1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1997 F-250 Powerstroke Ford Diesel Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Hogfan22
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ron McCafferty what do I do to check the fuel cranking pressure I need steps to do this and do I need someone to help me.Tell me what I need and where everything is at.Thanks ron.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:36 AM
Ron McCafferty
Junior User
You will need a fuel pressure gauge that goes to at least 80 PSI that will fit on a Ford schrader valve (schrader valve looks like a tire stem) and it is located on the left side of the fuel filter housing. You should not need any help. The gauge usually comes with a long enough hose that you can hold while cranking. Do you know where the fuel filter is located? If not, it is under the cover that is on top of the engine. It has a lid that flips up. It may be a little difficult to get the gauge hose on the schrader valve due to some brackets and harness in the way, just work it around them. Screw the end of the gauge hose on the schrader valve and make sure it is tight. Then hold the gauge while cranking the engine over and watch the gauge. The needle on the gauge will fluctuate a lot due to the nature of the pump but should read somewhere around 18-22 psi. You should be able to get a gauge at any automotive parts place that sells tools. The kit usually comes with two adaptors for Ford and Chevy schrader valves (Ford's is smaller than Chevy's)Not that I notice these type of things LOL!! Got any problems or questions just ask. Usaully check the site around lunch time.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Mel G
New User
Hey Ron...sounds like you know what your talking about, so here's my problem. 1997 7.3 powerstroke...will run fine for a while and then just starts running rough/idle rough. Sometimes I can kill it and restart, and it takes care of the problem, sometimes not. Fuel filter would get clogged with sand sized particles that disentegrate when touched, so we figured it might be bad fuel, drained & removed & cleaned tanks. Ran great for a few days, then back to the same old running rough out of the blue. Do you think it might be the CPS? Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks...Mel G

Old 06-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Ron McCafferty
Junior User
Did you happen to notice what the sending unit on the fuel tanks looked like? There should have been a sock or strainer on it which sits on the bottom of the tank. Sounds to me like you have some contamination. Before we get too deep you may want to take a fuel sample. You can do that by attaching a hose to the schrader valve and fill up a CLEAN/DRY glass jar. Let it sit and see if this stuff separates. The contaminants will make it to the injectors eventually. You may also want to try a fuel additive. This will keep the fuel from jelling and remove water. About once a month you may want to drain the water from the fuel filter housing. If you look on the right front corner there should be a yellow lever. just push it to the right and leave it open for about 5-10 seconds. There may be debris in the FPR or fuel pressure regulator. That is right above the schrader valve and it is 3/4". If you remove it be careful not to drop the spring that is behind it into death valley (that is the large black hole beneath the fuel filter housing). I would start there. It won't cost you anything but your time and labor. There are a few other things to look at as well before making any conclusions. Just let me know if you need further assistance. Your welcome, Ron.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Mel G
New User
sending units condition

Hey Ron...Thanks for getting back so fast...the sending units did not have socks on them. The screen on the bottom appeared to not have been clogged, but we washed them in some fresh diesel anyway, before returning them to the tank. We have been using an additive (anti-gelling, anti-algae, anti-water, lubricant ect., type that we purchase from the John Deere tractor place since we can't locate Stanadynd performance in any parts stores here) We also drain the water from the housing on a weekly basis. If there is debris in the FPR, what would you suggest concerning removing the debris? Also, is there a screen in the FPR on the '97 F250 7.3? As soon as hubby gets home with the truck, we will set out to complete your suggestions. Will be looking forward to your reply. Thanks again & God bless. Mel

Old 06-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Mel G
If you can't locate Stanadyne try Diesel Kleen, available at WalMart.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Mel G
New User
Re:additives

Thanks Phydeaux 88! Will check out the Diesel Kleen @ walmart. You must be from around our old stomping grounds in the south texas coast...we lived in Corpus for many years. Any thoughts about our 97 powerstroke problem?Any and all thoughts from you all are appreciated. Thanks & God bless. Mel

Old 06-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Mel G
Corpus is my current stomping grounds; although, I recently bought some acreage near Odem and will be moving to my ranchito soon

Old 06-05-2006, 02:21 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may have to wait to get Diesel Kleen at Walmart.

Originally Posted by F3504ME
I suppose they are a bit touchy about litigation these days...
Here is the official poop...

Thank you for contacting Power Service regarding our products at Wal-Mart. You have encountered one of the following situations: (1) no product on the shelf or (2) product was on the shelf but you were not allowed to purchase it due to a product "recall".

