Propane Conversion done long ago

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:53 PM
rbivona
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propane Conversion done long ago

I'm trying to get some info on this dual fuel gasoline/propane conversion that was done to my 69 F-250 by a PO. Anyone ever seen one of these or know where i can get any info on how to maintain this beast. Here are a few pictures:

I don't really know if it works, though I'd like it to. I put about 10gal of propane in one of the two, yes two, 30gal propane bottles that are in the truck. One is in the bed, one under it. Yes, this is an 8ft bed.

ray

Old 06-23-2006, 09:04 AM
fraso
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might also want to post this question on a propane forum. BTW, the photos aren't appearing in your message.

If you are planning to use lift truck style DOT tanks in your road-going vehicle, DON'T! They are illegal and unsafe for this purpose. Use properly-anchored ASME motorfuel tanks in any on-the-road application.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:22 AM
fraso
Senior User
There must have been an earlier server problem because the photos appear now.

It looks like someone has fabricated an adapter to mount a pair of Impco Model 300 dual fuel mixers. My guess is that tuning the pair of mixers might be a bit tricky. If this work was done DIY by a PO, it would be a good idea to have it inspected by a licensed LPG installer to make sure that it meets the NPFA 58 LPG installation code.

It also looks as if you have at least one ASME propane fuel tank for your vehicle. There should be a hydrostatic Tee downstream of the tanks to control the flow of fuel from each tank. Since the installation is likely over 10 years old, the tanks have probably expired their certification. It wouldn't hurt to have the tanks recertified to bring them back into spec. You might want to replace the o-rings in the filler valve to prevent any leakage problems during filling.

Since you were asking about how this system works, it sounds like you haven't yet run it in propane-mode. It looks like there are a pair of control cables leading to a propane control panel on the dashboard. They should both be pulled out for gasoline operation because this lifts the gas valves out of the way. There should also be a switch on the dashboard near the cables which either opens the gasoline valve and closes the propane valve or vice versa.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:40 PM
rbivona
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Fraso. There are 2 controls that push in for propane and out for gasoline. There's also a switch and a primer button. Is the primer only used when starting the truck on propane or is it used anytime you need to get the propane flow started? I tried to switch it over a week or so ago and it started to sputter and sounded like it was about to stall. Any ideas of where I can look for an LPG installer? Would I just talk to a forklift repair guy?

Thanks.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:23 PM
fraso
Senior User
I don't have a lot of experience with that type of dual fuel system but I believe that the primer button is only an aid during starting. I also think it's natural for the system to sputter a bit when you switch back and forth because the propane has to start flowing from through the propane fuel lockoff as the gasoline is shut off to the gasoline carburetor. Because the hoses are so long from the converter to the mixers, the primer button can help to get the fuel to the mixers a bit quicker during a cold start.

I am not aware of any installers in Oregon but that doesn't mean that there aren't any. I checked superpages.com for propane conversion shops in Portland and didn't see any. You could try the lift-truck shops. Failing that, I think there are a few service centers in Seattle: http://cars.rasoenterprises.com/Prop...Facilities.htm

Frank