quick question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:45 PM
blueovalboy86
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quick question

i have a 83 ranger with a 2.0 carbed motor with 4 speed. i found a 2.3 carburated motor connected to a 5 speed in the junk yard. i would rather have a 2.3 and 5 speed rather than a what i have now. are they basically the same engine with just a bigger stoke and bore? so i was basically wondering if i could pull mine out and drop that motor in and trans right in. or do i need to modify driveshaft length or something? oh and the motor and trans i found are in the sam body style ranger that i have but im not sure on the exact year. but yea thanks for any help

Old 06-10-2006, 02:22 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The 2.3 is externally identical to the 2.0 and is therefore a direct bolt-in swap. The 5-speed may be slightly longer then the 4-speed, so I would grab the driveshaft from the truck at the same time you get the motor and tranny.

Old 06-10-2006, 05:04 AM
blueovalboy86
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok yea that would be the problem. that truck is a ext cab. short bed. and my trucks sing. cab short bed. but i think theres another sing. cab short bed with the 5 speed in the junk yardso i might grab the drive shaft off that truck. thanks for the help