1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought this might interest everyone. A good read.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:24 AM
FloridaF250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought this might interest everyone. A good read.

I get this "lube tech" at work and this was this months lead article. I'm sure that this subject has come up before. What I would like to find out is that now on Diesel pumps there is a warning label that says not to use in model year 2007 and later highway diesel engines cause it might cause engine problems. Will stations be required than to have to different pumps? Any info or reading would be appreciated.

If you'd like to subscribe to this emailed newsletter the address is below.

New Diesel Fuels, New Challenges By Brett Winberg
Production of ultra low sulphur diesel (ULSD) has been in effect since the 1st part of May 2006 in parts of the United States . Refiners have many plans to produce ULSD, which vary in complexity from plant to plant. Using their tailored methods, each refinery will provide a portion of the total ULSD demand within the U.S. markets.

However, some refiners are still concerned with their ability to deliver the product because of the vast majority of issues involved in producing this product. These concerns range from the method of production to the pipeline transportation system. Other countries have initiated ULSD production and have experienced startup, operational and production problems in the past.

Clean fuels production is a worldwide initiative with some regions ahead of the USA in implementation, and still others are behind U.S. initiatives. The worldwide refining community recognizes the key role clean fuels play in the improvement of the environment. The refining industry has successfully faced many such challenges by delivering continually cleaner, low cost transportation fuels to the consuming public.

The “clean fuels” title is used to cover a wide range of fuel characterizations for different initiatives: reduce sulphur levels, add oxygenates, reduce aromatics, increase octane or cetane and meet additive package requirements. Selected from this wide-ranging criterion are the specific issues and factors surrounding the refinery requirements to produce 100% highway ULSD according to USA regulations. Several options exist for the refiner to produce ULSD. Selecting the best option involves carefully weighing many important issues:
  • Can an existing hydrotreater be revamped to make ULSD or should a completely new unit be built?
  • Which option gives the best flexibility for meeting current and future ULSD quality specifications other than sulphur?
  • Which option gives the most flexibility for upgrading heavier and/or cracked feedstock’s to ULSD?
  • How to ensure the ULSD product still meets specifications when it is delivered to the consumer?
The refiner’s goal is to produce an ULSD that not only meets the regulatory requirements of 15ppm sulphur, but also the additional commercial requirements of a high quality product. High severity hydro treating is known to produce color-unstable products. A variety of reasons are given for the occurrences of poor product color stability, but one common factor is the reactor outlet temperature.

Lubricity (or boundary lubricity) has been defined as “a liquid's intrinsic ability to prevent wear on contacting solid surfaces in the absence of any hydrodynamic lubricating films”. With only 15-ppm sulphur in our future, this may mean more downtime issues within your fuel system. This property has been a concern due to problems experienced with accelerated jet engine failures for low sulphur jet fuels.

The ASTM standard for diesel fuel, ASTM D-975 is being modified to include a specification on diesel fuel lubricity. Lubricity is determined in the fuel quality to prevent or minimizes wear in a diesel fuel system from trucks, busses and stationary equipment. Trace levels of naturally occurring polar compounds which form a protective layer on metal surfaces with in the fuel system largely provide Diesel lubricity.

A refinery hydro treating processes, which reduces the sulfur content of a diesel fuel blend, can also remove these polar compounds. As a result, most of the diesels produced by refineries to meet January 1, 2006 ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) sulfur specifications will not have adequate lubricating properties to meet the new ASTM lubricity specification.

Fuel Additives to Increase Lubricity
In 2004, some major U.S. finished fuel common carrier pipeline companies… announced that they would not allow the transport of diesel fuels already treated with lubricity improvers. This is due to their concerns about “trail back” of the lubricity additive into jet fuel tenders following the additive diesel, which are not allowed to contain these additives. As a result, most lubricity additive usage in the U.S. will take place at fuel terminals.

What To Do...
There are many fuel additives on the market that say they increase lubricity and help lubricate all the components of the fuel system, but don’t be fooled. Most fuel additives are made up of the same five constituents of diesel fuel, which in the end, really do not change any values of the diesel fuel.

