1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

On-board Air and train horns installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 11:13 PM
closetredneck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking On-board Air and train horns installed

Got my onboard air setup and train horns installed this weekend. It was a lot more time consuming than I thought, but everything is working and I feel it went well. This is a really fun mod to do and everyone gets a kick out of the horns. I recommend it to anyone who wants to have a little fun with their truck. It's also very useful for me - we tractor pull and having air to inflate tires or run air ratchets will really help out.

I got a package off eBay then added some stuff to it like a dash gauge and switch, and a air-source relocation kit for running a quick-connect to the back of the truck. The horns aren't "real" train horns like Nathans or something, but they are LOUD and sound like a freight train. I think they are Omega research 501's. They are big! So big that my planned original mounting location would have put them too low to the ground, so I had to mount them under the cab behind the transfer case. I fabricated some mounts for the Viair 2.5 gal tank and 450C pressor and mounted them to the passenger side frame rail. I used existing holes, but drilled them out a little to 3/8" so I could use heavier bolts.

I'll post some pics of the install and some vid clips if I can. For now though, I'd like to thank everyone who answered my questions about the electrical part and also a BIG thanks to HeatStroked for sending me pics and info on his setup.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:19 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
how do you like the horns i was looking at thoose too. thats something ive been wanting to do for a long time want a set of nathans but the $$$

Old 06-29-2006, 09:10 AM
closetredneck
Freshman User
Yeah, the Nathans are expensive! These horns sound good, and they are nice and loud. Like I said, my only complaint is the physical size. I couldn't mount them under the cab along the frame like I wanted to. I think they are the same horns as the 3 chime chrome horns from hornblasters. You can look at them <url="http: //www.hornblasters.com/products/details.php?item="CHR3&quot;">here</url="http:>.

Last edited by closetredneck; 06-29-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:09 PM
boathauler
New User
I have been wanting to do the same thing, could you please do a complete write up on this. Just need more info mainly on the compressor.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2006, 07:47 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
hornblasters were the other ones i was looking at. i love thoose videos on there site laugh so hard my stomach hurts!!