6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

What kind of HP/ft-lbs does the 6.4L spec at??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
Nope, it's a real Allison, very similar to what Ford uses in the F-650 and 750. PCM programs notwhithstanding, the Allison can handle a lot more than the Torqshift can. Take them both apart and see for your self! The Torqshift is the best heavy duty automatic Ford has built yet, but some of it is still based on the E4OD/4R100. The 1000 series Allison is in the same family as the 2000 seriers medium truck transmission. Very large torque converter, planetary gearsets, big shafts. Watch for Dodge to start using the Aisian heavy duty automatic. Very stout piece!

Old 08-24-2006, 09:34 AM
pstrang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So why does/did the 'beefy' Allison have to defuel in gear? That doesn't sound like a well-built tranny to me. They all defuel while shifting gears, but the GM-designed tranny is unique with that feature. Not even the Mopar had to do that. BTW, a real Allison tranny (the ones that Ford uses) won't fit under a light duty pickup. Hence the redesign by GM. Otherwise, why not use it, why design a new (weaker) one?

The TS really has proven itself so far. Though it would be nice to have some of the GM/Allison features (i.e. up/down shifting button).

Old 08-29-2006, 10:47 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
The biggest reason for the defuel on the shifts, is for longevity of the tranny. The clutches are the weakest part of an allison, an they will burn up and about + or -400RWHP. Otherwise the allisons shafts, and overall casing are very strong. Defuels are basically keep mad stuck people from abusing a tranny any worse than it can be under those circumstances.

BTW I have heard that the Aisian Tranny is a chinese Allison knockoff, I think their might be a patent war over that entire deal from what tranny builders have said. IDK

Old 08-29-2006, 11:37 PM
pstrang
Senior User
Right, I understand why all trannies defuel on the shifts. But I don't understand why only the allison defuels IN certain gears. If the shafts are so strong, that doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I agree....things are changing for all the big-3 2007+ and will get interesting over the next couple years.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:48 AM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by duramaximizer
BTW I have heard that the Aisian Tranny is a chinese Allison knockoff, I think their might be a patent war over that entire deal from what tranny builders have said. IDK
That's a good one. Aisian Transmission is Japanese, and they have been around for years. They are one of Toyota's biggest transmission suppliers, and they make the larger automatics for some of the Japanese medium duty trucks you see here. They are very good, but can be expensive when repairs are needed. I have never heard that they were having a despute with Allison, but who knows?

Old 08-30-2006, 11:08 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
I don't know either............but it was on another GM diesel site that said that......It is hard to tell. When you look at the cutaway, they look pretty similar. IDK.

BTW defuels are not to save the shafts in the tranny, the defuels are to save the clutches that have to mesh together. It is normally in the first 3 gears that you have defueling. 1st to 2nd gear is were most of the damage would occure without defuel esp when applying all of that hp at 10mph and then shifting. It would kill the clutches. Just because the tranny is strong/heavy built, doesn't mean that the clutches can hold together. They slip and create a limp mode/code. If it wasn't for the weak clutches in the Allison, it would be extremely bullet proof.

Last edited by duramaximizer; 08-30-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:59 PM
MofW
Mountain Pass
What is the TS rated for pulling? I read a few years ago went GM started using Allison that it is rated at 26,000lbs. As anyone got the new Diesel Power mag? I just got it and there's an article about a guy that ran a 10.73 with his Dmax. The article stated that his TechII read 5760rpm when the stock Allison input shaft snapped.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:36 AM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by MofW
What is the TS rated for pulling? I read a few years ago went GM started using Allison that it is rated at 26,000lbs. As anyone got the new Diesel Power mag? I just got it and there's an article about a guy that ran a 10.73 with his Dmax. The article stated that his TechII read 5760rpm when the stock Allison input shaft snapped.
pretty high rpm's for a diesel... i would like to see that tch myself!!!

Old 09-03-2006, 04:41 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 18vtx00
pretty high rpm's for a diesel... i would like to see that tch myself!!!

I would have to agree with you there.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:27 PM
fast_st
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd go with the following, just as in other fields, there is peak HP and torque, and then there is what's called 'area under the curve' So rather than boasting one huge peak HP number which doesn't really does not indicate usable power, someone should look at the area under the curve. I have a bluesmoke dirt bike that makes close to 90hp, but its huge HP and torque peak are just that, peak, there isn't any power at idle, some at midrange and once the peak passes, so does the power. A cat 3208 can be delivered with 225hp, but its so big and flat (lots of AUC) that it'll make 40,000 pounds of truck move right along. Big peak numbers are for cars and boats and bikes, trucks need a big AUC to be effective.

-Jason

Old 09-09-2006, 11:32 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All this talk about the Allison tranny being so strong, but at the same time talking about how it has to defuel to save the clutches. In my book, something is only as strong as it's weakest link. If a chipped 400+ hp Max will burn up an Allison tranny, then I say it sucks. I don't care what part it is that is wearing out, or how big the shafts are and how much they can theoretically handle. Fragging a tranny is fragging a tranny. Period.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:32 PM
fordfaninIL.
Senior User
I hate to burst your bubbles, but the Torqueshift is not a great tranny. They have catastrophic planetary failure and Ford is very aware of this. As for the Dodge tranny, they are headed for the Mercedes heavy trans. As far as tt's, they are not for loads of hp and tq. They run loads of boost and a waste gate to meet emmissions.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:32 PM
ExcursionPSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordfaninIL.
I hate to burst your bubbles, but the Torqueshift is not a great tranny. They have catastrophic planetary failure and Ford is very aware of this. As for the Dodge tranny, they are headed for the Mercedes heavy trans. As far as tt's, they are not for loads of hp and tq. They run loads of boost and a waste gate to meet emmissions.
Have you spent much time searching thru these forums for information about this Torqueshift catastophic planetary failure?

It seems odd that there is not much evidence of such taking place. The criticism of the 6.0L PSD engine is certainly easy to find.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:39 AM
ExcursionPSD
Senior User
Could fordfaninIL have been referring to this production fault from 2004?

Recall on 2004 TorqShifts:
Certain trucks built from 3-8-04 through 6-24-04 may experience a failure of the low/reverse planetary assembly. Specifically one or more of the planet gear pinion shafts may walk out of the carrier. If this occurs metallic contamination of the fluid will occur and will cause harsh or slipping shifts and/or harsh or delayed engagements in forward or reverse. Trucks affected by this recall will have the low reverse planetary replaced if no damage has occured, or will have the transmission overhauled and repaired as needed, along with replacement of the transmission cooler, if damage has occured. This recall has been extended until 3-31-06
Customer Statisfaction Program 04B24.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:10 AM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
I think that was some issue with the assembly. Like wrong snap ring, or snap ring not installed properly. It has nothing to do with the design or how strong the tranny is. That was a manufacturing error which was rapidly corrected.

Quick Reply: What kind of HP/ft-lbs does the 6.4L spec at??