The most important thing for you to know is there is NOT a factory recall of Power Service
diesel additives. All of our products are safe and effective for use in your diesel engine. Any product you may have already purchased is useable and not defective in any way.

The reason for the out-of-stock situation and Wal-Mart initiated recall is that Wal-Mart Stores is taking a very pro-active and cautious approach to new regulations associated with
diesel fuels and diesel fuel additives. Effective June 1, 2006, all diesel fuel additives sold at retail must be compliant with new Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuels. Power Service, in anticipation of these new fuels coming into production, has been ULSD compatible and compliant for the past two years. In addition, the Environmental Protection Agency is requiring that all diesel fuel additives offered at retail have specific labeling. The label required on all diesel fuel additives produced after June 1, 2006 is as follows:

This diesel fuel additive complies with the federal low sulfur content requirements for use in diesel motor vehicles and nonroad engines.

Wal-Mart has decided that they want all products in their inventory to be labeled with this language effective June 1, 2006. For this reason, Wal-Mart has returned all of their inventory of our products to us to be labeled with the proper EPA mandated language. We will then replenish their inventory with the EPA labeled product. We anticipate that the stores will be back in-stock by June 23, 2006. All other competitive diesel fuel additives in Wal-Mart’s inventory have also been returned to the manufacturer. Again, the only issue is one of labeling - there is no problem with with the functionality of the product.

In the meantime if you would like to source our diesel fuel additives, they can be purchased at the following retailers:

o
Advance Auto Parts

o Auto Zone

o Car Quest

o Checkers, Schucks and Kragens Stores

o Murray’s
Discount Auto

o NAPA Auto Parts

o O’Reilly Auto Parts

o Strauss Discount Auto

o Tractor Supply

Please do not hesitate to contact Power Service if you have any problems locating the product you need. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and we look forward to helping you in any way that we can. Thank you for using Power Service diesel additives

Sincerely,
Mandy Storm

Old 06-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by plowhand
You may have to wait to get Diesel Kleen at Walmart.
I had heard about that re-labeling problem also heard that only WalMart is reacting in such a paranoid fashion. Fortunately I have a stockpile and by the time I run out I should be happily burning BioDiesel

Old 06-06-2006, 06:38 AM
Ron McCafferty
Junior User
Mel, if you want to venture into removing the complete FPR assembly all you have to do is remove the cover over the fuel filter housing (3 1/2" nuts), then remove the fuel line from the regulator and there are 3 10mm bolts that hold the regulator. Just be careful for there are parts that can fall out when removing it. There you will find the screens and if there are rubber chunks clogging that screen that is o-ring material which is normal from assembly when new (provided that the screens have never been cleaned before). If you do that, one thing you may want to do is, that schrader valve for checking fuel pressure? Put a 90degree brass fitting on it so that the schrader valve points up. This will make checking fuel pressure much easier. May God Bless You. Thank you for believing in Him.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Mel G
New User
Thank you Ron!

Thank you so much for all the help you've given myself and others! Hubby took the truck to Autozone yesterday and they hooked it up to the computer and said nothing is wrong...of course the truck was running great at the time, and if I understand correctly, the truck computer keeps a log of any problems that occur, so it would have relayed that info to the diagnostic computer, right? So, anyway, when he gets home today, we will make plans on removing the FPR per your instructions, and take your advice on the 90 on the schrader valve! Will let you know how it goes! If all of Gods children stick together and help each other out, maybe there is hope for this world. Can't thank you enough...if you ever have need of a machinist, let me know. Hubby and I are both in the field, manual & CNC. Thanks again & God bless. Melinda

Old 06-07-2006, 06:13 AM
Ron McCafferty
Junior User
You are very welcome. Any time that you need help. I am here to serve. May God bless us all.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:12 PM
AlaskaRedneK
New User
I hope you guys git it figgerd out. That is pretty discouraging.

Best of luck.
-Stouff

Old 10-07-2010, 11:50 AM
f250&diesel
New User
97 7.3 stalling out

my powerstroke will run for a few miles then the engine will die completely out of nowhere. after i coast off the side of the road and sit for a minute i can start it back, not without pumping the gas pedel. i have replaced the cps already and the fuel filter. i can see some fuel or oil setting in the engine valley, anyway i dont where to go from here.......any advice would sure help. thanks from f250&diesel.......stranded in burlington,nc

Quick Reply: 1997 F-250 Powerstroke Ford Diesel Problems.