Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Junior User

Haymanwolf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel gauge pegged?

Has anyone had their fuel gauge stay pegged full? and what was the fix?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

See you on the boards. ….
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 06-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Senior User

Hellrazor1 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
No but mine was stuck at 1/4 after i filled the tank and every day it would jump 1/4 until it was reading right again. Weird..

Was on my '05 at F250 at work.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Postmaster

jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.
Usually it is the float and or sending unit in the tank. Over time the float sometimes absorbs fuel and doesn't work as well, usually indicating less than what is there. Or the sender gets corroded or sticky and reads higher or lower than it should.

Only fix that I know of is to replace the unit which means dropping the tank etc. Depending on how many miles you have, if you drop the tank, you might want to consider changing the fuel pump too since it is in the tank and requires the same work. Manytimes the float/sender/pump is all part of one unit.

Alternatively I had one car where the gauge itself was faulty and had to be replaced.

Once in a great while it is a bad wire connection.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson
Old 06-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Senior User

desrcr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I ownand have owned many Fords, all the fuel gauges read funny (except my 99 Ranger) Some read full until half empty,others would read empty when half full. It seems to be a pretty common.
I rented a Thunderbird with a bad fuel gauge,traded for another with similar problem.
1999 F-350 CC LWB DRW 4x4 V-10 4:30 189k
1999 Ranger xtra cab 3.0 300k
1986 E-250 5.0 160k parked
Old 06-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Post Fiend

PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
dang i wish my fuel gauge would stay at full....
Old 06-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Elder User

CmprSpecial is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you have one of the new SD's with a digital odometer you can get a get a reading of the what the fuel sending unit is sending to the gauge.

Start with engine off and press the trip reset button. Turn the key to the run position (or start it), but don't let go of the trip odometer button. After a few seconds, the odometer will read "TEST". From there you can toggle through the various readings. There are 2 for fuel level. One is an instant reading, the other is for an average (smooths out fluctuations).

Here is a link to another thread that identifies some of the other readings http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=458698

I am no expert, but if the reading is moving down as you drive and the gauge isn't, then a bad gauge would be the likely cause. If the reading is pegged, a sending unit or wiring issue would be where I would focus the diagnosis.

'73 F-350 Trailer Special
Replaced by:
'04 F-250 XLT V-10 4X4 ,3.73 LS, LB, Sport Package, 6820 lbs empty, all stock so far
Old 06-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Posting Guru

2002 F350V10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
On older vehicles, if the fuel gauge wire is disconnected , gauge is decked 1 way, totally grounded out, gauge is decked the other way.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:44 PM
New User

dallasbaker is starting off with a positive reputation.
05' 250 Fuel Gauge - Same Problem

I have had the same problem. 05' SD V8 2wd. I bought this truck a few weeks ago and the gauge was stuck on empty. I lowered the tank to check the wiring connections. After I bolted the tank back in, the gauge is now stuck on full!! Ha! This leads me to belive there is a connection problem somwhere near the tank. I haven't had time to check further, but I plan to put a meter on it next week. I have checked the readout on the dash and it matches.
I agree that this is usually a float problem, but it should not be in a truck that is less than a year old.
If anyone has the schematics for the sending unit or the nominal measurement, I would appreciate them.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:35 AM
New User

Fuel Gauge Stuck - PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Well I broke down and solved my fuel sending problem.
I have an 05 2wd F250 Gas.
The truck was involved in a frontal collision, which may have caused it. The float assembly had actually come off it's bracket and was laying in the bottom of the fuel tank. It was very simple to drain the fuel out and slide it back into place, making sure the tab was bent back over to avoid another occurence.
All of this was made easier by taking the bed of the truck off. You can lower the tank as well, I just found it easier to take the bed off.
Note: The 2 lines going into the tank have connectors that require you to push in on the tabs. It looks like you pull out on them. One is green on the sending line. Not sure what the other is. To get the unit out, just use a screwdriver and hammer to knock the retainer loose.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
I know on certain years of the SD, there was a known issue - if you purposely overfill the tank as far as you can get it, the float will stick at FULL.

Bad thing? You gotta remove the tank to fix it.

I'd still check the wiring and other associated things, especially that check to see what the float is really putting out.
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 01-16-2007, 04:18 PM
New User

point

Good point. I did check the wiring and tested the cluster first. I would recomend this before having to dive into the tank.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:18 PM