Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Posting Guru

westtntrucker has a very good reputation on FTE.westtntrucker has a very good reputation on FTE.westtntrucker has a very good reputation on FTE.
Why should I?????

Have been browsing the posts about bio-diesel. After all the equipment for the truck (if your not going to invest in the manafacturing side), Bio being sold at a higher cost at the pump than #2. It is way more expensive to run bio. Why should I use it? Seems to me there are people out there that are promoting this stuff as the next best thing to sliced bread (and oh by the way, they'll sell you home depot gathered items as a complete system for $$$$$$$$$). And no I don not have the time to do it myself. So i think i'll stick (slave) to the big oil companies. Supply and demand...................mmmmmmmmm.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Senior User

leskwvo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westtntrucker
Have been browsing the posts about bio-diesel. After all the equipment for the truck (if your not going to invest in the manafacturing side), Bio being sold at a higher cost at the pump than #2. It is way more expensive to run bio. Why should I use it? Seems to me there are people out there that are promoting this stuff as the next best thing to sliced bread (and oh by the way, they'll sell you home depot gathered items as a complete system for $$$$$$$$$). And no I don not have the time to do it myself. So i think i'll stick (slave) to the big oil companies. Supply and demand...................mmmmmmmmm.
Ok enjoy, I for one will run WVO and spend my money on good beer.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
Heres a letter from Stanadyne Corp on the subject of biodiesel http://www.biodiesel.org/markets/pre/resolution.pdf

Also you don't have to make biodiesel. Go to www.biodiesel.org look under buying biodiesel, go to retail map, click on your state. Hopefully you have one close. Or if you have bulk storage you can have it delivered as I do to the farm. Costs only 2 cents more than #2.

Last edited by bigredtruckmi; 07-08-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:19 AM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Why should I use bio-diesel instead of #2?

Let me count the ways

1. It lubes better than #2 with an additive and much much better than the soon to come Ultra Low Sulphur diesel.

2. Lower emissions especially CO2 (a green house gas) than #2.

3. Your money is going to support local farmers rather than some terrorist.

4. The exhaust smells better so your neighbors wont complain so much.

5. If you do make it yourself you can save about $2 per gal, at current pump prices
Old 07-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Senior User

willbd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
The last Biodiesel I purchased was in Bend Oregon. $3.11 for B99 and strait diesel was $3.19.
95 F350 SC PSD Auto 4.10 Pro-Tech Aluminum Flatbed with side boxes AutoMeter Transmission and Boost gauges 6637 Filter mod 160K miles B&M 24K Transmission cooler Diamond Eye stainless steel exhaust 2 tank WVO

Bryan Will
Old 07-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Senior User

Wieckster is starting off with a positive reputation.
the bio i bought a couple weeks ago was 9 cents less then #2 what a great deal and it runs like a top on it also I love it
Old 07-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
What % did you get and I bet it smells better.

Last edited by bigredtruckmi; 07-11-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Junior User

FLASH 13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I dont know if i read it right but you do not have to spend a penny on truck modifications to run biodiesel. Also i get up to a $3600 write off by producing an alt fuel for personal use, $1 per gallon up to 3600 gallons. it's the right thing to do!!!!

A-PIL GUAGES / DAHL 150
6637 INTAKE / GARRETT GT38R BB
GIBSON 4" EXT / SYNTHETIC DRIVETRAIN
BOOST CON/ MAG PAN TRANNY / BILLET TORQ CONV
DP 40T 80E 120R / WARN HUBS / POWERSLOTS HAWKS
AIH REPLACEMENT, DUAL PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE
110 GAL BIO TANK/

02 BIOTDI GOLF

Old 07-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Senior User

leskwvo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH 13
I dont know if i read it right but you do not have to spend a penny on truck modifications to run biodiesel. Also i get up to a $3600 write off by producing an alt fuel for personal use, $1 per gallon up to 3600 gallons. it's the right thing to do!!!!
Is that a State or Federal program. That should cover your cost pretty much exactly maybe even make a profit. How accurate do you have to be, how would they know if you made 5 gallons or 3600 gallons.

Do you then also have to pay the road tax. I think most states wave so much per year before you have to pay taxes.

As for modding the vehicle your right, no mod needed to run bio. But if you live in a cold climate you will need to mix it with something or find a way to heat it from what I here when it gets cold.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Senior User

Wieckster is starting off with a positive reputation.
the bio i used was b20 i believe and yes it does smell good
Old 07-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
I dont know if i read it right but you do not have to spend a penny on truck modifications to run biodiesel.
This correct. I run B20 from my fuel supplier (meets ASDM specs)year round in all my farm equipment and on road vehicles by just pumping from my storage tank into everything with no mods.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Senior User

Fraalan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:

wow, great information ThANK YOU!!!!!!

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p378/ch07.html
Old 07-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Junior User

FLASH 13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I guess the irs will figure out that 3600 gallons is a lot for a 1 truck family. but i will push it to the limit. My truck is way over mileage so i can fudge it a bit. Also no road tax because i'm not selling, PERSONAL use only. I figure at my tax bracket my biomaker will be paid off sooner than later.

A-PIL GUAGES / DAHL 150
6637 INTAKE / GARRETT GT38R BB
GIBSON 4" EXT / SYNTHETIC DRIVETRAIN
BOOST CON/ MAG PAN TRANNY / BILLET TORQ CONV
DP 40T 80E 120R / WARN HUBS / POWERSLOTS HAWKS
AIH REPLACEMENT, DUAL PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE
110 GAL BIO TANK/

02 BIOTDI GOLF

Old 07-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Junior User

Bill4042 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why is it so darn expensive?

I used a link here to find biodiesel close to me. The only place I found turned out to be only a couple of blocks from my restaurant. They're selling B100, but now I'm not sure if I have any desire to try it since it's almost 35 cents more per gallon then the #2 right next to my house.

89 F-250 7.3 diesel
00 Excursion 6.8 V10
00 Expedition 5.4 V8 (wife's)
94 Range Rover 4.2 V8 (daughter's)
80 Rover SD1 3.5 V8 (son's)
Old 07-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Postmaster

Think of it this way. When the ultra low sulfur diesel hits the market sometime this summer. You will have to decide on on one of the three choices.
1. Use at least 2% biodiesel for lubrication in your 7.3
2. Use additives to do the same
3. Don't use anything and take the risk of having to replace the IP due to very poor lubrication.

Myself I opted for #1 at the 20% level.

Last edited by bigredtruckmi; 07-13-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:39 PM