New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

Flooding

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gary - post the pictures in your gallery is the easiest way to do it. Just go to your User CP and under the Control Panel you will see a link to Edit Gallery. Follow the link and Create Album. Let me know if you have any questions.

Barr - glad to hear that you and Gary hooked up. Good luck with the truck. I hope you are able to get it going with minimum fuss. I thought a Thing supersoaker would be interesting to see, but a F-350 supersoaker would be the trick!!!

Old 07-15-2006, 01:09 PM
bterry
Elder User
Quick update:
I got it fired up. Still have lots to do on it before it's good to go. I hooked an old small engine gas tank with an electric fuel pump. Turned the key and...vrooom! Tells me the engine will be good for at least another 2-3 miles.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Hey Barr. Great to hear that. Hopefully things will all work out on the truck. Keep us posted. How is everything else? Are you pretty much set with everythig other than the truck at this point?

Old 07-16-2006, 06:35 PM
bterry
Elder User
Thanks Darren, everything else is good - we were very fortunate. We had hoped to be racing by now, but the flood set us back with time and money big time. The time thing isn't really anything anybody can help with either - the engine is at the motor builder who got flooded some, the speed shop with our axels got flooded, but is now open again. Money is a problem 'cause I've got to come up with a newer truck now (my flooded one will never be reliable enough to count on again). Besides, I wanted to replace the truck last year anyway, just didn't get enough snow to do it.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Barr - sorry to hear about your racing schedule getting all messed up. I sort of know how you feel as my wheeling for this year has been limited due to my work schedule and now a lack of having a wheeling vehicle. Hope you get that all sorted out. Are your motor and axles alright? Just the shops got flooded, but your parts are fine?

So will you be able to get your truck running and get some money out if it? What will you be looking for to replace it?

Old 07-17-2006, 04:49 AM
bterry
Elder User
Yeah the motor was getting rebuilt anyway, so even if it didn't wet it was gonna get tore down. The axels were just the shafts - so no harm done there either. I'll probably part the truck out. I might be wrong, but I think I'll get more and others will benefit more out of it too. I'd probably take $1000 - $1500 complete - but even more from parts. We'll see. I need to replace it (check my sig) before I commit to anything.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:41 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Glad to hear nothing major with your motor and axles. What were you having done to them? What engine was it and what kind of rebuild?

As to your truck good luck selling it and let us know what you are looking to replace it with so we can all keep an eye out for you.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:51 PM
bterry
Elder User
We run disc brakes all around, something the GM Metric chassis never had. In order to run them you need to turn the axel shaft hubs down to fit inside the rotor. We also have to run 1/2" studs, so the axel shafts need to be bored to accept them. I bent an original one and need it replaced. The second one at the shop is a spare.

The motor is a Chevy 350 (0.030 over) and gets new rings, bearings each year, valves and valve springs every two years. This year we are allowed to run a solid cam and true roller rockers, so that work will also be done. One head cracked so the replacement will get some magic (you never know who may read this) done to it. We are also putting on a new intake manifold.

As for the replacement truck, I'm looking for a 4x4 mason dump (as indicated in my signature).

Last edited by bterry; 07-17-2006 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
When things settle down for you I would like to come down and see your shop and vehicles. Good luck with everything. Hope life has returned to somewhat normal in Conklin for you.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:50 PM
bterry
Elder User
Your welcome to come down anytime! A day or two notice is recommended but not necessary. I've been forutnate with the luck, mostly good in a sea of evil - I can't complain.

BTW - I just bought another vehicle (what's that 13? - more junk to the collection!@#$%^). It a '92 Dump, I should be getting it shipped Friday or next Tuesday. I create another gallery with the pics the dealer sent.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Barr the new truck looks great!! Nice find.

Hey, I was wondering if you would be up to hosting a G2G? By hosting all I am asking is you finding a location that we could meet and you give us a tour of your "collection" of vehicles!!! I figure everyone could bring their own food and beverages (trying to keep it as simple as possible for everyone). If you have a grill that would be a plus or possibly someone could bring their's. Let me know if you are up to it and we can post up the info in the G2G thread that I brought back up.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:59 PM
bterry
Elder User
I'll have one. I'll even supply a bunch of burgers or something (maybe speidies for those who've never had them). Maybe just bring some sides and beverages. My grill is hooked right up to the natural gas at the house, but getting one to take somewhere is not a problem. If a bunch show up - we'll do that, otherwise we can meet right here at my house. I'll let the wife know later.

The only problem with meeting at the house is that there's not much to do. Sorry guys, no building a mud pit in the front lawn. My garage is out back but it gets boring with out a project (maybe we can squish some stuff). If you all were to give up some ideas on what you'd like to do, we can go from there.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:43 AM
cabriolet1ton
New User
I posted in one area and it ended up in another sheesh

Last edited by cabriolet1ton; 07-22-2006 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:14 AM
cabriolet1ton
New User
I'm looking for some off road areas so bring a chain just in case, after the flood we have plenty of mud to get stuck in. My trucks not the prettiest but it's a FORD 4x4 and I have no problems with gettin it muddy or stuck. I'll bring the Deep Woods OFF and some road kill to grill, a case of suds to wash down the dust. I heard theres a limited use road up in Smithvilleflatts I'm investigating. I know theres one up at Marsh pond I'll see if its passable in a few days. Still have a couple days worth of volunteer work and then I'm available again.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
cabriolet1ton - There are a couple of us that wheel so a wheeling trip would not be a bad thing. So by all means let us know what you find out. I don't wheel my SD as it is setup for plowing and too much of a pain in the rear to take the plow frame off and on. I wheel my Range Rover however the wife has taken it over and doesn't want me to wheel it anymore, but I might be able to sneak it out for an outing here and there.

As a side note I would not recommend a chain for vehicle recovery. Too dangerous and people have died doing so. Use proper recovery gear and recover points, but still respect the energy stored up in the vehicles when doing any kind of recovery.