N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Your weekend goals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 09:35 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your weekend goals?

The wife is heading up to Chico area tomorrow for a funeral, so I have the kids all to myself!!

In the middle of runs to Taco Bell, and the Pizza Joint (got to make'em lunch and dinner ya know) I have to split another case on a tractor to grab some stuff to finish mine, make a gasket and bolt it all back together. Hopefully I'll at least get it running as a loader this weekend to pull the cab off my '48 F1 so I can grab some parts from it.

Best thing about getting this "project" out of the way, it clears room in the shop to finally, I mean finally, after having the shop up for 8 months now, I'll have the room to roll the '36 in and get started on it.

Dale's (neverenufhp) daughters BF is busy getting after some long awaited chores for me, I figure he'll be done with the outside stuff about the time I need to get started in the shop. Once I clear it all up and have the '36 in, we'll be checking out his tackwelding ability for my pumphouse frame work.

Anyway, I'm just wishing myself luck that when I open up this other drivetrain tomorrow, it's in good shape.

Hey, anyone want to guess what 1 gear, 1 syncro pack, 4 needle roller bearings and two ball bearings, and a few other snaprings and BS cost through the Case Dealer?
. 1195.xx Cha-Ching

Hope the wife doesn't read FTE.....

Old 07-01-2006, 10:13 AM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
He should be pretty good at welding, he took a couple classes at MJC. He really seems to enjoy it. I haven't seen any actual welds though, I dont have any metal to practice on & all I got is an old Lincoln stick jobby. Why didnt you mention the classics when I was there, I had a 48 F1 project about 10 yrs ago that I was forced to get rid of before it got started . It even had the date stamped in yellow on the firewall: "Mar. 4 1948". One of those trivial things you never forget. Is the tractor a diesel?

Old 07-01-2006, 01:05 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Mike, there was a small Ford loader tractor on Ebay I sure thought about - it was located near you. But it had a small 4 cyl diesel engine that needed work, and I remembered how expensive parts can get for those sort of engines. It would have been fun to have around the place - but not useful enough to justify the work or expense.

I have about worked through the honey-do list, and have the place back to looking like a home instead of a junk yard. A stove hood, a new flower bed, two trailer loads of tree trimmings to the dump, some new red bark spread in the front - - - and I am about ready to get back to the important things in life. Liz is talking to me again, for now!

One big expensive mistake - I replaced the light fixtures in the kitchen with the recessed spot lights she had bought 2 years ago and was waiting for me to install. While patching the sheetrock on the ceiling I dropped a hammer from the top of a step ladder onto the ceramic tile floor, causing a huge chip out of the center of one of the tiles.

You guessed it - now she wants a new floor! Sometimes you just can't win - -

btw, I now have some frame scraps if you want to redo the welding up vs welding down test. I don't think we need to - I am satisfied but there were some questions on the forum. What do you think? It would give me an excuse to drop by and look over your junk again!

Old 07-01-2006, 04:08 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Dale,

Yes, tractor is a deisel, older Case CK, I have the case split right now, just got done rebuilding the shuttle tranny, but the front bearing (which was it's demise) ate up the retainer plate, so I need to get the one from the other case I have...couldn't do it today though, Dad got "frisky" and I spent the morning helping him around his place.

Also relized I don't have an empty drum to dump all my oil in, and all my pans are full...I'll have to scrounge the area tomorrow for another drum, when the wife get back so I can dump what I have, then drain the other setup to get the retainer out.

Best laid plans.....

Clint, no issue to try it again, but time and shop space is pretty limited for a bit till I get this beast out, I didn't see the loader on Ebay, kinda quick looking once I got mine, hate to find out how much I could have saved by waiting

Also, take a page frm my College days...you'd be suprised at what a throw rug can cover up

Old 07-01-2006, 04:44 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Hey Mike I got a nice clean empty 30 gallon plastic drum, If you want it you can have it..
Let me know I can run it out (if I remember you don't live that far away..)

Jon

Old 07-01-2006, 06:13 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Absolutley JD, that would be the ticket!!, send me your number, no issue for me to go your way either.

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2006, 07:00 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Hey Dale, should have read all of your post.

I bought the '48 just for the bed, couldn't sell it whole, so sold and been selling parts off if it now and then.

