The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

Ford ASSET Program

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Coronado
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ford ASSET Program

Hi,

I'm wanting to enter the ASSET program, and I've heard from multiple people to goto the local Dealership and ask about information and such, but I'm sort of apprehensive about doing that. So I was wondering if thats the correct way to get in, or is there some sort of different and better way? I also wanted to know about what they all pay for, I know they pay for the schooling, but what about the tools, boarding, etc?

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:35 PM
downhillpat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, where I'm at, the local ASSET program doesn't exist so I'l be taking Ford MLR (maintenance and light repair...don't let the name throw ya, the whole program I'm taking includes a lot more)

But the way it used to work around here and I was 2 years too late, was that you would go to a tech college and apply for the program like a normal college. Go to www.fordasset.com and you'll find out most you need to know there. ASSET is still around, but it would cost me mega gas money for the fiddy to get there. Carb w/ Secondaries+C6 3 speed =$$$$$$kaching!!! I am opec's best friend....

Tools, boarding, and even the schooling you initially have to pay for unless you're in good with and/or working for a dealership...or at least that's how I read it. I would have had my tools had the dealership from my AYES internship kept me on which they were supposed to do and bought the tools in the first place...hell I didn't even get any uniforms...but I still get the employee discount on parts, so it's all good.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
www.uticorp.com offers the program i believe. Just to forwarn you, these schools always put up alot of hype. They make it sound like you'll be making big bucks when you graduate and you'll get a job right away. The 3 people i know who went there all returned back to my home town, they all got jobs at gas stations. this was like 1 year ago. Now one works at a chevy dealership washing cars, the other 2 still work at gas stations i believe. Its better than nothing i guess, and you would have to move up to a big city to get a good job in the field that you can actually survive in. They also give you 1k dollars worth of snap on tools too. and you get whatever you want at half price too.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Frdbuy8589
Senior User
Oh sorry I know its old but I just saw this. anywho I just graduated from the asset program myself this past june. Every dealership is different but I can tell you from my experience was my dealer that I worked at had no idea what the program was. Some places that my friends were at had several kids in the program. Go online, I'd think thats your best bet to find info. Theres not many schools left around that still teach it, thats why in my class there where kids from 4 states. You'd have to get a job at a dealership first before school then you go to school. Therfore you may get your dealership to foot some of the bill. If you go to a dealership don't be surprised if they know little about it. But if you can do it, its the absolute best way to go. A degree and factory training and certs are good.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:17 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
making big bucks when you graduate and you'll get a job right away.
its all about marketing... but they do help ya out, My bro graduated 2 years ago from uti, then went on to uti's "volvo school" then was placed att a volvo dealer... Completeion of a year of work there and Volvo paid for the school (10 grand)

if your an Assbuster, you'll never be without work

Old 08-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
The program is offered through select technical colleges, including UTI. I personally did not do Ford ASSET, but I did do Mercedes-Benz ELITE, through UTI(they are contracted to do it by M-B). What they say you will make, don't count on it. Getting a job, well the chances are better, but the money may suck. Some dealers may pay for the training if they hire you. I had been with mercedes since 12th grade, so getting a job wasn't my concern. I had to sign a contract with my dealer to work for 18 months to have them pay for the Elite( did not get reimbursed for 2 year degree). Two weeks after my contract was up, I gave my two weeks notice. They knew I was stuck and screwed me with crap work all the time because I would fix it right. Got fed up. Quite honestly the flat rate system sucks. I am ASE master certified and left the auto industry to work on Komatsu equipment and couldn't be happier with the decision. I will be glad to talk more about this if you have any questions. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to be honest.

-Scott

Also, do you have your own tools already? If not open your wallet, pull out 20-30k and you're set. And very far in debt. Keep that in mind. Tools get very, very expensive.

Last edited by Ferguson65; 08-21-2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
I was seriously looking at UTI and thinking about doing the ford ASSET thing, but then realized i didnt want to be a mechanic at a dealership doing the flat rate thing for the rest of my life. When UTI talks about the flat rate thing, they do it on the bright side saying you can actually make alot more money, but in reality, i think you make alot less. I'm actually starting school tommorow at a 4 year university for automotive engineering, and i'm glad i did. i think this will be fun. plus, along with my major in automotive engineering technology, i'm getting a minor in manufacturing engineering technology, so i always have something to fall back on.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:46 PM
jpjahn
Posting Guru
This doesn't really have anything to do with reimbursment of tuitioin but....Before I graduated from high school I was looking into the Motorcycle Mechanic part of UTI. The guy came out to my house and showed me a video. Everything looks cool, sounds fun, and it probably is. When he got to the part about how much money I would probably be making I was alittle shocked. He said in my first year I would still be at around $8 an hour and it would only increase a few bucks after awhile. My dad and I called around to local shops and asked if going to the school really helped get you in, and sometimes the answer was "yes", but for the most part it was just as easy to start out low and work your way up. I think making min wage for a year is better than spending 25K+ for a year and then starting at just above min wage. You would probably learn the same stuff too.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Peter94
Postmaster
Yeah for MMI, (I have a friend who's doing that program right now at UTI in AZ), thats probably all you will start out at. When you graduate a 4 year university you will more than likely find a job somewhere that starts at around 15$ an hour (at least in automotive engineering) depending on location and stuff. but i can almost guarentee you that it wont be 8$ an hour.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:03 AM
tnt123
New User
yup

Joined it.. graduated in 07.. currently unemployed. Rank top 5 in class... only three asset students stayed as techs at Ford... one of the top five students stayed as a tech. at Ford... From my experience it was definitely not worth it. It's sad to see some of my colleagues working at Jiffy Lube changing oil. Waste of 2 years? yes.

A tip from the many techs I worked with: Don't fix cars all your life, you can do better.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Peter94
Postmaster
Just thought after 4 years i'll give an update too.

Just coming to the end of my 4 year degree (well 5 years because I worked). This last summer I did an internship in MI with Ford and was paid $16/hr for it. The day after I got back home they called and offered me a full time position for when I graduate starting between $21 and $23 per hour.

I have been applying to other places more locally because I want to explore all of my options.

One thing I can say is its nice not having to be stuck as a technician after all of this.

I would always recommend a 4 year degree after what I have seen.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:49 PM
jpjahn
Posting Guru
Ill update too. After high school I took a few months off to play. Then I got a job with a local concrete company. With no experience I made it to a 988 loader after about 9 months. 3 years later I had paid cash for a house, my new car and crotch rocket. Its so much nicer to know I don't have school loans or any kind of debt. Especially when every kid I went to school with that went to college either can't find work or are working in something they didn't go to school for.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Coronado
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow, I guess I'll update too after 4 years and a email note.

I ended up going to UTI in Glendale Heights, IL taking Auto, Diesel/Industrial and the Navistar International program.

Worked some crappy places between then and now, but I work for Schlumberger as a technician for the past year so I guess it worked out in the end.

Thanks for your guidance about the schools guys.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
Hows schlumberger?

They recruit at my campus too. I've heard mixed things...