Why should I?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 08:51 PM
westtntrucker
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why should I?????

Have been browsing the posts about bio-diesel. After all the equipment for the truck (if your not going to invest in the manafacturing side), Bio being sold at a higher cost at the pump than #2. It is way more expensive to run bio. Why should I use it? Seems to me there are people out there that are promoting this stuff as the next best thing to sliced bread (and oh by the way, they'll sell you home depot gathered items as a complete system for $$$$$$$$$). And no I don not have the time to do it myself. So i think i'll stick (slave) to the big oil companies. Supply and demand...................mmmmmmmmm.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:18 PM
leskwvo
Senior User
Originally Posted by westtntrucker
Have been browsing the posts about bio-diesel. After all the equipment for the truck (if your not going to invest in the manafacturing side), Bio being sold at a higher cost at the pump than #2. It is way more expensive to run bio. Why should I use it? Seems to me there are people out there that are promoting this stuff as the next best thing to sliced bread (and oh by the way, they'll sell you home depot gathered items as a complete system for $$$$$$$$$). And no I don not have the time to do it myself. So i think i'll stick (slave) to the big oil companies. Supply and demand...................mmmmmmmmm.
Ok enjoy, I for one will run WVO and spend my money on good beer.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:53 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Heres a letter from Stanadyne Corp on the subject of biodiesel http://www.biodiesel.org/markets/pre/resolution.pdf

Also you don't have to make biodiesel. Go to www.biodiesel.org look under buying biodiesel, go to retail map, click on your state. Hopefully you have one close. Or if you have bulk storage you can have it delivered as I do to the farm. Costs only 2 cents more than #2.

Last edited by bigredtruckmi; 07-08-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Why should I use bio-diesel instead of #2?

Let me count the ways

1. It lubes better than #2 with an additive and much much better than the soon to come Ultra Low Sulphur diesel.

2. Lower emissions especially CO2 (a green house gas) than #2.

3. Your money is going to support local farmers rather than some terrorist.

4. The exhaust smells better so your neighbors wont complain so much.

5. If you do make it yourself you can save about $2 per gal, at current pump prices

Old 07-09-2006, 01:59 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The last Biodiesel I purchased was in Bend Oregon. $3.11 for B99 and strait diesel was $3.19.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Wieckster
Senior User
the bio i bought a couple weeks ago was 9 cents less then #2 what a great deal and it runs like a top on it also I love it

Old 07-11-2006, 08:17 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
What % did you get and I bet it smells better.

Last edited by bigredtruckmi; 07-11-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:39 AM
FLASH 13
Junior User
I dont know if i read it right but you do not have to spend a penny on truck modifications to run biodiesel. Also i get up to a $3600 write off by producing an alt fuel for personal use, $1 per gallon up to 3600 gallons. it's the right thing to do!!!!

Old 07-12-2006, 05:52 PM
leskwvo
Senior User
Originally Posted by FLASH 13
I dont know if i read it right but you do not have to spend a penny on truck modifications to run biodiesel. Also i get up to a $3600 write off by producing an alt fuel for personal use, $1 per gallon up to 3600 gallons. it's the right thing to do!!!!
Is that a State or Federal program. That should cover your cost pretty much exactly maybe even make a profit. How accurate do you have to be, how would they know if you made 5 gallons or 3600 gallons.

Do you then also have to pay the road tax. I think most states wave so much per year before you have to pay taxes.

As for modding the vehicle your right, no mod needed to run bio. But if you live in a cold climate you will need to mix it with something or find a way to heat it from what I here when it gets cold.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Wieckster
Senior User
the bio i used was b20 i believe and yes it does smell good

Old 07-12-2006, 08:05 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
I dont know if i read it right but you do not have to spend a penny on truck modifications to run biodiesel.
This correct. I run B20 from my fuel supplier (meets ASDM specs)year round in all my farm equipment and on road vehicles by just pumping from my storage tank into everything with no mods.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Fraalan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, great information ThANK YOU!!!!!!

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p378/ch07.html

Old 07-13-2006, 10:38 AM
FLASH 13
Junior User
I guess the irs will figure out that 3600 gallons is a lot for a 1 truck family. but i will push it to the limit. My truck is way over mileage so i can fudge it a bit. Also no road tax because i'm not selling, PERSONAL use only. I figure at my tax bracket my biomaker will be paid off sooner than later.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Bill4042
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why is it so darn expensive?

I used a link here to find biodiesel close to me. The only place I found turned out to be only a couple of blocks from my restaurant. They're selling B100, but now I'm not sure if I have any desire to try it since it's almost 35 cents more per gallon then the #2 right next to my house.

89 F-250 7.3 diesel
00 Excursion 6.8 V10
00 Expedition 5.4 V8 (wife's)
94 Range Rover 4.2 V8 (daughter's)
80 Rover SD1 3.5 V8 (son's)

Old 07-13-2006, 03:39 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Think of it this way. When the ultra low sulfur diesel hits the market sometime this summer. You will have to decide on on one of the three choices.
1. Use at least 2% biodiesel for lubrication in your 7.3
2. Use additives to do the same
3. Don't use anything and take the risk of having to replace the IP due to very poor lubrication.

Myself I opted for #1 at the 20% level.

Last edited by bigredtruckmi; 07-13-2006 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Why should I?????