Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Loud Thump In Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 06:41 PM
elite64a
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Loud Thump In Reverse

have an 04 explorer XLT w/all wheel drive. Well whenever I was backing out of a parking spot today I had to used the gas to get out instead of the normal idle. Now when I stepped on it the AWD locked it and made a really loud thump I saw it shake the front of the vehicle thats how bad it was. Has anyone else had the same issue? Is this normal? I dont think it is, but I know jack about AWD systems and 4WD drive systems. Any help would be greatly appriciated. I don't want to take it to the dealer and get told its normal when its not since I'm not up to speed yet on this AWD system. Thanks in advance for everyones help.

I know theres a TSB out for this but it doesn't tell me anything. So if anyone knows more I'm all ears.<!-- / message --><!-- no sigs except when logged in -->

Last edited by elite64a; 06-07-2006 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Adding to the subject
Old 06-08-2006, 10:34 PM
the juice
New User
I would like to know this too. When I shift from reverse to forward, something makes a loud clunk when I give it gas immediately after the shift change. If I wait a second or two before give it gas it seems to be ok or if I am extremely easy on the gas after shifting its ok too. What gives? I have 99 Explorer Sport 4.0L SOHC.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:14 PM
elite64a
Senior User
I also had a 2000 explorer XLS 4X4 that did the same as you are describing. My wife would back up put it in drive and almost immediatley try to take off I would always get on to her about it. My guess on your issue is that the transmission hasn't engaged the torque converter for forward motion yet. The issue I'm having is a little different because I know the torque converter is engaged because I'm moving backwards already whenever I turn the steering wheel either full right or left I get that loud thump. It really sounds like the 4WD is engaging at a time its not suppossed to be. Like I said before the last time it did it, it shook the whole front of the car.

Last edited by elite64a; 06-08-2006 at 11:15 PM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 06-09-2006, 09:54 AM
the juice
New User
Ya its weird because, if I have to ever rock my Ex back and forth like if I was stuck in snow, it would be terrible because it would sound like it would brake something because of this clunking.