BioDiesel 101 - I need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 11:29 PM
RDC F250 7.3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BioDiesel 101 - I need Help!!

I would like to start making clean WVO to blend with my current @ the pump fuel.
I live in NW Florida, so it's alway hot.

I would like to blend first, then move up to B100 in time.

Q: What's the max blend I should do?? (50 gallon tanks)

Q: I don't want to modify my trucks or engines.

Please help

Bobby

Old 06-02-2006, 12:00 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RDC F250 7.3
I would like to start making clean WVO to blend with my current @ the pump fuel.

Please help

Bobby
Blending WVO and dino-diesel will not work for long. The mixture will not stay mixed, but will seperate into 2 layers, with the heavier WVO going to the bottom of the tank where your fuel pickup is located. Using UNHEATED WVO in your engine will KILL IT. B-100 is pure biodiesel not WVO.

You have 2 choices. Modify your fuel system and burn WVO, or make a processer and make Biodiesel.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:01 AM
NA7.3LIDI
Junior User
Well many will advise you to modify your truck in these ways-
1. have your tanks cleaned, this takes away all those little critters in there that will have a population explosion when vegtable oil comes in. If you don't they will clog filters and gum things up overall.
2. Change all natural rubber to synthetic rubber parts, biodiesel dosen't chew away at synthetics.
3. Maximum blend is B100, as long as the tanks are clean you shouldn't have a problem.
That is what you will need to do to your truck.
The WVO will need to be filtered & processed to run correctly (I believe you need to process it, filtering is a must.
You would have to talk to someone else about equipment you would need. Let me know how this turns out, I want to convert my old Benz...

Old 06-10-2006, 10:44 AM
bowlerman
Freshman User
why will wvo 100% kill your engine, i am running it and doing just fine. i has better lubrication then dino diesel and its does clog anything as long as u filter it well

Old 06-10-2006, 11:02 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bowlerman
why will wvo 100% kill your engine, i am running it and doing just fine. i has better lubrication then dino diesel and its does clog anything as long as u filter it well
As I said; Using UNHEATED WVO will kill your engine. If you use HEATED WVO and start and stop on dino OR biodiesel it will work just fine. I have a Toyota diesel pickup at my shop that belongs to a local that LAUGHED at me for making biodiesel.........He is not laughing anymore. Using unheated WVO will over time coke up the injectors, destroy the IP, and build up behind the rings and cause excessive cylinder wear. In his case it was 22,000 miles. The cylinders had .012 wear,and the inside of the IP was worn so bad it can't be saved! This engine had less than 150,000 miles on it! I set him up with a small bio plant and he's using it in 3 different rigs and happy as a clam. The toyota is going to the scrapper.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 06-10-2006, 11:51 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RDC F250 7.3

Please help

Bobby
By "clean WVO" are you talking about refining it into biodiesel before mixing it? Or did you mean you want to mix filtered WVO directly with the #2?

Biodiesel will mix with #2 diesel in any ratio you choose. You can start with as little as 5% and move up from there.

80 degree Florida mornings are not warm enough to run unheated WVO. WVO must be heated no matter where you live, and that , of course, requires modifications to the vehicle.