Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2002, 09:42 PM
New User

twolfe is starting off with a positive reputation.
68 Ford F100 problems

First let me apologize for the las post with no text, I am new to the board and screwed up. That said, I have a 68 F100, 302 V8 with C6 automatic. I replaced the cam with an Elgin RV grind, replaced the manifold with an aluminum one and added a Holley four BBl (600cfm. i then discovered that truck had a bent exhaust valev on the #3 cylinder.
So I purchased a set of rebuilt heads, at the same time I replaced the cam I installed a new timing chain and gear, I have also installed a new Melling oil pump and rod, and all new Fel Pro gaskets
plus all of the dress up goodies, now to the problem, I have verified that the timing marks are correct, turned the distributor every which way but loose, and cannot get the thing to run. It will start run for about ten seconds and then die, the next time I try to start it will backfire through the carb and then flame up. I have verified the float levels in the carb and have replaced the power valve due to backfire that blew it out. I am at wits end and need help form the Ford experts out there. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Terry
Old 01-16-2002, 10:10 PM
New User

Mil1ion is starting off with a positive reputation.
68 Ford F100 problems

First off !
Welcome to FTE
Second off > you have 60 minutes to EDIT your post,Plus,there is a Preview Panel.

3rd off > Have you checked and re-checked the Firing order with placement of wires?
How much of a turn of the Dizzy did you make ? in degrees.

Dennis

Oh....Please Don't Ask Me Any Tough Questions As:
"I'm Saving Up MY Memory For When I Develop Alzheimer's"

78 F-150 429CJ C6 ,Silver w/Explorer Pkge
641/2 Mustang,Pre-World's Fair Car #8092
64 Fairlane S/C waiting for a 390-4spd.
68-Mustang.Sunlit Gold 80,000 miles
Old 01-17-2002, 04:00 AM
Elder User

jdbanks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jdbanks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
68 Ford F100 problems

If it's backfiring then I've only know that to be a sympton of bad timing. I'd start with running the wires and making sure they're in proper order, then look at your distributor cap and rotor and so forth. I'd bet your problem is in there somewhere. Good luck.

-j.banks-
Old 01-17-2002, 11:26 AM
New User

twolfe is starting off with a positive reputation.
68 Ford F100 problems

Distributor has only been rotated in 180 deg increments, I have also replaced the rotor and cap with new parts, I replaced the coil at the same time, and have added new Accel Super Stock wires, I have also replaced the electronic control module since I was told that it was weak. The only thing I cannot figure out is (maybe stupidity) on the dis cap it has a "1" but this does not correspond with the #1 cylinder on the vehicle, also when I remove thge distributor and bring the #1 cylinder up to tdc the rotor points to the number one cylinder which is what all of the articles I have read stated that this should be correct. I am placing the number #1 plug wire on the terminal in the cap that corresponds with the position of the rotor with #1 at TDC.
Am I screwing up or what, and what is the #1 for on the cap??????

Terry
Old 01-17-2002, 12:13 PM
Senior User

OldFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
68 Ford F100 problems

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 17-Jan-02 AT 01:17 PM (EST)]The firing order for the 302 is: 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

1) Turn the engine until it is at TDC. Drop your distributor in with the rotor pointing toward the pug wire connector on the cap marked "1". You may have to turn the oil pump shaft a bit to get the distributor to fall all the way in. I usually drop the distributor in where it will align with #1, then "bump" the engine with the starter until it engages the oil pump shaft and the distributor drops all the way in.
2) With the rotor pointing at the "1", install your plug wires (with cap on distributor), starting with #1 and moving CCW as indicated by the firing order; Plug #1, plug #5, Plug #4, etc.
3) Hook up your timing light.
4) Start the engine and set timing to 10-12 degrees advanced. If it doesn't start, or backfires, lift the distributor out and rotate it 180 degrees. Restart and time.

NOTE: You can pull the valve cover on the #1 plug side of the engine and warch the rocker arms as you rotate the engine to TDC. Both rockers should be up (valves closed) when you reach TDC. If one is not, turn the crankshaft until you reach TDC again. They should now be up (closed).

OldFords bad attitudes
Old 01-17-2002, 12:25 PM
New User

68 Ford F100 problems

There are TWO TDC's .
One at the top of the power stroke and one at top of the exhaust stroke.

Just make sure you get the correct one.

Dennis

Oh....Please Don't Ask Me Any Tough Questions As:
"I'm Saving Up MY Memory For When I Develop Alzheimer's"

78 F-150 429CJ C6 ,Silver w/Explorer Pkge
641/2 Mustang,Pre-World's Fair Car #8092
64 Fairlane S/C waiting for a 390-4spd.
68-Mustang.Sunlit Gold 80,000 miles
Old 01-17-2002, 03:10 PM
New User

68 Ford F100 problems

Old 01-17-2002, 03:10 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
390, 68, cylinder, distributor, f100, firing, ford, model, number, numbering, order, plug, side, specs, timing