Sponsored by:

Cured my wandering steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 09:35 AM
dbtx
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Cured my wandering steering

I have an `05 V10 4x4 Limited that we bought with 16k miles on it and really began to be annoyed by the steering within a week of getting it. My first step was to install the Hellwig rear sway bar, and though it made a very noticeable difference to both my wife and I, it wasn't a cure.

I'd been putting off adjusting the steering box until yesterday, and that finally did the trick. Thanks to the instructions I found on this board I spent about 45 minutes adjusting and test driving to make sure I hadn't tightened too much, and after about a turn and a half of the allen screw, the steering is nice and taught with no slop in the wheel. Previously I could jiggle the wheel nearly an inch either way while driving down the highway and not affect the vehicle's path. Now the steering feels directly connected and responsive!

I towed our travel trailer back from storage right after the adjustment, and wow, like no more white knuckles!

BTW, even though I'm 6'2" I had to stand on a step ladder to be able to reach down in from the top to get to the steering box. This Ex is one big truck!

Old 07-10-2006, 11:13 AM
SSGG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could you throw up the link to the instructions page? I am glad to hear that you got the steering tighter, I need to, too.

Wes

Old 07-10-2006, 11:22 AM
KellySue
Freshman User
I would interested in the link. I have a 01 w/139,000 miles and have slack in steering box. I have adjusted it some but would like the specs so I don't go too far.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:33 AM
dbtx
Senior User
Actually, the longwinded instructions involved taking the steering wheel off and measuring torque on the steering shaft. Much more involved than I wanted to mess with. Basically all you need to do is locate the allen head bolt and locknut on top of the steering box (close to the radiator). I believe the locknut was a 5/8" on my box. Mark the allen bolt so you can tell the orientation that you started from and then loosen the locknut. Turn the allen bolt clockwise a quarter turn to tighten the gear mesh. Tighten the locknut back up and take her for a spin. Be careful, because if you overtighten the steering may be so tight as to get extremely stiff on a tight turn, causing you to veer off course. Repeat the tighten and test drive until you're satisfied with the performance. If you overtighten, turn back the allen bolt a quarter turn counter clockwise.

There is a risk of over tightening the box and causing it to wear out prematurely, so I tightened it to the point where the slop was gone, and no further.

It's so simple, I'm embarassed I didn't try it sooner.

KellySue, the "proper" instructions are here: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...7.cfm#17057497

Doug

Last edited by dbtx; 07-10-2006 at 11:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-10-2006, 11:37 AM
KellySue
Freshman User
Thanks for the info. I have adjusted some already and was concerned about going too far but my box may be worn to much anyway. It drives very well with exception of the slack in the box.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:46 AM
SSGG
Senior User
'preciate the link. Where in Tx are ya?

Wes

Old 07-10-2006, 02:06 PM
dbtx
Senior User
Allen, Tx. Which is just north of Plano. Almost Oklahoma.

and you?

Old 07-10-2006, 04:30 PM
SSGG
Senior User
Bridge City, 100 miles SE of Houston +/-. Almost Louisiana, but not. I have some inlaws N of Dallas and my Dad used to work in Perryton and my brother in Texarkana,so ,its been a while but i have been up your way.

Wes

Old 07-10-2006, 04:47 PM
post-man
Junior User
dbtx, did you replace the stock sway bar on your '05 with the Hellwig sway bar?

Old 07-10-2006, 05:37 PM
dbtx
Senior User
post-man - No oem sway bar came on the truck. The rear sway came with the 05 "tow package" which evidently my truck didn't have.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Doug, I know different vehicle will vary, but I'm curious, how many times did you do the quarter turn before you were happy?

Also, where the heck is the steering box located at on the Ex, and where on the box is the allen head bolt?

Stewart

Old 07-11-2006, 07:33 AM
dbtx
Senior User
I ended up with a total of between 5 and 6 quarter turns. It wasn't an incredibly precise process for me, because I couldn't hold the allen head screw in position while tightening the locknut. Maybe if I were 7' tall it would have been easier. I just didn't have the reach to use both hands at a time. It took at least a 1/2 turn before I started to feel a noticeable improvement. Maybe adjusting it from underneath the truck would have been easier, but I wanted to see the allen screw turning, and not be guessing.

To find the steering box, follow the steering shaft out of the firewall toward the radiator. The shaft terminates into the box down low and in front of the front axle (on my 4x4 anyway). The Allen screw and locknut are right on top the box. Depending on lighting, a flashlight might help to see it.

Whatever you do, when you're done adjusting make sure you get that locknut tight. I gave mine a second tightening last night.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:33 PM
PSD05_Heckert
New User
I just want to say thank you very much for posting the Thread. I did the adjustment on my excursion last weekend and wow what a difference it made. I towed the trailer the other day and it made a huge difference in the wandering of the Truck!!! I think I turned the adjustment screw about 4 to 5 times and all the slop in steering is gone!!!.. Thanks!!!!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:02 AM
KellySue
Freshman User
Heckert,

How many miles is on your X? Your turned it 5/6 times ? I was afraid to turn it that many times.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:15 PM
2005X
Senior User
I'm wondering about other's mileage as well when needing this done. I can understand KellySue's needing the adjustment with 140K miles, but dbtx with 15k seems like a factory spec that must not have been met, too early for wear isn't it? If so, will Ford do this under warranty or will they just tell me it's OK or worse yet screw it up? Anyone tried to have Ford make this adjustment via warranty coverage?

I have a 2005 6.0psd - assuming the steering box is the same I'm gonna check and possibly adjust mine since I have some vagueness/wandering but not as bad as some here seem to describe (kind of a subjective thing). I have the factory sway bar and plan to add Roadmaster Active Suspension in the back when I get a travel trailer this Fall, but oddly the wandering seems worse on mine unloaded then when I tow our boat (only 4k lbs or so). The weight on the back end seems to stabilze things on the hiway.

Quick Reply: Cured my wandering steering