Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Powerstroke vs. Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Bagger
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLE the picture you posted of everything hooked up was in my mind when I made my post!

Old 07-15-2006, 10:56 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bagger, I have a hard time swallowing the junk some poeple post. I look at it as if you don't have experience with a particular vehicle/engine/trans/ect you shouldn't give advise about what you don't know, it gets under my skin some days, lol! I've also actually bought a larger camper recently and like I said before I still haven't found it to be a problem (pic of the new camper is in the SD @ work gallery). I'll have to update it when I get a picture with it and the boat, for now the camper alone will have to do.

I will also have to recomend a second gas engine that could also do the job and thats the 8.1 but obviously I'm partial to the V10. As far as the question that was actually asked I would recommend the cummins only based off the fact that the guys that I know with strokers have alway dumped them with 100k or less on them (no major problems, they just like new trucks!). The two guys I know with cummins have both racked up some serious miles and the one guy has over 600k miles between two different cummins powered trucks and he uses them to pull a 36ft fifth wheel and a 22ft starcarft boat in tandem (have no Idea how much the whole rig weighs but I would guess his GCW to be 25-30k lbs), something I know that would be considered as working the ***** out them, lol. The first one was a five speed that he only replaced the clutch on once but the second (current one) has an auto that has been rebuilt/replaced 6 times!! Now this is a 1998 truck, so it has the old trany, but 6 times is LOT no matter who you are!! I've been told the cummins has a better respose to modding but that just hearsay so take it with a grain of salt!

Old 07-15-2006, 11:01 AM
1cool79150
New User
I heard a rumor that Ford bought cummins from Dodge and is goin to put it in the 2008 trucks . It was said to have twin turbos and produce 500 hp stock. But like I said a rumor, not official.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:18 AM
bf250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1cool79150
I heard a rumor that Ford bought cummins from Dodge and is goin to put it in the 2008 trucks . It was said to have twin turbos and produce 500 hp stock. But like I said a rumor, not official.

please tell me this is just a sarcastic and not serious remark.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:21 AM
bf250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SLE
Yep, when I hook my new travel trailor up (dry weight of 7300lbs/wet of nearly 9000lbs) to my V10 and then proceed to hook my boat to the travel trailor (about another 2500lbs) the V10 won't even move it...............................give me a freakin break. I cann't beleive the things that people say some days; heck I'm grossing just about 19k lbs and although I'm not in the mountains I can accelerate up 1 mile long 6-8% graded hills and can maintain 70mph even with 3.73 gears and larger than stock tires!! Yes, my mileage is only around 8 when towing that load, but for the whopping 6,500 miles per year (3000 towing some type of trailor or another) I am as happy as can be.

my 1995 f350 with a 460 did great pulling, once i opened up the exaust and intake that is, what a huge improvement! and it pulled good with 3.73 gears and 35 inch swampers.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:44 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
bf250, are you being serious or sarcastic about the 3.73s, swampers, and pulling good? I only ask because I know if I went to much larger tire than I am now I would have to, at the minimum, regear if I wanted to be able to tow the boat and camper and maintain hwy speed on the hills.

Thats a good rumor about the cummins; if you'r actually serious, page up to the 6.4 Powerstroke forum so they can set you streight, lol.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:00 PM
1cool79150
New User
No I was being serious. Employees at Freightliner which are affiliated w/ Dodge said they were told that. I hope it doesn't ever happen.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:04 PM
SLE
Posting Guru
It's not going to, like I said go up to the 6.4 Powerstoke Forum.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:45 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1cool79150
No I was being serious. Employees at Freightliner which are affiliated w/ Dodge said they were told that. I hope it doesn't ever happen.

ok, lets set this straight, you can even go to the cummins website if you want to see for yourself. ford does not own any part of cummins, they use to own like 10 percent a few years ago but sold it.

the engine that is getting put into the sd is an international built 6.4 engine. it is not dual turbo charged, it is a sesquential turbo, which means a small one feeds into the bigger one.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:54 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SLE
bf250, are you being serious or sarcastic about the 3.73s, swampers, and pulling good? I only ask because I know if I went to much larger tire than I am now I would have to, at the minimum, regear if I wanted to be able to tow the boat and camper and maintain hwy speed on the hills.

Thats a good rumor about the cummins; if you'r actually serious, page up to the 6.4 Powerstroke forum so they can set you streight, lol.

i didn't pull anyting all the time, but i did pull stuff for friends and pulled my jeep around on a trailer. i lived up in washington at the time so has hills and such. with my 35 inch swampers, it pulled just as good with the 33 inch i had before.

about wieght, lets see, most of the time it was pulling a jeep around, and a couple of times it was a extended cab f250, crew cab f350, an old dodge crew cab and wood a couple times each year.

besides the gas mileage, the truck did great at pulling. it pulled better than when i first got it even, i give that due to getting a better air filter and better exhaust, after i did those mods, the truck was a monster.

of course this is all a 460, i don't know anything about v10's.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:18 PM
FarmboyAC
Senior User
If your talking about the dodge that i have, it is a 4x4 single cab with a full DTT auto tranny.
I think 600 HP would be adequate for a daily driver...FarmboyAC are you 4WD or 2WD?

