Post frame blast/clean

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 08:56 AM
crawlfish
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post frame blast/clean

What to do after the blast? I'm thinking spray painting with grey rustoleum.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Epoxy primer followed by a compatible single stage top coat would be a better choice, por-15, zero rust, rust bullit are also good choices. I have used rustoleum on trailers and have not been impressed with the durability, however many do use it.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:19 AM
stonie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL no offence to be made but i have never heard the word rustoleum used as many times in a single area in my life before i found this website.......... an epoxy primer and topcoat as said before is the best way to go for durability

Old 06-11-2006, 01:39 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would brush the red metal primer rustoleum. It seems to be a little more durable than spray paint. After the primer, then whatever color you want.

Hey stonie, I have an entire truck painted in rustoleum Its good stuff for the price

Old 06-11-2006, 01:49 PM
crawlfish
More Turbo
Originally Posted by stonie
LOL no offence to be made but i have never heard the word rustoleum used as many times in a single area in my life before i found this website.......... an epoxy primer and topcoat as said before is the best way to go for durability
That's 'cause any Wal Mart in US has it on the weekend I'm doing my project and it's cheaper than rattle cans and automotive paints. I bought a new master cylinder and brake booster that I installed and left covered but rusted badly. I thought the original gold patina coating was protective. I wanted to try out the sprayer that came with my compressor see if it'd work so I bought grey rustoleum, and mixed it down with paint thinner, though it didn't recommend it for spraying. It worked good enough to evenly coat and preserve my master cylinder and booster and a bunch of other sundry parts and the transmission too. Don't think it will stay on the tranny since it's unprepared aluminum but who cares.

I posted to find out what was better than that used by the manufacturer since it didn't hold up. Most everyone paints them black but I thought I'd do a little different like grey but I'm not hung up on it really. I'm not hung up on rustoleum if there is a much better not too expensive alternative. Blasted and well coated rustoleum gotta last longer than what came on the truck.
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Epoxy primer followed by a compatible single stage top coat would be a better choice, por-15, zero rust, rust bullit are also good choices. I have used rustoleum on trailers and have not been impressed with the durability, however many do use it.
Epoxy primer sounds good is sprayable and then follow it with single stage top coat of what? any automotive type ? I've heard por-15 and others and some give different reviews but maybe I'm mixing up the stuff that people use to fix and kill rust. I'm intending to blast it first .

Last edited by crawlfish; 06-11-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:05 PM
crawlfish
More Turbo
hey teds, nice gallery btw... you're even more out front w neighbors than i am!

Old 06-11-2006, 07:37 PM
stonie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah nice truck ted, and the rustoleum sounds like great stuff

Old 06-11-2006, 08:29 PM
crawlfish
More Turbo
Okay, I'm laughing now... I'll be out hunting paint soon enough, but first it's off to blasting media... I guess it's gonna be playsand.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
Hey Crawlfish - welcome to the Paint & Body forum.

Since no one has mentioned it, and you're talking about your frame, I'd recommend using either an etching primer or something like Ospho or Metal Ready before any other primer or paint. I probably over-killed my frame by using Ospho & Self Etching primer, but hope to not have to take the '41 apart again, ever.........well, not in my lifetime anyway.

The nice thing about either or is that both are like spraying water so it gets into all those nooks and kranny's that most primers and paints won't.

Good luck on your project, and please keep us informed on your progress.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Carlene
Admom
Almost forgot, as for the rustoleum, thats all I ever used on our dirt-track car and all we plan on using on our Early Bronco. The EB is gonna be a woods vehicle and Rustoleum is affordable plus scratch repairs are much easier to do than professional paint jobs. Now, the '41 is Base/Clear - it will never see the woods unless we had a real bad day.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:02 PM
crawlfish
More Turbo
Talking Welcoming Advice

Thanks very much for your welcome. I have two project trucks now, much to my wife's dismay. This one, the '79 F250, is in need of alot and I don't really think I'll be getting it close to what your classic sounds like. (I'll check out your gallery if you've posted a pic there).

I'm not looking for show quality, but like it decent enough on the outside. If I get it going it will be used to move firewood and tow a tractor, and maybe a boat.

That Ospho and self etching primer combo does sound interesting. Spray like water is a good fact to know, I recognize the value of that. Can I get that most anywhere, or specialty paint stores only? Thanks again.

Last edited by crawlfish; 06-12-2006 at 06:08 PM. Reason: overkill
Old 06-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Carlene
Admom
You can get Ospho at Home Depot (down here anyway), if not, you can get it at any marine or auto paint store.

I think you can only get the self etching primer from an auto paint store.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:48 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Rustoleum is great paint for the price, however it lacks UV inhibitors, so it will fade. Absolutely will fade. Unless of course your truck stays in the garage 24/7 (like most projects? LOL)

Old 06-13-2006, 04:51 PM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why prime the frame? All i do is spray the frames ive doen with nice thick layer of enamel paint, if the frame is going to be seen from all directions sure prime it so it looks better.
If its not goin to be seen dont bother with the primer. All primer does is fill n smooth out rough ares. But thats just me.
Go thick enamel, or get a crappy gun n spray POR 15

Old 06-13-2006, 06:13 PM
crawlfish
More Turbo
Thumbs up Painting Frame - Function over Form

Well, it's not for show, but hey while I'm there might as well get it looking halfway nice. Still, it's covered by a body of sheet metal so maybe it isn't fading right away.

As to the purpose, its strictly function over form; I want it to protect my undercarriage from furthter rust, and make it easier to clean etc. Aren't primers chemically better at adhering directly to bare metal than other paints? I always thought that was their purpose.

I appreciate the responses I've gotten here. Before I buy the paint, I want to ask some more questions about cleaning/blasting .

Last edited by crawlfish; 06-13-2006 at 06:22 PM. Reason: i have reasons

Quick Reply: Post frame blast/clean