Find out the testing method that the fuel additive manufacture is using. Assure they have tested their product using the ASTM D-6078 standard. This will give you and your equipment the assurance that improved lubricity can be achieved and that your diesel fuel is helping protect the fuel system components.

The future of your fuel system is on your hands, be smart and choose the right product for your application. For more info on fuel treatments, feel free to drop us an email with questions you may have.

Manage your subscription to LubeTalk, using the SUBSCRIPTIONS area of this newsletter. You can also signup by visiting lubetrak.com. For more information, call toll-free 1.866.LUBETRAK (1.866.582.3872)

<HR noShade SIZE=1>

Old 06-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Rancha9
Elder User
Eventually, all the diesel fuel will be the new stuff. The warning label is there during the phase-in of the new fuel so owners of 07 models don't dork up their engines while the new fuel is being distributed. Either is OK for the earlier Powerstrokes, however, with the new ULSD, I'd definately run an additive with it, just to make sure the injectors stay nice and lubed...

Old 06-22-2006, 10:51 AM
cc_rider
Junior User
Interesting...

yeah, I noticed the new label at an Exxon when I filled up last weekend. I'm still kinda confused:

1) Sulphur is a good lubricant; it's often added to cutting fluids, oils and greases as a 'high-pressure' additive. Sulphur is why black tapping oil stinks.

2) Sulphur is considered a 'pollutant' and is being eliminated from diesel fuel.

so far, so good. Now for the conundrum:

3) New (2007+) diesel engines can be damaged by LACK of sulphur, BUT soon all diesel fuel will NOT have sulphur in it. Huh? So there's not going to be anyplace to fill up your new diesel truck anymore?

Can somebody 'splain this to me? Am I just being stupid (likely)?

c.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:22 AM
wiingnut
Posting Guru
interesting stuff

Old 06-22-2006, 11:37 AM
1968Mustang
Senior User
Well has anybody checked to see if the common additives like Powerstroke (sp) actually add lubrication to the diesel?

Old 06-22-2006, 11:39 AM
rmilchman
Elder User
From other article, the 2007 require less sulphur then is in the current fuel. That's why the signs say what they do. Once the new fuel is being fully distributed the signs will go away.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:41 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1968Mustang
Well has anybody checked to see if the common additives like Powerstroke (sp) actually add lubrication to the diesel?
Did you mean Powerservice? If so, I am under the impression that it does offer lubricity. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but that is why I use it myself for the most part. If it doesn't, I would certainly like to know.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:45 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rmilchman
From other article, the 2007 require less sulphur then is in the current fuel. That's why the signs say what they do. Once the new fuel is being fully distributed the signs will go away.
This is my understanding as well. Just like when they quit adding lead to gasoline back in the day, the new engines were designed to work on lead free fuel, and the older engines sufferred as a result.
The older diesel engines on the road will need to add something to fuel to take the place of the sulpher IMO.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Customz
Postmaster
Filled up with ULSD yesterday. So far so good!

Old 06-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CC: In response to your conumdrum, the 2007+ diesel engines will not be damaged by the lack of sulphur but too much sulphur. The new diesel engines are being designed to meet stricter emission standards utilizing the newer ultra low sulphur diesel. This new diesel fuel is limited to 15 PPM of sulphur or less. The current diesel fuel is low sulphur diesel and is limited to 500 PPM of sulphur or less. If a diesel engine designed for the ultra low sulphur diesel is operated on the low sulphur diesel, it's my understanding that the catalytic converter used on the new diesel engines and possibly the EGR system will be damaged by the excess sulphur.

However, the 2007 Super Duty with the 6.0 PSD will be able to operate on the current low sulphur diesel fuel. This information was distributed to all Ford dealers about 3 weeks ago via a broadcast message. I believe the new 6.4 PSD will require the ultra low sulphur diesel fuel.

Additionally, you are correct in that sulphur is a good lubricant. However, it's my understanding that the refiners are supposed to be adding lubricants to the ultra low sulpher diesel fuel to replace the sulphur that has been stripped from the diesel fuel. I will continue to use Diesel Kleen by Power Service to be on the safe side as it not only provides a cetane boost but also adds lubricants to the fuel.