1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Patch panel woes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 04:15 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Patch panel woes!

Was reading the thread about doors not fitting correctly at bottom. Here's my dilema If I cut out enuff material to make the cowl panel fit, the door profile will be off by a 1/4". Guess I'll have to make the lower part of the cowl fit by cutting the flange loose and adding material to keep it even with the door.
Started on the rear corners today, won't even mention how much I will have to modify the patch panels to make them work.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff -

I just hate that picture. That area is the very next thing I have to do and I haven't fitted my panel up to the cab yet.

Not looking forward to it....

Old 06-28-2006, 06:57 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I replaced both cowl sides two years ago. The panels required alot of work to get them to fit well. I bought reproduction steel fenders that are so lousy, that I'm cutting out portions of the bent up, rusty original fenders just to repair the new ones....

Old 06-28-2006, 11:02 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm just about finished with the right outer cab corner on my 55. I posted a topic a few weeks ago about how poorly the patch panel from MidFifty fit.

The only thing you can do is cut and weld. I had to slice the patch near the door edge all the way down.. then on the piece WITH the door edge, I had to slice it as well to move the door jam edge IN about 3/16 to line up with the door when closed..

I still have to fix/bend/shape the bottom edge of the patch to line up with the door post piece..

but its only the second time working on this corner, SO, if I get it this time, I'll be happy.. looks good so far.. prior failure helped a lot!..

Sam

Old 06-30-2006, 03:30 AM
56Jeff
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's my 56cents worth....

I've gotten patch pannels from 2 diffrent places. Both were not fitting very well. The last patch panned I did was the bottom of the interior Door . This time I Cut the pannel in half, got it to fit the outside edges, and patched the Middle. this may not be the right way, But it fit and I have to live with it. However.... After I did it, I smiled really big.

56Jeff

Old 06-30-2006, 05:54 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless the patch panels were made from the original dies they most likely will have some fitment issues.
Start with the hardest bends/turns/twists to make yourself and work your way out.
Airsaw, ballpeen hammer and a 4x4 post set in a bucket with quickcret, not only will you get a panel that works, you'll relieve a lot of stress.