General Automotive Discussion

Jarret going with Toyota for '07 NNC season

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 12:01 PM
alstaregixxer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jarret going with Toyota for '07 NNC season

Got this from another board I'm on......
<TABLE height="100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>"In a decision that has Ford and Nascar fans raging, Dale Jarrett, one of NASCAR’s most popular driver, announced he will switch from Ford to Toyota next year. Jarrett, who is in his 12th year driving a Ford for Robert Yates Racing, becomes the first major defection to the Japanese automaker’s debut in the traditionally American racing series.

Six Toyota Camry’s are set to debut in the Cup Series next year with Waltrip and Jarrett the only two confirmed drivers thus far. Bill Davis Racing will enter two cars as will the new Red Bull Racing team.

American automakers have been bracing for Toyota’s arrival, which is expected to bring an influx of cash into the sport in an effort to win quickly and lure top talent. But aside from Waltrip, who will be one of the three inaugural car owners, Toyota has yet to secure a lineup.

Doug Yates, son of team founder Robert Yates, said they weren’t surprised with the decision..

“Toyota’s history and background is throwing a lot of money around, and here is one of those examples,” he said.

Jarrett insisted financial gain was not the lure.

It’s not clear what will happen with sponsor UPS, which has been on Jarrett’s No. 88 Ford since 2001. The shipping company has spent considerable advertising money to align itself with the driver, and could go with him to Waltrip’s team. Waltrip has made initial inquiries with UPS, which is in the final year of its contract with Yates".

FordMuscle
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=windowbg vAlign=bottom align=left bgColor=#272a2f colSpan=3><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 05-30-2006, 01:49 PM
94van
Posting Guru
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=492139

Whats the problem? All the "Stock" cars now look alike, basically use the same engines, frames, wheels, tires, etc.
About the only difference is the paint job and the name painted on the bumpers. This car will just have Toyota painted on it.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Deere_Daze
Junior User
Thats a BS comment on Yates' part. Money had nothing to do with it. The fact is that RYR is no longer a competitive race team. At least with Toyota, Jarrett will have a fresh start and a chance to go out a winner.
Its funny, Toyota isnt even in Cup yet and people are already whining. I cant wait to see the reaction when a Toyota actually wins.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:54 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
for what it's worth,each manufacture runs their own engines. Nascar approved of course.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:50 AM
NASA_Hokie
Senior User
Except when Toyota came in the truck series, NASCAR gave them an engine from Ford, Chevy, and Dodge to disassemble and study for the building of their own engine. You saw what Toyota did to the IRL, came in, took over, won everything, then pulled out. Of course, if NASCAR flops, it will be more due to the common template and newfound politically correctness of the sport, and less due to Toyota.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:21 AM
markgilmore1322
Senior User
Originally Posted by NASA_Hokie
Except when Toyota came in the truck series, NASCAR gave them an engine from Ford, Chevy, and Dodge to disassemble and study for the building of their own engine. You saw what Toyota did to the IRL, came in, took over, won everything, then pulled out. Of course, if NASCAR flops, it will be more due to the common template and newfound politically correctness of the sport, and less due to Toyota.
More like Honda came into the IRL and started kicking Toyota's butt. Before Toyota announced their IRL pullout, Penske (and I believe Ganassi) announced they were dumping Toyota for Honda. IRL teams were even quoted as saying it's going to be a bad day when Penske has a Honda engine in his IRL cars. And they were right, Penske has won 3 out of the 4 races this year. Toyota also has the largest budget in F1 and they can't compete. I'd be more worried if Honda comes into NA$CAR than Toyota.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:00 PM
Deere_Daze
Junior User
No kidding, Honda was kicking Toyota and Chevy's butt last year.
As far as NASCAR "giving" Toyota engines for the other manufacturers to study, they didnt give them to them, Toyota bought them. So what? Do you honestly think that Ford, GM and Dodge havent bought Toyotas and disected them to see if they could steal some design secrets? If you dont, you need to get real.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:24 PM
markgilmore1322
Senior User
Originally Posted by Deere_Daze
I absolutely loved that Cosworth had to bail Chevy out

Have you also noticed that Michael Waltrip Racing has been fielding cars from every make? The 55 is a Dodge. The Aarons' car in Cup is a Ford. And I believe Bill Elliot is going to run some races for Waltrip in a Chevy. So if that isn't some "Toyota Investigation", I don't know what it is. . .

Ray Evernham even ran Fords for Casey Atwood the year before Dodge's return. The NASCAR Intrepid was even quoted as one of the best looking NASCAR Taurus' ever

Last edited by markgilmore1322; 05-31-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:18 PM
NASA_Hokie
Senior User
Originally Posted by Deere_Daze
As far as NASCAR "giving" Toyota engines for the other manufacturers to study, they didnt give them to them, Toyota bought them. So what? Do you honestly think that Ford, GM and Dodge havent bought Toyotas and disected them to see if they could steal some design secrets? If you dont, you need to get real.
Ummmmm. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge were all in the truck series before Toyota. Toyota had never built a carbureted, pushrod, 358 CID V-8 engine before. So when Toyota was developing a Craftsman Truck Series engine, I highly doubt Ford etc was stealing there secrets, because Toyota didn't have an engine. That was the jist of my post. Maybe Toyota did buy them. From who? It is not like race engines are available on the common market.

NASCAR is slobbering all over Toyota because the amount of money they are going to bring in. Although right now, I am not fearing their lineup of drivers.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:07 AM
MrOldV8
Elder User
Well...I'm taking down the picture of Jarret that's hanging in my garage, now that he's gone to the dark side.

MR

Old 06-01-2006, 07:57 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
as far as racing different brands of cars in the busch series,there is no manufacture support there,so the teams can run any brand car they want from oner week to another,and sometimes in the same race weekend. I remember one race last year when a driver crashed his primary car,which was a dodge,and had to pull out the back up car,which was a chevy.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:38 AM
hawk
Posting Guru
hmmmm japanese cars in nascar? hmmmm and they wont allow any non-japanese people into their national past time sumo wrestling!

Old 06-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Deere_Daze
Junior User
Ummmmm. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge were all in the truck series before Toyota. Toyota had never built a carbureted, pushrod, 358 CID V-8 engine before. So when Toyota was developing a Craftsman Truck Series engine, I highly doubt Ford etc was stealing there secrets, because Toyota didn't have an engine. That was the jist of my post. Maybe Toyota did buy them. From who? It is not like race engines are available on the common market.

NASCAR is slobbering all over Toyota because the amount of money they are going to bring in. Although right now, I am not fearing their lineup of drivers.
I wasnt talking about steal secrets from Toyota's NASCAR technology, I was talking about production vehicles.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Fordzlla
Elder User
Originally Posted by hawk
hmmmm japanese cars in nascar? hmmmm and they wont allow any non-japanese people into their national past time sumo wrestling!
Akebono (I think thats his name) Is one of the most famous sumo wrestlers.
....he's American from Hawaii.
Maybe he's part of Toyota's motivation for trying to infiltrate NAscar

Old 06-02-2006, 07:48 PM
cpe41
Senior User
Maybe Toyota did buy them. From who? It is not like race engines are available on the common market.
I really don't think that Toyota would have any problem finding and buying an engine of it's competitors. They're obviously willing to spend whatever it takes to win....