Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need Help !! Stumped ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 02:03 PM
670johndeere
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need Help !! Stumped ?

While driving to work yesturday morning approx 3 miles from my home my truck started running rough, and finally stalled. Seemed lilke a lack of fuel. Changed the fuel filter and ran for a few minutes then stalled again. Pondered for a while and started checking fuel delivery. When I pulled the line off the fuel pump ( the line comming from the tank ) it acted like it had vacuum on it " woosh " blowed on the line to see if there was any restriction "none". Started up the truck and got halfway home, truck stalled, did the same thing again with the line and I made it home. I pulled the line off after the fuel pump installed a temp 5/16 line on it and ran it into a bucket and wired the fuel pump to run, ran approx 2 gal before it stopped running. Decided to drop the tank and look for restrictions in the pick up tube. Dropped the tank and found NOTHING. Everything looked good. Pick up screen looked good, all lines were clear, the two vent lines on top of the tank were a little plugged with dirt and grime. Put everything together and still have the same problem. Anyone have any suggestions....... also the tank was full at the time.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Sounds like something might be clogging the mixing chamber on the fuel pickup.
You need to get rid of it anyway.
You could Hutch mod the pickup, or for the best solution, relocate the fuel pump to the end of the pickup like I did. You should hear my truck idle - Purrrrrrr.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:37 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my guess would have been the vent lines clogged up some, creating a vacuum, making the pump work harder.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:39 PM
670johndeere
Senior User
Thanks for the reply guy's. I thought about doing the hutch mod when I had everything apart but didn't have the necessary parts to do it, will have to pick up a few things at work tomorrow. Looks like I know what I will be doing this weekend. Also Kwick. do you alreadyhave a post/link on how you hooked up your in tank pump.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:02 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

I had a similar experience over the Memorial holiday weekend with my '02 F350 PSD. After doing the fuel pressure mod the truck kept running out of fuel with a full tank though. Looked into the fuel filter bowl and the level would be down past the inlet port. I checked voltage at the pump and found none so I hot wired the pump to get home. Further checking revealed that if you apply ignition and do not start the engine, the computer, or something else, shuts the fuel pump down after 5 minutes or so. I don't know exactly how long this takes but it's at least 1 minute.

I removed the fuel pressure mod and the hot wire and everything works fine now. To sum it all up I didn't do anything to repair the pump, it just started working.

I hope you get to the bottom of this.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
If you remove the fuel from the equation, then it sounds like a CPS quitting. Do this. Put a section of fuel line on the filter bowl drain tube and run it into a bucket. The drain tube is visible going down the passenger side of the block. Look in the passenger side wheel well and you'll see it. Once you have it on and into the bucket, open the yellow drain valve and turn on the key. Although I think the fuel pump will cut off before a minute, you should be able to pump about a gallon a minute into the bucket. That should tell you whether the fuel delivery is good to go or not. IF the fuel delivery is ok then look at the CPS.

Andy

Old 06-01-2006, 09:22 PM
670johndeere
Senior User
Ok, I did this the other day, I hooked a piece of fuel line on the outlet side of the fuel pump and ran it into a bucket. I cycled the key several times, about a dozen or so, and still only got about 2 gal of fuel. I held my finger over the hose to restrict flow, and the pressure increased.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think you have a fuel problem. I would replace the CPS. At least then you would have a spare if it doesn't solve the problem which I think it will. Then throw out the old or see if Pop wants it.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:18 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
my guess would have been the vent lines clogged up some, creating a vacuum, making the pump work harder.
I didn't think of that, nice catch! There's some rollover valves on top of the tank that bleed air pressure through an oriface when they are upright. You could verify if they are clogged by removing the filler cap and driving it around for a while.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aren't there 2 vent lines? Hard to believe both would be clogged but the open fuel cap idea would eliminate that. I do know that they Tee off so maybe it is one valve.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:02 AM
670johndeere
Senior User
When I had the tank down I removed the two small vent lines and cleaned them, they were a little plugged up but after cleaning and re-installing the tank I still have the same problem. I was leaning toward the CPS have been reading alot of posts where you guy's have been talking about it. Might give it a try, a little easier than dropping the tank again.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:06 AM
670johndeere
Senior User
Oh I just remembered I am getting a SES light when the truck is starting to run rough, could a fuel problem be contributing to that, or is that more electrical like the CPS.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:07 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Try that CPS before you do anything. Could be the end off your problems if its defective. GoodLuck

Old 06-02-2006, 06:24 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
do you know what code it's throwing? can you find out? it would really help us out.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:38 AM
670johndeere
Senior User
Will the predator read those codes, I have checked for codes before and the only one that came up was the back pressure sensor. I'll try it when I get home from work today. Thanks guy's. Man this sight is really full of knowledge, glad to be a member.

Quick Reply: Need Help !! Stumped ?