Old 09-18-2006, 11:38 AM
truckguy300
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bagger
Quote:I will be loading his 76 CJ7 onto the trailer with my ford and off we will go, and I dont know of any gas truck that will tow both of those vehicles.

yeah the jeep and f150 should be aroung 8K pounds no gasser could come close to dragging THAT kind of wieght!
Oh, really? My 02 F-250 5.4 somehow pulled a 16,000lbs (over the limit of everything on that truck) trailer up hill with no problem. How? it just did!
Front wheels almost off the ground but still did the job.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:54 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Sero390
Hi all, I am considering purchase of a diesel truck to replace my current gas truck. I want to daily drive it, so no more than 6 inch lift on 35's, and plan on doing occasional pulling of a boat or dirtbikes. I am skeptical of both the LBZ and the LLY Dmax, and I do not like Inferior Front Suspension. I have narrowed it down to the 2003-2005 Dodge Ram 2500 or a new PSD...I like the 6.0 liter but I think its a little out of my budget at this time and if I have to wait to buy I am just going to go ahead and wait for the 6.4 liter. I plan on doing some modding (programmer, ball bearing turbo, big exhaust etc) and I would like to know what will be the most reliable truck out of the two. I have seen many a dodge auto trans go to hell in a handbag at a very low miles but have heard many great things about the cummins. Either truck will be an xtra cab 4x4, auto trans. Fuel Mileage is a BIG concern, however if I can have stump pulling torque and HP levels I can justify horrid mileage. Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated. I thank-you all in advance for your time and help.
I'm a FORD GUY and have been for years since the 70s. Asking a question like what you asked here won't give you an objective opinion. If you say anything against FORD on this site you'll be ignored or BASHED. Don't get me wrong this is a great site but only if you want to talk FORD, FORD, FORD.
I suggest you ask this question before you BUY over at www.dodgetrucks.org Also. I can tell you they aren't as Dodge crazy as this site is FORD crazy.
I drive old crap, have no use for the new JUNK. I would and have said it many times before if I slipped into INSANITY and thought a new truck must sit in front of my house I would buy a DODGE CUMMINS with a 6 sp.
I have both an 86 F250 4x4 and an 88 Dodge 2wd. The Ford has 180,000 miles on it the 88 Dodge has 96,000 miles. At 123,000 miles on the Ford the whole front end had to be replaced including steering box. the tranny C-6 had to be completely rebuilt. The Dodge doesn't need any of that. and I doubt 25,000 miles from now it will need it. Maybe upper control arm bushings, and ball joints. Not streering linkage, steering box etc. Also fuel pump problems on the Ford to the tune of $500. The Dodge has no fuel problems.
So to say one is that much better than the other depends on what day it was built as we use to say when I worked for a FORD DEALERSHIP in the 80s.
Do I like the Dodge better? NO. They both have different uses. Because the 360, with 4sp, 4:10s get better mileage than a 460, C-6, 3:55s the Dodge is the daily driver. The Ford pulls for a living 10,000# and I might add very well.
I have a friend that has 3 Dodge Cummins Trucks, one an 98 1 ton dually 2wd, one 93 2wd, one 91 2wd. The 98 & 93 are pumped big time. the biggest injectors that will fit, Banks Turbo, & tranny set-up etc. They pull tractors being a Farm Tractor Dealer, Empty the 98 gets 22MPG, Pulling 10,000+ pounds it gets 14 MPG. For any of you in the Las Vegas area it will pull Spring Mountain Hwy 160 with 10,000# in direct at 70 MPH. That's going from 1200 ft of elev. to 5500 ft in less than 5 miles. NO FORD HAS PASTED HIM YET. In fact I was with him one day when he out pulled an empty 04 F350. When we got to Pahrump the guy followed us and when we pulled into the shop he came up to us wanting to know what was in that Dodge. He couldn't believe it.
So ask around before you buy.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Jerme
Senior User
Originally Posted by truckguy300
Oh, really? My 02 F-250 5.4 somehow pulled a 16,000lbs (over the limit of everything on that truck) trailer up hill with no problem. How? it just did!
Front wheels almost off the ground but still did the job.
I think he wants to go a little faster than 16 mph though...

Old 09-19-2006, 12:54 AM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
LOL at all of the above posts. Sorry you think the D/A combo has a weak IFS. The only thing weak is the tierod ends. Which is about $150 for real ones. The duramax is first class, as is the Allison. For an overall package, I think you are missing the mark. A good 6 speed tranny and a good 6.6 diesel vs a bad PSD and a good Torque shift vs (at the very least) an outdated 4 speed tranny, and a good cummins diesel. Sorry you think a real truck has to have a SFA and ride like a "truck."

Quick Reply: Powerstroke vs. Cummins