New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

What vehicle project(s) do you have going on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What vehicle project(s) do you have going on?

I have been thinking about posting a thread like this for awhile, but it took George and Barr to get me to do it. So as the title asks, "What vehicle project(s) do you have going on?" I am just curious as to what everyone is working on. I am not concerned if it is a car, truck, motorcycle, etc. Just what is it, what are you doing with it, what is the purpose (wheeler, racer, etc.) of your project, what are your future plans for it?

Here is what I have:

1993 Range Rover LWB that I was building into a wheeling rig. Removed the EAS (air suspension) for OME heavy duty coils with Bilstein HD shocks which gave it about a 2-inch lift. Running on 235/85R16 Interco Trxus MT tires on the stock rims. Jotto Desk for my laptop that runs Delorme Street Atlas and Topo mapping software for travel and wheeling purposes. Other than that pretty much stock and will probably stay that way now that the wife has claimed it as her vehicle.

So now my project vehicle is my 1999 F-350 SC V10 4x4 plow, haul, tow truck. Purchased primarily as a replacement to my 1977 F-150 plow truck and I was planning on going back into sportscar racing and use it as tow vehicle. Has a 8-foot Western Pro-Plow and just installed a 3.5 Fabtech hanger kit to level the truck with Bilstein 5100 shocks, Fabtech adjustable trackbar, SuperLift drop pitman arm and trackbar bracket. Extended the swaybar links and installed Energy Suspension ploy bushings. Running the stock rims with 285/75R16 BFG MT for the winter and 305/70R16 Dick Cepek FC II on AR Baja 16x10 rims for the summer. Looking for a new wheeling rig that will probably be a dedicated wheeler so the SD will probably be towing and traveling so those may lead to other mods. Time will see.

So what do you have? Post up what you are working on.

Old 06-18-2006, 12:53 AM
F350JOHN
More Turbo
Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
I am in the middle of a big set of projects on my 1992 F-350 crew cab.

1. I am installing a shackle reversal 3" suspension correction / lift kit.

2. I am painting it.

3. I am taking out the aweful 460V8, and installing a Cummins. (Sac-religious? Maybe. Don't burn me too bad for this one!!! LOL)

Old 06-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Hey John. How did you end up posting in the NY Chapter as I see you are from CO? Welcome and I don't it matters if you are going to put a Cummins into your Ford. There are a lot of sites devoted to that and there was a recent post on Pirate where one of the Four Wheeler TTC competitors is just finishing up that exact swap, but into a 1999 F-450. Good luck with your swap. Let me know if you do a thread on it as it would be interesting to follow.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
#1. 79 ford bronco - needs everything

#2. 87 suzuki samurai - needs clutch , engine rebuild( to get more than 60 hp), shocks, exhaust( gonna go with a header and 2" pipe vs stock 1 1/4").....

#3. 91 eagle talon - needs brakes, tranny work, and deperately needs some body and paint work( got the car that way)

#4. 1994 lincoln continetal - getting a new engine. blown head gasket and bearing shot

Old 06-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
JD - I thought you were finishing rebuilding your Bronco? It needs everything now???

What are the plans for the Zuk? Being that the wife has taken over my Rover I am looking for a new wheeling rig and I have two friends that have Zuks just sitting in their yards I am trying to get them to part with. So far no go, but I am still trying.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
the zuk just needs 145k+ TLC. and a paint job. already retinted the windows. also needs a new larger altenator( bigger than 35amps) so i can run lights and a kicking stereo.

the bronco gave me all sorts of problems or the last year. it needs new exhaust, the pipes are all rusting thru. i'm losing power. the main pulley isn't spinning in a nice circle anymore, more like an ellipse now( think its time for a rebuild) and needs all new shocks to smooth the ride a bit. the 32x1150 tires i put on helped a bit with that as well.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
JD - it sounds like you are using the Zuk on the road? What has been your experience with it on the road? I have been checking with people that have them as even though mine (if I get one) will be a trail rig, a lot of the places that I wheel require some driving to get to.

Sorry to hear about the Bronco. I thought you were getting close to completing it. Although I doubt any of are vehicles are ever totally complete. I always find something else to work on or modify on my rigs.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
yes i drive it maily on the road. top speed is about 65 on a flat road, 70 if you push it. car only had 60hp out of the factory. it does drive good and is good on gas mileage.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:41 AM
captchas
started another ron. a 53 f 100 no motor or running gear. found a 337 inch flat head that was already is in a frame and running. thats going into the f100 . a bit at atime
also playing around on dry weather days with with my 2006 ural motor cycle. man that side car is fun to handle .i've got the left turns down just turning right it don't lean so it's turn em slow.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
JD - Is your Zuk a hard or soft top? How do you find the heater during the winter? I realize that the Zuks are only 1.3 liters so I am not looking for a barn burner in performance. I am just considering one for wheeling, but some of the wheeling I do is up to a two hour drive to get to and I wheel during the winter too so I am just trying to see how well the Zuk will suit my needs. How far are you driving yours and what kind of mileage are you getting?

Charlie - sounds like a cool project. 1953 F-100 with a flathead!!! What kind of motorcycle do you have with the sidecar? That is one thing that I have not done. I have never riden or driven a motorcycle with a sidecar. I have done motocross, enduro, trials, road racing, and touring, but not ever with sidecar. Got any pictures up of them?

Old 06-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
zuk is a hard top. heat works toooo well. so far getting roughly 20mpg with a bad clutch and possible leaky head gasket(engine is running very hot)

Old 06-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jdenninger
zuk is a hard top. heat works toooo well. so far getting roughly 20mpg with a bad clutch and possible leaky head gasket(engine is running very hot)
Wow!!! I am impressed. I was thinking I was going to freeze my you know what off in the thing. How far do you normally drive yours on the road at one time? There are some places that I wheel that are over 100 miles away on a mixture of highway and 4 lanes. Is that doable or will it beat the crap out of me? You can really see the Range Rover pampered me. I could drive that thing cross country, wheel it, and drive back in total comfort and it would do very well wheeling too. If it wasn't for how heavy a Range Rover is I would just get another one. However I haven't ruled out getting one and gutting it including cutting the top off, removing all the doors, and caging it. But I really would prefer a closed top vehicle for snow wheeling.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:35 AM
captchas
ron
it's a russian made ural. troyka model in black and red looks a lot like a shaft drive bmw "my first shaft bike " flat 2 like a bmw w a ohv motor it's only 40 hp, 2 years unlimited miles warrenty. check out http://www.imz-ural.com/ it's a ball to ride and have fun with.

we even went out one day wife ,myself and one of our golden retrievers .sat her in the hack with a childs helmet on her .she just sat there enjoying it, wind in her face. now how do i keep her out as she wants to go some more?

Last edited by captchas; 07-05-2006 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Charlie - very interesting on the Ural. I was not familiar with them. What got you turned onto them? Based on a BMW is not a bad thing at all. I bet it is a nice ride. How is it on your back?

JD - I will give you call later on. I do have a few questions for you on the Zuk.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:00 PM
captchas
for 10k it runs rides smooth not like a bimmer but ok. and gets 45 mpg's .what else do you need ?. even the hack is fun as i can go food shopingwith it for milk and such.
the back don't ask.

Quick Reply: What vehicle project(s) do you have going on?