question on splitting the reaction while making bio

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 10:20 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
question on splitting the reaction while making bio

While I was doing some reading on using magnesol for cleaning the biodiesel, over on biodiesel.org One of the guys posted some of the research paper done by ISU, I ran across them talking about what they have been dong during the conversion process that is kind of interesting, and I might try it with my next batch to see if it helps any. they claim they are getting a more complete conversion to bio and less soap doing it this way.
So the process involves only putting in 80% of your methyl-hydroxide mixing for 1-2 hrs letting the glycerol settle and draining most of it off, then putting in the last 20% and mixing it again then resettling. I can see where this might make a better conversion even if it does invole a little more time, and energy, in the end having better quality diesel would be worth the little extra time.
So anyone have an opinion or tried it this way?

Old 06-17-2006, 09:17 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
While I was doing some reading on using magnesol for cleaning the biodiesel, over on biodiesel.org One of the guys posted some of the research paper done by ISU, I ran across them talking about what they have been dong during the conversion process that is kind of interesting, and I might try it with my next batch to see if it helps any. they claim they are getting a more complete conversion to bio and less soap doing it this way.
So the process involves only putting in 80% of your methyl-hydroxide mixing for 1-2 hrs letting the glycerol settle and draining most of it off, then putting in the last 20% and mixing it again then resettling. I can see where this might make a better conversion even if it does invole a little more time, and energy, in the end having better quality diesel would be worth the little extra time.
So anyone have an opinion or tried it this way?
Ive talked with Prof Van Gorpin at ISU, those were preliminary tests, He found that there was a potential for excess soap formation using the 80-20 percent system. It seems that if you have ANY water in it, and use just 80 percent mix first the water will react with the Lye and produce MORE soap. I have the link to his COMPLETE study, and will try to find it and post it here.

FABMANDELUX.