all the others. Anyway, problem solved and thanks to all.

Mike
Old 07-16-2006, 03:15 PM