1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Easy question - 48-52 Hood Lacing

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 09:32 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Easy question - 48-52 Hood Lacing

Not sure if this is 48-52 or just 51/52?

I bought some hood lacing (goes across the top of the cowl, keeps the engine compartment fumes out of the fresh air inlet and keeps the hood from rubbing on the cowl). My truck had absolutely none on it when I got it, so I don't know how far down the sides of the cowl it is supposed to go. The manual of course doesn't ever show it. The new piece I got appears to be meant to trimmed to fit.

Does it just go on the horizontal part of the cowl, or does it wrap down a ways? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-02-2006, 11:52 PM
microb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll go check my 56 and see how it is set up. I know I have that seal and fresh air duct. I'll let you know.

Mike

Old 07-03-2006, 12:01 AM
microb
Senior User
Ok, on mine there is a horizontal ridge from one side of the hood to the other that drops down a couple inches on each side at the end. The seal only covers the horizontal portion from side to side. I don't know if this will help or if it the same on your truck.

Mike

Old 07-03-2006, 02:01 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There are two different types of lacings available, cloth and rubber. No matter what you use, the top of your cowl should have holes where the lacing attaches. You will need mounting pins for the lacing, unless they come with the kit. I don't know if they're available separately. On my '52 Panel, the lacing doesn't go much further than an 1" or so below the last hole on each side.

Ilya

Old 07-03-2006, 05:48 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have a question on the 48 cowl lacing and this seems to be as good place as any to ask. When I opened the package I noticed that I had one for a 47 back not a 48. Does anyone know if they are the same or not? I've had this piece too long to exchange it so I'd like to make it work if possible. It seems to be long enough...

Vern

Last edited by GreatNorthWoods; 07-03-2006 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:01 AM
f1fordguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
There are two different types of lacings available, cloth and rubber. No matter what you use, the top of your cowl should have holes where the lacing attaches. You will need mounting pins for the lacing, unless they come with the kit. I don't know if they're available separately. On my '52 Panel, the lacing doesn't go much further than an 1" or so below the last hole on each side.

Ilya
Dead on. The lacing is not on mine yet and I have BOTH (?) a rubber and cloth lacing new in the package. Neither came with the pins though. I thnk I am going to explore just using seal adhesive and just glueing the rubber seal on over the pin holes and smoking off the pins.

I don't know if the 47 is the same but I would put $10 on it that it is.

Tim

Old 07-03-2006, 09:48 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
The "mounting pins" that came with my cloth-style webbing are just nails, with a special twisted fluting (same as stock). I am pretty sure a good old fashioned hardware store will have them in the woodworking section. I think they are called upholstery tacks. They are a bear to get out after 50+ yrs without really damaging the metal. I ended up cutting them off flush with a Dremel on the inside. they popped right out then.

I got enough webbing to go about as far down the sides as Ilya says. I was going to use a strip of weatherstrip adhesive all along it, but I doubt it will stick to cloth.

Thanks for checking, Mike but I think yours is different.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by ALBUQ F-1; 07-03-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:04 AM
f1fordguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I was going to use a strip of weatherstrip adhesive all along it, but I doubt it will stick to cloth.
Probably not. I plan on using my rubber lacing. I'm not very impressed with the cloth.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:31 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by f1fordguy
Probably not. I plan on using my rubber lacing. I'm not very impressed with the cloth.
I have both, the cloth on my '52 Panel and a rubber one waiting to go onto the '51 Panel. The cloth is originally what these trucks came with from the factory. With the boom of hot-rodding and modifiers, the rubber lacing came about.

It depends on your application. Since my '52 is stock, the cloth lacing was used. Since my '51 will be modified, I plan to use the rubber lacing.

I would agree that a good hardware store would have the necessary tacks for the job. If not, then an upholstery supply vendor would have them.

Ilya

Old 07-03-2006, 10:37 AM
f1fordguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Since my '52 is stock, the cloth lacing was used. Since my '51 will be modified, I plan to use the rubber lacing.

Ilya
Exactly. Also don't forget that the cloth will cause chaffeing on the underside of the hood from rubbing.

Kinda like my underside working on this truck in 98 degree weather!

Old 07-03-2006, 12:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Where do you get the rubber lacing? I've been fighting the cloth for a couple hours, the nails don't want to go thru it (the ones provided are somewhat oversize, so you can use the same holes I guess). If my hood were off, and I weren't worried about paint, I'd smack it with a tack hammer. Glueing on rubber looks mighty good right now.

Looking at it further, there is a groove right at the back of the section of the cowl that matches the contours of the hood. Does the lacing's rear "hump" go into that, or is that to clear the edge of the hood? It looks to me like the lacing should bear on the inside of the hood, not the edge.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:59 PM
f1fordguy
Senior User
Where do you get the rubber lacing? I've been fighting the cloth for a couple hours, the nails don't want to go thru it (the ones provided are somewhat oversize, so you can use the same holes I guess). If my hood were off, and I weren't worried about paint, I'd smack it with a tack hammer. Glueing on rubber looks mighty good right now.

Looking at it further, there is a groove right at the back of the section of the cowl that matches the contours of the hood. Does the lacing's rear "hump" go into that, or is that to clear the edge of the hood? It looks to me like the lacing should bear on the inside of the hood, not the edge.
Carpenter has it--part# B7c-16740, rubber with tacks.

And Vern, it's listed as application 42-56, so you should be good to go with yours.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:19 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
It looks to me like the lacing should bear on the inside of the hood, not the edge.
From my memory (I can't look at the truck right now), the lacing does go on the inside of the hood and not the edge.

If you're still having problems with it, I could try to take a picture of the lacing tonight.

Oh, and I haven't had any chaffing problems yet.

Ilya

Old 07-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Scott123
Elder User
I used a rubber lacing I bought I think from Classic Auto in OK City. It is rubber with an adhesive back, just peel off the white protective tape and stick it on. I filled in my nail holes and smoothed it all over and put this stuff on. It is very nice, soft black foam rubber and except for the edge where I tried to pull it up and reposition it, it sticks very well.

Scott

Old 07-03-2006, 02:18 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by f1fordguy
Carpenter has it--part# B7c-16740, rubber with tacks.

Vern, it's listed as application 42-56, so you should be good to go with yours.
Thanks for the info. The rubber lacing sounds like it might be a better way to go. If I run into any problems installing mine I'll look into that instead...

Vern

Quick Reply: Easy question - 48-52 Hood Lacing