Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2012, 09:07 PM
New User

campfire42 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had my F250 front end aligned, and then had to loosen gear box back to where it was, maybe even looser, and truck has been steering like it ought to!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Posting Guru

ATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to behold
ATVPRO11 ATVPRO11
Great post!!! Thanks to the original poster, I see it's helped ALOT of people!!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Junior User

Mikei70 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I did this today and it made a big difference. It took about 3/4 of a full turn. It removed almost all of the play in the steering. Before I could turn the wheel about 30° in either direction before the wheels would respond, but now it is instantaneous.

Thanks to the dbtx for the original post and also to VaSheriff for the picture and Stewart for compiling the thread otherwise I might not have found it at all.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:06 PM
New User

jlwpapa is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATV PRO #11 View Post
Great post!!! Thanks to the original poster, I see it's helped ALOT of people!!
I had posted my problem on another thread, regarding looseness in the steering AFTER removing my old Silent Armor tires, changing to new LTX-MS2's, having it realigned and the front end checked! And after going back to Ford 3 times, the looseness was definitely in the steering wheel play!

Thank you to the one who started this thread as it not only solved my problem, but probably can still help many others! Had it adjusted 1/2 turn and the truck handles better than new, tracks beautifully with no loose play at all! It still amazes me that the old Goodyears somewhat masked the problem and that the new Michelins magnified it, but whatever, the problem is resolved. Thanks to this Forum and this thread, I saved the cost of a new steering box, THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Senior User

ycis has a good reputation on FTE.ycis has a good reputation on FTE.
what a great thread, i was kicking myself trying to figure out why i had so much slop...yet all my tie rod ends looked solid.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Senior User

Metalhead47 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did this last nite, and I'm wondering if I cranked mine down too much. I don't get any binding on tight turns, but the steering overall is much heavier (not sure if I'd say TOO heavy) and doesn't quite want to return to center going down the road. Pretty sure tightening the locknut cranked it down extra, I actually found the whole procedure a significant PITA. Truck was recently aligned but I'm sure my TRE's are due for replacement too.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Junior User

JohnInCanada is starting off with a positive reputation.
OMG! I just did this tweak; saved my butt! I'm so happy with the steering of my Ex. What a difference!!!!! Holy crap!

Mechanics and suspension shops wanted me to spend thousands of dollars on steering dampeners and other stuff.

Instead I spend $5 on a couple of Heineken; my neighbour and I put in 20 minutes of time; and we had another couple of Heineken. Tough night. WAY better than thousands of bucks on "stuff" that I don't need.

THANKS GUYS!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:07 PM
New User

dudem3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've done a lot of work on a lot of cars and trucks over the years and never have I solved such a significant problem with something so easy as this.

I know this thread is 8 years old but I just bought my 2005 Excursion v10 4v4 a few weeks ago to use as a tow vehicle for a 29' travel trailer we just bought. After a white knuckle 2 1/2 hour tow this past weekend I started searching for what was wrong with the constant wandering and came across this thread.

I spent no money and about 10 minutes to adjust the screw with the allen wrench about 1/2 turn and it actually drives in a straight line now, amazing. My son took it for a ride the other day and could not keep it in a straight line. His constant adjustments were making me motion sick and now he can't believe how much better it is.

The full test will be in a month or so when we take the travel trailer out again.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:07 PM