Shocks

Old 06-28-2006, 05:06 AM
tula771
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocks

Anyone know why over the years Ford has moved the rear shocks all over the place? When I got my 06 I thought the rear shocks looked plain dumb. They are on far outside and the attachment point to the truck is at an angle towards the front of the truck. Oh well, it works anyway.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:48 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Taken from Fo Mo Co literature:

"The front shock absorbers are mounted inside the springs, allowing four-wheel-drive models to use coil springs instead of the traditional torsion bars, permitting more precise suspension tuning and commonality across the lineup. The design also moves the shock absorber closer to the wheel for approximately 25-percent greater mechanical advantage, which allows for more precise shock tuning.

The Hotchkiss-design rear suspension has been optimized with rear shock absorbers placed outboard of the frame rails - a segment exclusive - for improved control of body lean and a smoother ride. The shock position also provides better control of axle "skipping" and "skating" that can happen on washboard-type surfaces. Rear leaf springs are now 3 inches wide (20 percent bigger than the 2002 F-150 and the same width as on the F-Series Super Duty lineup) to help reduce sway during cornering and considerably improve towing stability."

Old 07-22-2006, 05:11 PM
achtungeveryone
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the rear shocks on my 01 are going to be a trick to get off. The fronts weren't bad. I'm not impressed with the design. An eye bolt on both ends would be easier than the odd assortment of metric and standard fasteners that are on the rear shocks. The front shocks used standard size fasteners only. If they have redesigned the rear set-up than hopefully it's an improvement...

Achtung

Old 07-23-2006, 05:03 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Makes me like my Ranger. Same sized bolts all around. I had to hack my exhaust up to get one of the rear shocks to fit (my own fault and I like it better now), and the wheel well got in the way on one of the front ones (just pushed a bit and it worked fine), pretty easy job altogether.

I think it's stupid to put the shocks in the springs, good way to get money from those people who don't want to change them themselves. Just two cents from a smaller truck driver.

RP
Zach

Search this Thread