Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Banks Turbo removal/install

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Dave7.3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Turbo removal/install

I am purchasing a used Banks turbo system for my 1991 Ford F250 XLT 7.3l diesel. The donor truck is a later 1980's F250 6.9l. I am wondering if I can get a diagram or even a list of everything to look for when I'm ripping the turbo out of the donor. I saw most of the parts and where they are but the hard part is gonna be tracking down the electrical parts. The donor truck doesn't have a boost guage or a pyrometer so those are things I will have to buy from the parts store. The wiring is there from what I can tell, just no guages. I did notice a hose that ran from the turbo box to right below the oil filler neck on the donor block, will I need to remove that? There are a few other things that I'm sure I'll run into but I will keep ya posted. Thanks guys.

-David

Old 07-04-2006, 04:03 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
yes, you need that hose and the parts under the fill neck to put it on your engine. the only electrical components on the setup are the wires for the pyrometer, which are in the turbo mount. make sure you get the oil pressure sender relocating adapters. and the airbox mounting brackets. there is also a grommet in the valley pan the turbo oil return goes into that you need. i am sure i am forgetting a few things. if it even remotely looks like it belongs with the turbo, or is near it or any of the parts associated with the turbo, take it. it is better to have a bunch of parts you don't need, than to not take something and then realize you don't have it when doing the install.

Old 07-04-2006, 04:24 AM
Dave7.3
Elder User
hmm...this setup has an electronic blowoff valve from what I can tell. Will grab that and as you said, anything remotely linked. Where is that grommet in the valley pan you mentioned?

I will snap some photos when I go to remove it and give you guys an idea of what I'm dealing with. The turbo and parts linked to it were soaked in oil when I went to take it apart, in a sense I think that saved it from any rusting/buildup that could have occured while it was sitting. Looks good so far but again, I will keep ya updated.

Last edited by Dave7.3; 07-04-2006 at 04:26 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:04 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
if it has a blowoff type of thing, that sounds like a waste gate.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Dave7.3
Elder User
alright, turns out the turbo is non-wastegated. What I was seeing is the oil setup lol.

I spent 5 hours yesterday taking the turbo off the donor truck. After fighting it 2 hours in I had to cut the downpipe and the exhaust itself. Then after messing with it I got all the other parts out....except the turbo itself. Now I went in and expected to be able to reach the manifold behind the block...WRONG, such a tight fit I couldn't fit my hand let alone a wrench in it. After more fussing I now have to take the whole dam cab off the donor truck to reach those bolts. Only 2 little bolts left!
I'm starting to have my doubts, if this thing is this hard to get out, how am I gonna get it in my truck? The turbo is in excellent shape and to get the whole banks system for $250 I can't pass it up.
I already have all the oil parts out and the intake parts off, is there anything I'm missing?

Old 07-06-2006, 01:24 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
when i did mine, i went from underneath, with ALLOT of extentions on the 1/2 inch ratchet, and a wobble socket on the end. like 4 foot worth, and had my helper inside the cab, going through the trans cover to guide it up to the bolts. the mounting bracket is held to the engine with 3 bolts on the back of the passenger side head.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Dave7.3
Elder User
yup, as I found out lol. Took me 5 hours to wrench on it and about 20 minutes to get the cab off and unbolt the mounting bracket. I found it hellarious that all that trouble for those three bolts.

I'm still not sure I got all the turbo parts, but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. I did track down that oil line that ran to the valley pan, instead of ripping it outa the side I just undid the snap and took the line. Was that all to it running to the valley pan? Connected to that same line at the top, next to the turbo was a solenoid lookin thing that I disconnected, the electrical wire that was hooked to it ran down and twisted in with the engine wiring harness around the injectors so I assume that is the transcommand system so I left it. Also there was a large oil line directly under the turbo that ran down into the block, is the hole that line ran into already on my engine?

btw- The 6.9l that the turbo was on is going to the scrapper, anyone need any parts before it goes?

Old 07-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Royson12
Posting Guru
I gotta install manual in pdf for the sidewinder with waste gate acuater if you need it. You will have to tell me how to get it to you or on the forum, I'm new at this forum stuff. It is an actual banks install book i happened across on the internet.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Royson12,
Welcome to FTE and the IDI diesel forum.

Dave7.3,
The turbo oil supply should come out of the oil pressure sending unit location on your engine. The big solenoid looking thing on the turbo should have been the oil pressure sending unit that is relacated when you connect the turbo oil feed line.
I am not sure about the Banks unit, but ATS uses a different grommet in the valley pan than Ford uses for the CDR. The ATS grommet has a larger hole in the center. You may need to get the grommet out of the valley pan on the turbo equiped engine.

Old 07-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Dave7.3
Elder User
oh, thats what that is? Thats my CDR valve opening? lol, I'm starting to forget things already. Dave S, there was an electrical wire hooked to that solenoid in the oil sending unit line. When the cab was taken off to reach the turbo bolts, the wire was ripped in half. Where does this wire go?