Notices

taillight question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:49 AM
ALAN_50501
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taillight question

im looking to get new tail lights for my truck..ive been looking to get ALTEZZA..why is it they can be so cheap on ebay but yet so high if you was to order them from some place like jc whitney?? has anyone ever brought them off ebay?? can some of you post pics of yours so i can see what they at least look like if i was to get them for mine.. heres one paid ive been thinking on buying..theres a buy it now price on these for 21.99 +24.99 shipping

Last edited by ALAN_50501; 06-11-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:16 PM
bucky440
Senior User
I bought ALTEZZA tail lights last year on ebay for my Excursion at about $60 a pair. So far no problems with them. I think there is a ton of this stuff coming in from China and there are many retail paths. A lot of these on line sellers work on low mark up. But always watch the shipping charges. Often they are very inflated, that's where these guys sometimes hide their fat proffit.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:34 AM
Smaug
Posting Guru
I've got some on my Flareside I bought a couple yrs ago. No problems except the tabs on one of the plugs didn't want to line up w/ the hole. I trimmed the tabs w/ a knife and it was a perfect fit. Bucky is right about the low mark up. I'll bet alot of ebay sellers just have inventory stashed somewhere, no real store. I paid about $35 for mine but I got them from a guy that changed his mind b4 he ever installed them.
If you do get them, run a bead of clear silicone around the seal just to be safe!

Old 06-12-2006, 10:23 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> why is it they can be so cheap on ebay

They could be counterfeit. I have seen counterfeit FL-1A oil filters, I imagine copying a more expensive lens would be bigger business.

Don't discount the five finger discount.

See where that big E-Bay seller of legos, ended up being busted with $500,000 of stolen inventory from local stores?

Old 06-14-2006, 06:07 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by rebocardo
> why is it they can be so cheap on ebay

They could be counterfeit. I have seen counterfeit FL-1A oil filters, I imagine copying a more expensive lens would be bigger business.
I havent seen them that cheap on ebay... and usually they want $30 or more for shipping.

Anyhow, I got tailights off ebay and really like them. I never cared for the tailights on my f150... thought that lacked much style. But I personally have never been a fan of chrome, especially on my 4x4. Since my truck is green with black trim I looked for something black. I eventually decided to go with carbon fiber so it didnt look too plain. Plus the more greyish look of carbon fiber matched the dark grey trim on the truck. I like the 3-d look of the new tailights, think it gives the truck a more mondern look. I also have a carbon fiber ford emblems to put on but I havent yet. The projector lights I got on ebay are also black housing.

Last edited by 78bigbronco; 06-14-2006 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:18 AM
ALAN_50501
Senior User
im just looking for some diff tail lights that arent to much..when i brought this truck the left side has what looks like a dip where they had to big of a builb in it at one time and got the lens hot...some of the ones ive seen on ebay they want just has much for shipping has they do the lens...i just get tired of seeing the same lenses every day i like seeing diff lenses...im time i want to put tailshades on..i had them on my other truck and i really did like them

Old 06-14-2006, 11:26 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
The tailights pictured above are listed $60 inculding shipping. I paid slightly less because I won multiple auctions and got 10% of shipping. If you are at all interested the seller I bought it from has many styles. http://search.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W...exhaustQQhtZ-1 There are other sellers on ebay too, I am not recommending this one inparticular.