All my "oldies" are in various states of repair/disrepair.

My '59 Chevy PU I used as a Daily Driver until a few years ago, fresh front tires and it's a solid runner again.

My '57 Chevy PU (Dad bought it new) sports a LS5 454 from a '70 Vette/TH 400 and 3.o8's, was my HS cruizer/racer, but has been on jackstands since the early '80's, I've some plans for it, but are on hold until I work through the '36 Ford PU, which BTW, my Dad used to drive in the late '50's/early'60's. Story behind this one is kinda long, but in a nutshell my Dad gave it and another 35/36 to the neighbor back in the early 70's for room and board in Sanleandro while Dad worked in the shipyards.

When I was 15 or 16, the neighbor gave it back to me, we put in in my Dad's shop and it's been there ever since....30+ years just sitting, half apart, waiting for time and money to come to it's rescue.

A few years ago, I bought a '42 Ford PU, just because it still had the original drivetrain, it's 1/2 apart as well, but not much needed to make it a runner...again, here is where time is the badguy

Jake is working hardl,he's cleaning are not for the faint of heart. I had one of two choices, cut down two sets of 100+ foot of piperail fence and clean them with a tractor, then put the fence back up, or dig the stalls out. I didn't want to do either so Jake is getting it done.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:21 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want to haul one of those projects over here, I can tinker with em. I got time & no extra $. My labor is pretty cheap, pizza or dessert. That pretty much goes for anyone on here that's in or close to Modesto.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:28 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Better watch what you say...I am lookin for someone to help me raise the bed of my truck to pull some old fuel tanks out...

Jon

Old 07-02-2006, 10:36 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Oh Mike.
I made a mistake on those drums they are 15 gallon and I drilled a drain hole in one of them...There still yours if you want them..

Jon

Old 07-02-2006, 10:47 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jd_sylvia
...I am lookin for someone to help me raise the bed of my truck to pull some old fuel tanks out...

Jon
If yoiu want, I will help. Do you have a engine lift or tree or something we can hook a chainfall to? If so, dead easy. If not, I have a wagon jack we can use.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:48 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Spent the day installing elctric bucket seats in my 65 F100. They came out great and they feel alot better than 40 year old springs..The only down fall is that they set just a bit taller so the steering wheels sets a little closer to my lap. Looks like I better not gain weight.

I got a set of totaly electric buckets from a Eagle Premere at Pic-N-Pull for $64 for both.They were in perfect condition and all the electric motors work on both seats.

Jon

Old 07-02-2006, 11:11 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Thats my bigest problem ***** I don't have anything to lift the bed. I have some 2" pipe I was going to sart to build some kind of a lift.. Or My cousin has a hay barn I may be using I think he has a tractor with a bucket loader also so I may go one of those routes.

Jon

Old 07-03-2006, 03:46 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
The bed is not that heavy - we could place sawhorses on both sides of the truck, lift one end of the box by hand or even with a jack, and slide 2X4s under it - supporting it on the sawhorses. Then lift the other end of the box and do the same thing.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:54 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Boy, sounds like you guys had all the fun over the weekend...I just worked. Oh wait, it's a four-day weekend so it's technically not over for another day! Whoopee!

I spent the past two weeks trying to get all the stuff together to fix our Case 580B after it lunched a wrist pin bushing, Seemed like a good time to replace the cracked block, shelled out 300 bucks for a used one...that turned out to be cracked as well. Sorry, no refunds, so I'm out 300 bucks. It was supposed to be an early 207 block, turns out it's an early 188 so it wasn't even what it was supposed to be. Anyone need a boat anchor?

I wound up pinning the old block, took be the better part of three days and then installed the new piston/sleeve kit. Mike, I know what you're saying about those spendy Case parts...$$$!!!

So, for the weekend part: Saturday was spent on reassembly and reinstallation, after a bit more cleaning of componants it'll finish going back together Wednesday. In the meantime, I got yesterday, today and tomorrow (The 4th!) off. I got caught up a bit on The Beast yesterday and today, only a few minor things to still work out and then it's out of my hair (and out of my way!)

This was taken today:

Tomorrow is to be dedicated to working on the Ranger, and maybe a bit on my bike. I may even take the opportunity to relax a bit...naw, probably not gonna happen!