1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wire ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 05:41 AM
don1077
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wire ?

Does anyone know where I can pick up 14 & 16 ga wire with a trace stripe on the insulation. I've visited all the usual suspects but they carry only solid color wire.
Right now I have 14 switched circuits & 5 unswitched. With the limited number of wire colors & all my add ons tracing and identifying circuits has become a problem.

Old 07-09-2006, 06:40 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
don,

did a google search on 'automotive primary wire' and found several sources... this one is only one that mentioned 'traced' wiring. Several offered up to 11 colors. Can't imagine you'd need more than that in any one cable bundle that serves one area of the car (i.e. rear lights, engine compart, front lighting)

You're right about using solid...that is a definate NO in automotive wiring. Use the fine stand stuff with a good vinyl or teflon insulation. If you HAVE to have seperate colors, you might consider paint pens and daub a color every foot or so on your runs... white on red... green on black etc or buy a cheap labeler and letter the wires...

http://www.awcwire.com/ProductTOC.as...e-Primary-Wire

not much help..but hey ? it's early sunday morning

later
John

Old 07-09-2006, 07:07 AM
dmptrkr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can find just about any color you might want at Rhode Island Wiring Service Inc.

While they have an online catalog they don't have online ordering. You have to order by phone.

Craig

Old 07-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Code3
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Don, try this place...

http://www.waytekwire.com/index.htm