Loss of power OBD says Ignition Coil B

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:01 PM
vitas
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of power OBD says Ignition Coil B

I have a ford F150 1998 with a 1997 4.6L engine 92,000 miles.

While my wife was driving the truck it first experienced a loss of power and rough engine while going up hill. This rapidly deteriorated in almost a complete loss of power and the engine sounding like it was going to blow up. She just barely made to a gas station and called me. Next morning we had it towed to my house.
Before this happened I noticed a slightly rough idle on starting that would disappear as soon as i gave a some gas a couple of times before this happened. I also replaced the lower manifold intake gasket and ignition wires and spark plugs about a month ago. No coolant leak that I can find anymore.

I performed an OBD test with a actron super scanner. Idle sounds good I haven't tried to drive it.

Below were my only bad trouble codes.

P0352p/d Mod$10 2/2
Ignition Coil B
Primary Secondary Circuit Malfunction

My question is what should I do next. Does this mean I have a bad ignition coil or do I need to do further testing.
Vitas

Old 06-16-2006, 04:21 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like a bad coil, get a Haynes manual and ohm check the coil to verify. I believe that Coil B is on the drivers side.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:59 PM
vitas
New User
Have manual and I will check the coil

I won't have much time to work on it this weekend but I might be able to at least check the coil.
What I was really wondering was if I could be getting the same reading from something else like a bad timeing belt

Old 06-17-2006, 11:57 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
This is an electrical fault related to the circuit including the B coil (driver's side).

Either the coil has come unplugged, it has opened internally (primary winding), a wire in its supply circuit has opened, the wire from the coil to the PCM has opened, or the PCM has failed.

Start with the easier stuff and work towards the harder ones.

Steve

Old 06-19-2006, 10:43 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by vitas
I won't have much time to work on it this weekend but I might be able to at least check the coil.
What I was really wondering was if I could be getting the same reading from something else like a bad timeing belt
Anything effecting that coil could get that code to come up. Funny that you didn't get any misfire codes.

Again, anything effecting that coil. Plug wires or even a plug itself will cause the computer to see problems with the coil.

There's no timing "belt" - it's a chain. I doubt you slipped a chain

Report back when you get a chance!

Old 06-19-2006, 11:04 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Anything effecting that coil could get that code to come up. Funny that you didn't get any misfire codes.
The electric circuit integrity check takes priority during testing. No point in testing for misfires if you already know the coil can't fire half the cylinders.

My previous point covers most of the possibilities.

Here's the first step from the PCED diagnostic for this code:

E2 CHECK FOR POWER AT COIL PACK CONTAINING COIL 1 AND COIL 2

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0351 and P0352 are ignition Coil 1 and 2 primary circuit faults.

Possible causes:

-- Open or short in Ign Start/Run circuit.

-- Open CD-1 or CD-2 circuit in harness.

-- CD-1 or CD-2 shorted to ground in harness.

-- Damaged coil pack (coil)

-- Damaged PCM.

l Disconnect coil.

l Key on, engine off.

l Measure voltage between IGN Start/Run circuit at coil harness connector and ground.

l Key off.

l Was voltage greater than 10.0 volts?

Yes
IGN Start/Run circuit is OK.

For DTC P0351 or damaged CD1 circuit:

GO to «JE5».

For DTC P0352 or damaged CD2 circuit:

GO to «JE15».

No
IGN Start/Run fault. CHECK condition of related fuses/fuse links. If ok REPAIR open circuit. If fuse/fuse link is damaged CHECK IGN Start/Run circuit for short to ground. REPAIR as necessary. COMPLETE Misfire Monitor Repair Verification Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2A, «Drive Cycles»). RERUN «Quick Test».
Steve

Old 06-19-2006, 11:58 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Just to clear something up:

I've had the primary circuit coil trouble code come up when there was water in one of the spark plug holes. So anything going on AFTER the coil can cause that code to come up too.

Neither Ford nor any other manufacturer forsees all possible failure modes.

This is one of the reasons that no matter how good the diagnostic tools are, you still have to use your brain sometimes instead of blindly following Ford's flowcharts. It's a good place to start, but doesn't hold all the answers

Old 06-19-2006, 02:18 PM
vitas
New User
bad secondary

First I must apologize for posting to the wrong Forum. the engine is a 4.2 not an eight cylinder 4.6.
The resistance on the secondary ignition circuit is 13.5 and according to my manual should be between 6.5 and 11 K. So I am going to replace the coil reset the computer and see what happens from there.

Thank you for your help and it did help.

Vitas

Old 06-29-2006, 11:31 PM
vitas
New User
I have replad the coil and after driving it for a ouple of weeks everything seems to be ok. Thank you for your help.

Vitas