Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2000, 01:26 AM
New User

petel is starting off with a positive reputation.
'70 C6 trans output shaft and seal

I need some educating. Have a '70 C6, with 2WD extension housing. It leaks some ATF out the rear seal. If I grab the u joint yoke at the trans output, I can noticably move it up and down at the trans. Is this just normal slip joint spline tolerance? If I got this right, the trans output shaft has external splines, the u joint yoke has internal splines, the rear seal seals against the outside of the u joint yoke. There is mention of a bushing, does that bushing support the output end of the trans output shaft? Is there any internal seal on the trans output shaft that keeps ATF from washing the grease off of the slip spline area?
If the play is not normal, is the bushing most likely to blame?
Whats the best way to replace the bushing if it needs it? I don't have the special sleeve to grab the bushing and pull it out the back. Would it be better to pull off the extension housing to get a good look at the bushing? With the extension housing off, could I carefully pound out the bushing to replace it if needed?
Whadd'ya think?
Thanks
Old 11-14-2000, 01:33 PM
Postmaster

beartracks is starting off with a positive reputation.

As I recall it's not too hard to get the output housing off, four or five bolts and the speedo gear. Take the housing to a tranny shop to press in a new bushing and seal. Shouldn't cost a lot. There should be some play but not a lot. When mine was worn out it didn't really leak but would sometimes bind on staring out or stopping and make a clunk.

1977 Ford F-100
280,000 miles
Stock on the outside
modified/rebuilt everything

1977 F-100 Ranger XLT,400,C6,GV
Mod's Listed in Gallery

Click Here To Help Support FTE
Old 11-14-2000, 08:21 PM
Postmaster

William is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Little drips and drops are not a problem, hell these are Ford trucks. Try a can of seal conditioner first. If it continues leaking and you do not have the tool to remove and reinstall the bushing, better have experts do that part.
William in Atlanta
Old 11-14-2000, 11:47 PM
Postmaster

beartracks is starting off with a positive reputation.

I'd think twice about the seal additives. No offence but I hear they can work too good and cause too much swelling.
Consider just replacing the seal. Remove drive shaft, pry out the old one and use a socket to tap in the new one.

1977 Ford F-100
280,000 miles
Stock on the outside
modified/rebuilt everything

1977 F-100 Ranger XLT,400,C6,GV
Mod's Listed in Gallery

Click Here To Help Support FTE
Old 11-15-2000, 07:45 PM
Senior User

TomC is starting off with a positive reputation.

Most trucks I have dealt with use a bolt-on yoke and a ball bearing on the inside of the housing. I can't remember if there is also a bushing as a car transmission has. Perhaps check and see if the retaining bolt for the yoke is loose or has been left out. If the bolt is loose or missing you will have a leak from that point.

Tom C.
Old 11-15-2000, 08:35 PM
Junior User

stingray is starting off with a positive reputation.

The best conditioner money can buy is a pint of brake fluid. No kidding, brake fluid is just a high grade of hydraulic fluid. It has an agent that conditions seals and prolongs their life. It also has an anti-oxident to help keep any moisture from causing oxidation.

However I would recommend changing the bushing and seal if they are ever in question.
Old 11-15-2000, 08:42 PM
Postmaster

William is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Old 11-15-2000, 08:42 PM